Comics Update - Aliens: Defiance, Prometheus/Predator: Life and Death

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2016, 08:05:41 PM

Author
Comics Update - Aliens: Defiance, Prometheus/Predator: Life and Death (Read 78,230 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 16, 2016, 02:18:51 PM
I believe someone posted them in the Defiance thread, i'll go look. :)

Found it, Nostomo posted this:
Dang, sales are so-so...maybe need to step up the advertising or?

132/300 ALIENS DEFIANCE #1 $3.99 DAR 16,256
179/300 ALIENS DEFIANCE #2 $3.99 DAR 11,089

What kind of numbers are considered successful?

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jun 16, 2016, 03:30:06 PM
New interview with Abnett specifically about Life and Death. I haven't given it a listen yet, but plan to a bit later.

http://thegww.com/interview-with-dan-abnett-dark-horses-life-and-death-xenoverse-event/

Thanks. Hopefully get chance to listen to this today.

426Buddy

QuoteWhat kind of numbers are considered successful?

I have no idea lol, I was just going off of Nostromo's reaction to the numbers.  :D

Nostromo

I had seen some guys talking about numbers here, reading it again the numbers look good for Defiance.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=21973.150

vikingspawn
June 27, 2009, 01:13:19 PM

Q

Quote from: XenoVC on June 27, 2009, 12:13:10 AM

Quote from: vikingspawn on June 26, 2009, 10:02:05 PM

ALIENS #1 sold very well and ranked #103 in the Top 300 of comics sold in May:

#103 - ALIENS #1 (OF 4) $3.50 DAR    19,598 (Estimated quantities)

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/15147.html

It's also the 4th best selling comic in May for Dark Horse.    

Eh....you would think that a relaunch of a series like Aliens would do better.

19,500 is very good in todays plunging comic marketplace. 

The Dark Horse/Star Wars comics sell in the early 20,000 range and those are thier best sellers.   The last Indiana Jones mini series from last year only sold 14,000 and that had a movie in theaters to promote it.  These numbers are better than I thought.      

I think these high "Aliens" numbers will hopefully convince them to produce more regular monthly Aliens books soon.    The "Predator" first issue numbers should be available in a few weeks.

The Comic Collector J

The Comic Collector J

The estimates in sales I am seeing are that Aliens Defiance #1 was the top Dark Horse seller in April with sales just over 16,000. In May Defiance # 2 sold just over 11,000 and was the the number four top seller for Dark Horse. Keep in mind, May was heavy in competition as we saw the launch of Civil War # 0 along with DC Universe Rebirth # 1, Punisher # 1, Captain America Steve Rogers # 1 and a new Deadpool series. Competition was crazy for Dark Horse and Aliens so comic readers had a lot to go after last month.

Looking at Fire and Stone Aliens numbers it sold just under 20,000 for issue one and didn't dip below 13,000 until issue four in comparison.

As for the question is it selling well? Aliens Defiance sold 16,000 in April in comparison (if that is even considered fair) Black Panther # 1, the top seller of the month, sold 253,000, Star Wars Poe Dameron # 1 sold 175,000 and was the second highest and Dark Knight III Master Race sold 143,000 and placed third. But Aliens did outsell well known series like James Bond and Back to the Future along with Injustice to name a few. So personally, I believe the numbers are around where Dark Horse projected them to be.

Nostromo

They should buy some advertising on this site and some others like Facebook/Scified...tweet it out through some Aliens network.

Hey, anyone know why Aliens: Defiance #3 is releasing in July? https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/29-852/Aliens-Defiance-3

Thought it was June for sure. Might as well give in and buy Prometheus #1 instead of waiting for the TPB's than.

Ultramorph

Yeah, I don't know why there's no Defiance issue this month, but it might have something to do with needing a fill-in artist.

426Buddy

I can't wait for the next Defiance issue, I'm going through withdraws waiting lol.

I got my Prometheus #1 issue finally, that Dorman cover is the bee's knee's. The issue was alright, not much happened that I wasn't already expecting.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

October solicitations are here! Beware of spoilers, as usual:

Aliens: Life and Death #2 (October 19)
Spoiler

QuoteLeave no man behind!
Aliens: Life and Death #2 (of 4)
Dan Abnett (W), Moritat (A), Rain Beredo (C), and David Palumbo (Cover)
On sale Oct 19
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Miniseries
Up till now, the Colonial Marines have been reacting to attacks by the Predators and the Engineers. But having escaped LV-223, they make the decision to return and fight -- against the deadliest adversaries in the galaxy!
• Aliens versus Colonial Marines!
[close]

Predator vs. Judge Dredd vs. Aliens #4 (October 26)
Spoiler

Quote"An epic face-off." -- Comic Book Resources
Predator vs. Judge Dredd vs. Aliens #4 (of 4)
John Layman (W), Chris Mooneyham (A), Michael Atiyeh (C), and Glenn Fabry (Cover/Variant cover)
On sale Oct 26
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Miniseries
Road trip! The mad, gene-splicing scientist Dr. Reinstöt is having the best summer ever as he hits the road toward Mega-City One. He's got a sweet ride: a stolen Predator ship! He's got his new BFF, the murderous Archbishop Emoji, riding shotgun. And he's got snacks... or maybe he is a snack... for his homegrown crew of xenomorphs. Spoilsport Judge Dredd and his killjoy Predator friends are hot on their tail, trying to ruin everyone's fun, but Dr. Reinstöt has a secret weapon that will keep the party going. Until the end of time! Which might be tomorrow, if Reinstöt has his way. Either way, it's going to be a killer time.
• Copublished with IDW and 2000 AD!
• Pencil variant cover by Glenn Fabry.
[close]

No Aliens: Defiance that month?  :'(

Just re-read the Aliens: L&D solicitation, and
Spoiler
it's pretty ironic that the Marines seem to be going back to rescue Galgo. :laugh: I just want to see Lorimer's face when he realizes how much exploitable xenotech is on the planet.
[close]

HuDaFuK

Once again, superb artwork!

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

November solicitations are here!
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dark-horse-november-2016-solicitations-buffy-season-11-ether-forbidden-brides-more

Aliens: Life and Death #3 (November 16)
Spoiler
QuoteTo the Last Man!
Aliens: Life and Death #3 (of 4)
Dan Abnett (W), Moritat (A), Rain Beredo (C), and David Palumbo (Cover)
On sale Nov 16
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Miniseries
Having returned to LV-223 to save one of their own, Captain Paget and her Colonial Marines find themselves once again stranded -- and facing an army of xenomorphs!
"Delivering the right connections to the larger franchise and their mythologies." -- Fandom Post
[close]

Aliens: Defiance #7 (November 30)
Spoiler
QuoteAliens: Defiance #7
Brian Wood (W), Tristan Jones (A), Riccardo Bruchielli (A), Dan Jackson (C), and Stephanie Hans (Cover)
On sale Nov 30
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing
In the aftermath of the intense battle against the Colonial Marines, Zula Hendricks and Davis have gone from being merely AWOL to full-blown traitors. As they drift into a quiet part of space to recover and regroup, new crew member Dr. Hollis discovers something in the medical bay that changes everything. Sometimes evil comes from within.
• Artist Stephanie Hans joins the team on covers!
• The second arc begins here!
[close]

Prometheus: Life and Death TPB (Jan 11)
Spoiler
QuoteEngineering terror!
Prometheus: Life and Death TP
Dan Abnett (W), Andrea Mutti (A), Rain Beredo (C), and David Palumbo (Cover)
On sale Jan 11
FC, 96 pages
$14.99
TP, 7" x 10"
Colonial Marines commandeer an alien spacecraft. But instead of returning to Earth, they end up on LV-223 (from the Prometheus film)!
This is the second chapter in the Life and Death story cycle -- the follow-up to 2015's epic Fire and Stone crossover event. Before this tale is complete, the story lines of Predator, Prometheus, Aliens, and Aliens vs. Predator will all converge! Collects issues #1–#4.
"Artist Andrea Mutti is clearly influenced by H. R. Giger's artwork in the original Alien films. Each page manages to balance an action packed story, and superb artwork." -- Graphic Policy
[close]

Aliens: Defiance Volume 1 (Jan 25)
Spoiler
QuoteAliens: Defiance Volume 1 TP
Brian Wood (W), Tristan Jones (A), Dan Jackson (C), and Massimo Carnevale (Cover)
On sale Jan 25
FC, 160 pages
$19.99
TP, 7" x 10"
Battling demons from her past while fighting for her life, Colonial Marine Private First Class Zula Hendricks, in the company of Weyland-Yutani synthetics, is forced to question her strength and loyalty when the discovery of an insidious alien species on a derelict hauler sends her on a dangerous journey across the stars. Collects issues #1–#6 and the 2016 FCBD story "Extravehicular."
"This is beautifully frightening: a love letter to fans that will make their chests explode in joy." -- SciFiPulse
[close]

I'm loving that Life and Death cover!

Corporal Hicks

Fantastic! I've pre-ordered Volume 1 of Defiance but I'm still holding out for a fancy pants hardback for Life and Death!

Nostromo

Nice, thanks for the previews!, I've also pre ordered all 3 available Alien TPB's:

Your Orders

Prometheus: Life and Death
Abnett, Dan
Sold by: Amazon.com.ca, Inc.
CDN$ 17.61
Release date: Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Aliens: Defiance Volume 1
Wood, Brian
CDN$ 22.90
Release date: Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Aliens: Life and Death
Abnett, Dan
CDN$ 17.61
Release date: Tuesday, April 25, 2017

426Buddy

some great looking covers!

Love the Aliens L&D cover especially.

Spoiler
The Defiance cover makes me think Zula has a chestburster in her, although it could be the other woman we met in Extra-Vehicular
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Considering the synopsis, I think that's quite likely.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

DH's December solicitations are here! Beware of spoilers.
http://www.cbr.com/dark-horse-december-2016-solicits-alien-vs-predator-death-inside-more/

Fixed the link!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed