Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 727,711 times)

Eal

Eal

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on May 28, 2023, 02:59:08 AM
Quote from: caffeine4671 on May 28, 2023, 02:53:27 AM
Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on May 27, 2023, 10:06:26 PM
Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on May 27, 2023, 09:51:00 PM
Quote from: SiL on May 27, 2023, 09:35:32 PMBishop was made by WY, going by A3. Ash was Hyperdyne.

But Ash was Hyperdyne as well, Burke says that in the scene before cornbread comment.

So how does that refute my theory? If Bishop is same company as Ash, Ash was programmed to bring back the lifeform (Xenomorph).

It 100% was not Bishop.

1: If it were Bishop, the egg would be stored safely in stasis for return to the company labs.

2: If he wished to infect the ship, he would place the egg on the ground, not mount it in an awkward position.

3: The egg is surrounded by secreted resin. Bishop didn't secrete it.

4: the egg is most likely under the floor, adjacent to the cryo chamber, evidence would suggest beneath the loading bay, the same under-floor crawl space as we saw Newt trying to avoid the queen.

Just to pose the open question: Why didn't the writers /make/ Bishop's wound the cause of the outbreak? The Queen's stab leaving Genetic material has always made way more sense to me when I've seen the draft Alien 3 scripts than the lazy result we get in the finished film of "It was with us all the way". Whatever, this was/is 20th Century we're dealing with.

Oh that's in the original Alien3 script which is now a book in bookstores.

I know that it's in the Gibson script that the Alien 3 comic is based on, but I've seen it in Eric Red's script too.

...Of course I could be suffering from Walter-Simonson's-Disease and misremembering Eric Red's script.

ralfy

ralfy

FWIW, I'm reminded of Bishop telling Ripley that "Mr. Burke" gave him specific instructions to keep the facehuggers in stasis for the company labs. It doesn't explain what happened to the Sulaco, of course.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 26, 2017, 09:45:12 PMSo long as they adhered to whatever safety protocols governed the containment of virulent organisms, I see no reason why Bishop would have disobeyed Burke's orders.  My belief is that Ripley knew this too, which is why she had to resort to threats of tattling to the ICC about his specimens.

It's also my belief that bringing dangerous specimens back to Earth wasn't illegal, but smuggling them was.  Burke may have been afraid, like before, that a bureaucratic quagmire would have jeopardized the reward he was expecting for quietly delivering the aliens to the company labs.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 26, 2017, 11:46:36 PMEven if the ICC had eventually allowed the company to retain ownership of the specimens that Burke brought back, it may have taken a long time and lots of money to attain that result.

It's a typical case of a large corporation trying to skirt government regulations.

SiL

SiL

As someone who lives in a country with strict border control, you can bring whatever you like into the country.

Whether it'll stay with you past border control is another thing entirely.

It's also unclear if Bishop would've tried to preserve the living specimens or was talking specifically about the dead ones he was working on.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'd just assume that Burke not only wanted the live specimens, but all of the dead ones and any tissue samples that Bishop may have taken during his dissections. 

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 17, 2021, 07:30:05 AMI thought Bishop looked pretty uneasy about Burke's instructions.  Even so, as the ranking company rep, Burke may have had a legitimate claim to the find which Bishop had no legal authority to deny.

Besides, he didn't say that he was going to smuggle them through ICC quarantine for Burke.  I'd imagine he thought the whole thing would be done by the book.

Eal

Eal

If Fincher bothered with having continuity in his film, maybe the egg on the Sulaco would make sense.
As it stands, you basically have to re-contextualize your entire understanding of the Sulaco design- and layout-wise, due to Fincher making the choice to deliberately ignore any continuity. Kind of irritating really.

SiL

SiL

Yeah it was absolutely not Fincher who put the egg there.

Eal

Eal

Quote from: SiL on May 29, 2023, 09:51:03 PMYeah it was absolutely not Fincher who put the egg there.

I'm 100% aware he didn't, it was in several drafts, along with a screenplay of them already being consumed by the alien organism when a team arrived (Eric Red). The producers and previous writers put it there, and would've put something else there if not an egg.

It's the lack of design continuity that I'm referring to. Had Fincher simply done something like perhaps changing the lighting and maybe color-textures on the Sulaco, new camera angles, he could've gotten an entirely different feeling without needing to throw continuity away.

SiL

SiL

As in he wasn't part of the reshoots that added the eggs into the film. He literally has nothing to do with where we see them in the movie. The version he made never showed the eggs, they'd been taken out of the script.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Pity David Fincher did not come back in 2002 or 2009 and excise the scene like the tumor it is on the f**king narrative.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 29, 2023, 11:09:14 PMPity David Fincher did not come back in 2002 or 2009 and excise the scene like the tumor it is on the f**king narrative.

How much do you hate the egg scene?

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Egg-stremely.

Eal

Eal

Quote from: SiL on May 29, 2023, 10:22:51 PMAs in he wasn't part of the reshoots that added the eggs into the film. He literally has nothing to do with where we see them in the movie. The version he made never showed the eggs, they'd been taken out of the script.

Vincent Ward?
QuoteThe Woman speaks. Her message repeats itself. A tape loop, although John has no idea what that is.

WOMAN

...taking pod four. The Crew of the SS Sulaco and all Marine commandoes are dead. Ship's sensors have interrupted the hyper sleep cycle. An overlooked alien egg has hatched. Bishop and Hicks have been killed. Xenomorphs have infested the cruiser. Newt and I are taking pod four. The Crew of...
An overlooked alien egg has hatched. Bishop and Hicks have been killed.

Edit: Derp. Larry Ferguson and Walter Hill, no?

SiL

SiL

I've no idea who was on set for those shots. I don't think it was either of them.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The egg was an addition that came during reshoots after Fincher was kicked off the production.

https://youtu.be/XUV44JMhx5A?t=529

It starts about when there was no chestburster, but talks about there being no egg too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed