Prometheus Empire Magazine Scans

Started by ikarop, Mar 28, 2012, 05:06:20 PM

Author
Prometheus Empire Magazine Scans (Read 54,856 times)

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 02, 2012, 03:09:53 AM
Eesh... I hope not much is made out of the 'prejudice' being alluded to in recent quotes. Like an emotionless robot somehow taking exception to things because it feels offended.

That was the biggest problem I had with 'The Animatrix' when it came out. Why would anyone programme manual labour devices with the capability to feel depressed and angry at being used?

The viral material states that Weyland is attempting to create robots that are indistinguishable from humans, and surely one of the requirements of this would be creating robots that can portray human emotions so convincingly that no one would be able to tell the difference. The question is then: do they actually feel offended, or do they just act on programming that tells them that they should feel offended.

The truth is that there is no way to tell what a person/robot is feeling based on their actions and/or body language.

This: :-[ - portrays embarrassment, but only a complete idiot would suggest that a 15x15 GIF image actually felt embarrassed. Now imagine that you asked a computer program how it was feeling and it posted this: :( - your immediate emotional reaction would be 'holy shit, the program is sad!', and you would have a hard time shaking that idea, even if the program in question just posted a random emoticon each time you asked it a question.

Fight for robots rights, before they do. ;D

LarsVader

LarsVader

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 02, 2012, 01:29:38 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 02, 2012, 03:09:53 AM
Eesh... I hope not much is made out of the 'prejudice' being alluded to in recent quotes. Like an emotionless robot somehow taking exception to things because it feels offended.

That was the biggest problem I had with 'The Animatrix' when it came out. Why would anyone programme manual labour devices with the capability to feel depressed and angry at being used?

The viral material states that Weyland is attempting to create robots that are indistinguishable from humans, and surely one of the requirements of this would be creating robots that can portray human emotions so convincingly that no one would be able to tell the difference. The question is then: do they actually feel offended, or do they just act on programming that tells them that they should feel offended.

The truth is that there is no way to tell what a person/robot is feeling based on their actions and/or body language.

This: :-[ - portrays embarrassment, but only a complete idiot would suggest that a 15x15 GIF image actually felt embarrassed. Now imagine that you asked a computer program how it was feeling and it posted this: :( - your immediate emotional reaction would be 'holy shit, the program is sad!', and you would have a hard time shaking that idea, even if the program in question just posted a random emoticon each time you asked it a question.

Fight for robots rights, before they do. ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I07xDdFMdgw#

Darth Vile

Quote from: Gash on Mar 29, 2012, 02:28:05 PM
I like the clue that the suit design and helmets are more important than they might appear.

I took that to read that the space suit design (and it does have a Giger quality) will indeed turn out to be the physical template for the xeno i.e. fused human/space suit and jockey = xeno???

jeremy_ray

I'm still reserving judgement, but - I'm worried.  Giant blue bald guy in a space tapir helmet.  Is that really going to fly?

Quote from: armageddon on Mar 28, 2012, 07:55:11 PM
Quote from: AsapJockey on Mar 28, 2012, 07:43:08 PM
they are us. :laugh:

Also note Scott's remarks about civilizations on earth half a billion years before our time.

Maybe the Engineers are not aliens but origin from Earth?

FWIW, there's an excellent science fiction book which deals with the invention of a wormhole camera, that let's you see anything in any place and any time.  At the end they look back into the early Earth's history and find another inteliigent species that was wiped out in an impact event. 

I can't remember the title.  I believe Arthur C. Clarke co-authored it with a lesser known writer. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed