"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel

Started by Stolen, Sep 02, 2020, 07:24:59 PM

Author
"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel (Read 64,325 times)

son_of_kane

Quote from: reecebomb on Sep 04, 2020, 04:45:33 PM

That said I would happily look forward to his other sci fi projects, provided he gets a half decent script.

Will he EVER get around to making The Forever War?  ???

Tichinde

Scott is the George Lucas of Alien, incomprehensible, insane, drunk, a little pudgy.

But we all miss him.

Stitch

It seems like Raised By Wolves might be the creative output that Ridley was looking for when he directed Prometheus and Covenant. Was hoping that would get it out of his system, but apparently not.
The whole beast is cooked angle is starting to get annoying, now. Maybe try believing in your subject matter?

Huggs

Scott seems firmly stuck in Blade Runner mode.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: son_of_kane on Sep 04, 2020, 06:53:27 PM

That said I would happily look forward to his other sci fi projects, provided he gets a half decent script.

Does Scott Free even hold the rights to that anymore? I can't remember the last time it was ever even mentioned in the media.

Rankles75

The Alien hasn't run out of steam, Ridley has.

son_of_kane

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 04, 2020, 11:34:47 PM
Quote from: son_of_kane on Sep 04, 2020, 06:53:27 PM

Does Scott Free even hold the rights to that anymore? I can't remember the last time it was ever even mentioned in the media.

Yeah it looks like Warner Bros now has it. We may never see Ridley's version  :-[

Rekoj

Why on Earth would you work on a project that's part of a series that goes beyond film if you think the main focal point of said series has "run out of steam"? He needs to leave if the passion is gone.

oduodu

no emtional no emootional

.................................INVOLBEMENT !!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Que Sera Sera what must be must be the futur's not ours to see.

lol

lets hope for the best

Kradan

>:( >:( >:( JUSTGETTHISf**kINGTHINGDONERIDLEYORDISNEYORWHOEVERGODDAMMIT! >:( >:( >:(

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Rekoj on Sep 05, 2020, 02:59:52 AM
Why on Earth would you work on a project that's part of a series that goes beyond film if you think the main focal point of said series has "run out of steam"? He needs to leave if the passion is gone.

Because there are other focal points in that franchise/world that he also finds appealing, and that the "main focal point" (that being, the Alien) can be used as the most important piece to provide greater context to this new narrative – the Alien, in its perfect, form-fitting way that it deliberately defiles the human body, becomes a perfect extension of David's hatred of his human creators and his twisted view on sexual reproduction. Thematically that is still all very Alien, playing on the type of horror that has been present since the beginning, while framing it in a totally new light and using the Alien itself as the lens through which David's arc is explored. This shifts the focus to a perspective that is new for the franchise while still intrinsically linking that new perspective to the Alien. Without the Alien, David's story isn't anything. And Ridley's passion is there, in exploring that link and the lineages that he has presented; the only thing he's lost his passion for is using the Alien as the sole form of horror and simply recreating what he already did so perfectly in the original film.

And that's ok. The series is ripe for experimentation, and I'm sure whoever makes an Alien movie after Ridley Scott is going to dial things back a lot and do a movie that is much closer to what we got in Alien and Aliens to "win back" the fanbase. I accept that as inevitability, and I hope that whatever that eventual project is, it is good. I just remain hopeful that Ridley gets to finish his story before that happens.

426Buddy

While I enjoy the prequels and would like to see them completed, Ridley's often stated comments on the creature are frustrating and disappointing regardless of how you try and interpret his vague ramblings.

To say the creature is cooked, done, and lost it's steam is garbage. Obviously he thinks its become uninteresting and it comes across in the way he handles the creature in Covenant. I don't mind him wanting to explore the universe in his way but stop sh*tting on the Alien everytime you're asked about it.

Nightmare Asylum

Watch Ridley coax Aaron Guzikowski (showrunner of Raised by Wolves) into writing the next draft of this for him. :D

seattle24

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 05, 2020, 04:21:49 PM
While I enjoy the prequels and would like to see them completed, Ridley's often stated comments on the creature are frustrating and disappointing regardless of how you try and interpret his vague ramblings.

To say the creature is cooked, done, and lost it's steam is garbage. Obviously he thinks its become uninteresting and it comes across in the way he handles the creature in Covenant. I don't mind him wanting to explore the universe in his way but stop sh*tting on the Alien everytime you're asked about it.

This, 100%. It's almost like he forgets the most revered film in his filmography is Alien. Title of the movie, star of the show.

Quote from: Rankles75 on Sep 05, 2020, 12:51:03 AM
The Alien hasn't run out of steam, Ridley has.

*drops mic*

Hard to disagree.

I wish Blumhouse would buy the Alien IP off Disney. They seem to constantly pump out elite horror movies on narrow budgets with fantastic ensemble casts.

Evanus

I think Ridley's got a point, to a certain extent. You can make the alien scary, but you need to find new interesting things. If it's just a retread of the originals, even if it's scary, what's the point? I'm afraid that's the route Disney will take; safe and unimaginative films that try to recapture the magic of the originals.

Reading Nightmare Asylum's posts, it basically summarizes why I think the prequels are doing the right thing. It's just that the execution is lacking here and there. But I'll take them over safe and unimaginative any day.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed