Are you hoping for a Predator 5 movie

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Apr 12, 2020, 09:45:08 AM

Author
Are you hoping for a Predator 5 movie (Read 4,837 times)

Huggs

Yep. ALIEN was more of a really well made b movie. But I mean really, really well made.

RidleyScott99

Quote from: SiL on Apr 23, 2020, 12:31:29 AM
Ridley Scott said he was trying to make The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in space.

Interesting. He failed then. ALIEN is elegant and slow like JAWS. TTCM is direct and dirty.

SiL

SiL

Succeeded in scaring the shit out of people though.

SM

SM

Both TCM and Alien are very tense, helped in no small part by their titles

OpenMaw

There's nothing wrong with repetition, and there's nothing wrong with being innovative. Not unto themselves, anyway.

The big question is what you do with the Predator franchise. Anthology style stories is not a bad idea on its own. BUT. As someone pointed out, if all you're doing is moving from time period to time period with a Predator hunting dudes... No, that's a terrible idea. The novelty cannot carry it for the whole of the film. You might get away with that once, but after that you'll really need to do some things to make it new and exciting. There are baseline tropes you could use to setup each story differently. For example, one thing in the fan film Predator Dark Ages that is used to at least give it some difference to the original film is the use of conflict between Christian Crusaders and the Saracen warrior. You could build a series of films around tropes like that. An adventure film, a story of an aging warrior, coming of age, finding the way home. Etc, but you'd need some really incredible writing to make it fresh. Otherwise you just end up with another predator killing another group of people.

I always held the first Predator film in much higher regard than just another slasher film, and that's what an anthology series of films runs the risk of doing. The first Predator has great writing, acting, music, pacing, a great villain, and it has one of the most subtle and glorious genre twists in cinema history. It's a horror movie with macho men who think they're in an action movie. The whole thing is about learning to think like the beast. To be the animal.

You can't just repeat that, and for as much as Predator 2 tries to move the goal posts into cop movie territory, let's be real. Predator 2 is still a messy movie. It's better than it was ever given credit for, sure, but it is messy. When compared to the first film, which is this really streamlined, well-oiled machine that starts and doesn't stop. It just keeps the tension going.

An example of what an anthology could look like, we have already seen attempted in the fan community with "Untitled Predator Film" "Warrior : Predator" "Predator Celtic Days" and "Predator Dark Ages." That's four different time periods...

That's all they really do though is change the time period. The musical cues are more or less the same, dialogue is copied and pasted. Granted I think Dark Ages did a reasonably good job of incorporating the time period into the story, it still suffered from fan-fiction-itus where you have to quote the original in place of writing your own dialogue.

And then we run the risk of going into silly territory. Predators popping up in Caveman era, or fighting dinosaurs, or Nazis... Does the series then have any credibility left?

Does it have any credibility left right now after The Predator for that matter? I felt the series died the moment I read the script. Which, everyone at the time was saying "You can't judge it by the script!" Well... Yeah, you can. It didn't read any better than it played, and nothing significant was changed or fixed. It did critical damage to the series.

I mean, do future films just ignore The Predator? And when you set that precedent... Well, you start down the path of the Terminator franchise which has done so many left and rights with the continuity who knows what is or isn't important to the story being told.

Let's go with the idea of doing a soft-reboot. I think Hicks is right, they should tackle the Bad Blood concept head on. What I would do is have a film that starts very similar to the first Predator. Spec Ops team, maybe a group like Soldier of Fortune or the Expendables so you can have an international group of badasses... They go some place hot and full of conflict. So, similar beats to Predator, and then just when you think you've got the plot nailed down there's another Predator that shows up and you find out a lot of the slaughtering going on was Predator B, not Predator A. The nature of things changes at that point because now the characters are literally caught in this storm of two beasts going at it.

The Predator basically screwed up my basis for a Predator film universe. By way of using OWLF I figured there was a way to setup a series of films that had humanity go from victim/prey to re-balancing and turning the tables on the Predators. Alas The Predator took those ideas, did them really crappy, and wiped their ass with the blank pages to fill it in.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Apr 22, 2020, 03:13:29 PM
If they did an Archie versus Predator film tomorrow we would all bitch but if it turned out to be good it wouldn't matter. It doesn't matter if it's another Predator film, if the change led to a good film it doesn't matter that it's another Predator or that it hung out in Riverdale. If the audience is entertained it does its job.

To be fair, the comic was actually pretty good.

bendinglight

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 23, 2020, 09:48:47 AM
An adventure film, a story of an aging warrior, coming of age, finding the way home. Etc, but you'd need some really incredible writing to make it fresh. Otherwise you just end up with another predator killing another group of people.

I think there lies the main issue that the Predator series has been struggling with for years - writing and the quality of the writers being involved. I like the few ideas you bring to the table; aging warrior/coming of age in particular. That would be something that would really play well with the Predator mythology (imo).

And then we run the risk of going into silly territory. Predators popping up in Caveman era, or fighting dinosaurs, or Nazis... Does the series then have any credibility left?

Yeah, I would be disappointed if the series were to take that type of turn but I don't think fans of the franchise would be pushing for something that 'extreme' (for lack of a better term). T-Rex going at it with a Predator? haha, that sounds awful.

Does it have any credibility left right now after The Predator for that matter? I felt the series died the moment I read the script. Which, everyone at the time was saying "You can't judge it by the script!" Well... Yeah, you can. It didn't read any better than it played, and nothing significant was changed or fixed. It did critical damage to the series.

Good question - I agree with you that the series took a major hit to audiences (casual and die-hard fans alike) in regards to credibility (I mean come on - the f'n Pred-Suit at the end was the polished turd on top of the shit sundae that Black created).

I mean, do future films just ignore The Predator? And when you set that precedent... Well, you start down the path of the Terminator franchise which has done so many left and rights with the continuity who knows what is or isn't important to the story being told.

I think that is the only logical decision to salvage the series - that movie was an unmitigated disaster to the series and to fans across the globe. You bring up an excellent point around 'how not to do it right' - the Terminator franchise seems to be dead or on life support because of all the changes to the main story - but, imo, that is in part due to the timelines and story that were started in T2.

RidleyScott99

I'm in a very small group of people because my favorite Alien movie is PROMETHEUS and I love Ridley Scott movies.

So, my suggestion is John McTiernan Directing PREDATOR 5. By far, the greatest Predator movie ever is the original Directed by John McTiernan.

bendinglight

Quote from: RidleyScott99 on Apr 23, 2020, 10:15:14 PM
I'm in a very small group of people because my favorite Alien movie is PROMETHEUS and I love Ridley Scott movies.

So, my suggestion is John McTiernan Directing PREDATOR 5. By far, the greatest Predator movie ever is the original Directed by John McTiernan.

Completely agree!

nicky

nicky

The only thing that can save the franchise AND what everyone wants is THE RETURN OF DUTCH.

Thanks to Predator:Hunting Grounds maybe Arnold and studios will be more approachable to the idea now.

And with the popularity of retconning  perhaps they could make the new film a direct continuation of the first (or 2nd) film. Arnold already did similar for Terminator: Dark Fate and Jamie Lee Curtis for Halloween (2018). The only problem is that these retcon sequels usually wait around 20 years for fans to "forget" the films that came before it but Arnold is too old for that.

SuperiorIronman

Reboots are unnecessary for this franchise since while there is some connections you can watch them all without context. There's just no point in doing that with a creature this versatile since there is no central protagonist to the series nor a returning villain. Each film has a different Predator and so reboots are useless. Sure you could make a direct sequel to the original film but you don't need to reboot in order to do that. If you want to make Predator happen you can just make it happen.

With Dutch if film can't happen (and historically it just doesn't), you should get him for videogames. Predator has an audience for videogames and you don't need Arnold specifically to record Dutch nor do you actually need him for the motion capture. Dutch really can be timeless since you wouldn't be totally beholden to the actor's mortality.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: nicky on May 28, 2020, 12:58:01 AM
The only thing that can save the franchise AND what everyone wants is THE RETURN OF DUTCH.

Thanks to Predator:Hunting Grounds maybe Arnold and studios will be more approachable to the idea now.

Maybe...

Lionhart

"are you hoping for a predator 5" dude, as far as I'm concerned, we never had Predator 3 and that's the one that needs to be made. PREDATORS 2010 AND THE PREDATOR 2018 does not count. They screwed the whole franchise with those

Corporal Hicks

How did Predators screw the franchise?  ???

j0nesy

??? no clue either, i really enjoy predators

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed