Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, May 14, 2020, 11:34:10 PM

Author
Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024) (Read 21,514 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: ralfy on Nov 25, 2022, 03:50:44 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Nov 24, 2022, 06:00:19 AMBut superior.

That's because it has cute special effects, and runs along like a video game, which is similar to movies in other franchises.

Lmao, get a load of this old-head.

Using "videogame" as an insult, just shows how outdated you are, like book snobs of the 1920s, who believed in error it was not a higher form of art.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I can't think of many films that are much like Fury Road. Just looking at the most commonplace blockbusters, it really doesn't bear much similarity to Marvel movies.

And it's not like the original Mad Max trilogy had super complex and layered plots, either. Beyond Thunderdome is probably the closest, and that's the one most people don't like.

SiL

SiL

QuoteUsing "videogame" as an insult, just shows how outdated you are, like book snobs of the 1920s, who believed in error it was not a higher form of art.
There is nothing more snobbish than thinking any form of art is "higher" than another.

There is only art. The medium is secondary.

Quote from: nanison on Nov 24, 2022, 06:49:01 PMThe first one is my fave as well. I really like the family and friendship dynamic in it, makes the later events very shocking. I also like the overtly dramatic bombastic score.
I like how it's not post apocalyptic. Everything's screwed, things have clearly gone wrong, but the shops are still open, there's still an actual police force. It's a country on its last legs, going out with a whimper, and feels very close to home in Australia.

Also yeah the dramatic AF music every time you see the police station is schlock Gold.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It's my personal opinion that their's absolutely a hierarchy to art forms, in a general sense, the fact books rarely ever get brought up in discussions about art's evident of that, if I ask someone what's their favourite piece of art nobody's ever mentioned a book in my experience.

You only get pushback if you bring that idea up however, just like right now, if I had left it unsaid it would have been no less true however. 

I do think that they can be art, but do I find even the agreed upon best of them dull in comparison to my favourite visual art pieces? Yes absolutely.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Nov 25, 2022, 04:42:02 AMLmao, get a load of this old-head.

Using "videogame" as an insult, just shows how outdated you are, like book snobs of the 1920s, who believed in error it was not a higher form of art.

I'm not saying that it's bad because it's like a video game. Rather, it's OK for the same reason.

It's an action movie, so it has to move along like cut scenes scenes taken from a video game. That's why some scenes are speeded up:

Finally, about "book snobs of the 1920s", whatever that even means, I wasn't the one who referred to this flick as a masterpiece. You did. LOL.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Uh-oh

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 25, 2022, 04:53:02 AMI can't think of many films that are much like Fury Road. Just looking at the most commonplace blockbusters, it really doesn't bear much similarity to Marvel movies.

And it's not like the original Mad Max trilogy had super complex and layered plots, either. Beyond Thunderdome is probably the closest, and that's the one most people don't like.
Believe it or not, several critics argue that Mad Max may have been partly inspired by Moby-Dick, and that applies even to the latest flick, at least for sound design:

https://www.mhpbooks.com/you-can-add-mad-max-fury-road-to-the-list-of-things-influenced-by-moby-dick/

But I remember one interview with Miller decades ago, and I remember him mentioning the same book plus various works that talk about lonely wanderers, like The Odyssey or even the idea of the gangrel.

We can probably see related themes even in the name of the characters:

Mad Max
The Gyro Captain (the Man Who Came from the Sky)
The Feral Kid
Pappagallo
Warrior Woman
Curmudgeon
The Toadie
Humungus
Toecutter
Savannah Nix
Aunty Entity
Scrooloose
Pig Killer
The Nightrider
Fifi Macaffee
Iron Bar
Jedediah
Mr. Skyfish
Johnny the Boy
Goose
Master and Blaster
Anna Goanna
Grease Rat

etc., together with the Chief of the Great Northern tribes, the precious juice, and the myths the exiled children created in isolation.

Reminds you of characters from Melville's novel:

Ishmael
Queequeg
Ahab
Starbuck
Stubb
Peleg
Tashtego
Flask
Daggoo
Pip
Captain Boomer

and so on, if not works like the ones just mentioned, and even Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

It's as if Miller was engaged in myth-building, as seen in some remarkable endings for the second and third movies (warning: spoilers):

There's even the remarkable variations in the way characters spoke, like Savannah and the children, as if they were mirroring their lengthy isolation. Reminds me of The Island (1980).

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/joshuahorowitz/status/1595768923953192971

This is old, but I just stumbled upon it now and it's a very good listen. Seems like Chris Hemsworth is Warlord Dementus, not Immortan Joe.

Immortan Jonesy

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Really love the idea of this being a massive epic spanning such a long period of time. Can't wait to see how it plays out (and how the world around Furiosa changes in the process).

I bet we get our first look at this with Dune: Part Two later this year.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Just started listening to this now. Not sure if it covers Furiosa at all, but here's a conversation between Miller and the co-directors of Talk to Me (which I'll be seeing tomorrow, actually).

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Can't wait! 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed