Should the next Predator film be released in streaming or in theater?

Started by Cougerboy, Sep 14, 2022, 12:01:45 PM

Author
Should the next Predator film be released in streaming or in theater? (Read 7,047 times)

SiL

I didn't say that, no.

ralfy

Streaming, and keep the budget low.

bendinglight

I like the dual release approach with something like theatrical run for a week and then release to streaming. Mainly because that it would have been great to see Prey in theaters and have a UHD blu-ray release, imo.

As SiL mentioned around subscriptions, there are a decent number of people that are part of movie theater subscription programs that could fall into both camps; watching it upon release in the theater and then having some re-watches while at home.

Cougerboy

Quote from: SiL on Nov 12, 2022, 07:04:45 PMI didn't say that, no.

Why do I get the feeling you seem to have an interest in seeing streaming exclusive release?

SiL

Quote from: Cougerboy on Jan 21, 2023, 01:54:29 AMWhy do I get the feeling you seem to have an interest in seeing streaming exclusive release?
Because you haven't bothered trying to understand a single thing I've written in this thread and are tilting at windmills.

Mr.Turok

Both.....why not both?

oduodu

has a thread been created on this site discussing streaming vs theatre vs physical media?

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: SiL on Jan 21, 2023, 08:29:45 PM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Jan 21, 2023, 01:54:29 AMWhy do I get the feeling you seem to have an interest in seeing streaming exclusive release?
Because you haven't bothered trying to understand a single thing I've written in this thread and are tilting at windmills.

Or maybe you just have a real problem dealing with people who don't agree with you. Moving goalposts, denying what you said, etc, I've seen all those kind of tricks before. The world have diverse opinons, accept that.

SiL

Quote from: Cougerboy on Jan 26, 2023, 07:55:31 AMOr maybe you just have a real problem dealing with people who don't agree with you. Moving goalposts, denying what you said, etc, I've seen all those kind of tricks before. The world have diverse opinons, accept that.
I already quoted myself saying I don't like streaming only, I think it'll fail in the long run, and I personally like physical media.

BlueMarsalis79

I will take Prey Limited Run just to get it.

Acid_Reign161

Hmm, if you'd asked me this 15 years ago, the answer would have been "Cinema!! Always theatrical release!!" I used to visit the cinema several times a week, and if I liked the movie, pay for multiple viewings (D-theatre, IMAX, D-box etc depending upon options).

These days? I just won't go unless it's an Alien or Evil Dead movie (my two fave franchises).. why? People just suck these days... people think it's ok to talk during a movie, you see phone screens lighting up in the audience throughout the film, murmuring, excessive rattling of snack wrappers... people talk loudly throughout the trailers like it's not part of the cinema experience... it's just not enjoyable anymore. You have to either plan ahead (like a Tuesday lunchtime at a retail park so you know everyone will either be at work/college/uni/school or eating lunch - and even then you get an empty screen with maybe two older couples who think because the screen is empty the few others of us in there can't hear their conversations throughout) or, in the case of what I'm doing for Evil Dead Rise this April - pay £150-200 for a private screening at off peak times.

So yeah, I love the cinema, I don't like cinema audiences. And for that, I'm grateful for streaming releases now. A compromise for me would be limited streaming exclusive with physical media to follow.

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jan 31, 2023, 03:06:08 PMHmm, if you'd asked me this 15 years ago, the answer would have been "Cinema!! Always theatrical release!!" I used to visit the cinema several times a week, and if I liked the movie, pay for multiple viewings (D-theatre, IMAX, D-box etc depending upon options).

These days? I just won't go unless it's an Alien or Evil Dead movie (my two fave franchises).. why? People just suck these days... people think it's ok to talk during a movie, you see phone screens lighting up in the audience throughout the film, murmuring, excessive rattling of snack wrappers... people talk loudly throughout the trailers like it's not part of the cinema experience... it's just not enjoyable anymore. You have to either plan ahead (like a Tuesday lunchtime at a retail park so you know everyone will either be at work/college/uni/school or eating lunch - and even then you get an empty screen with maybe two older couples who think because the screen is empty the few others of us in there can't hear their conversations throughout) or, in the case of what I'm doing for Evil Dead Rise this April - pay £150-200 for a private screening at off peak times.

So yeah, I love the cinema, I don't like cinema audiences. And for that, I'm grateful for streaming releases now. A compromise for me would be limited streaming exclusive with physical media to follow.

I don't mind people talking during trailers so much, but I'm definitely with you on everything else! I've had some theatre experiences ruined by people who think it's ok to talk at full volume for some reason. Or have their phones at full brightness, constantly checking it. Or even people having that stupid function where their phone's light flashes whenever they get a notification, and it flashing through the whole movie. I just don't understand how theatre etiquette has completely gone out the window for a good portion of the public. 

There've definitely been times where I've thought "f**k this, I just wanna watch movies at home from now on".

But honestly I still just love the experience of going to see a film on the big screen, especially when the audience is respectable and chill. And I've had some amazing theatre experiences that have made the film all that more impactful for me.

I've been kind of enjoying the trend lately to have either both a theatre run and streaming option at the same time, or a streaming option shortly after, or a few weeks into, the theatre run. Because I definitely get being hesitant to go out to the theatre, or even just being interested in a film enough to want to watch it, but not enough to go to the theatre. Although I am conflicted because I do want theatres to thrive and be an option still.

Either way, I definitely still want physical media releases.

The Saint

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jan 31, 2023, 03:06:08 PMHmm, if you'd asked me this 15 years ago, the answer would have been "Cinema!! Always theatrical release!!" I used to visit the cinema several times a week, and if I liked the movie, pay for multiple viewings (D-theatre, IMAX, D-box etc depending upon options).

As technology progresses with high performance video and audio experiences at home and theatre audience behaviour deteriorate, Streaming services will win at the end.

BlueMarsalis79

Cringe, fibre optic's not even as good as Blu-ray.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed