The 'box' Alien

Started by Mr. Clemens, Jan 25, 2014, 02:27:05 PM

Author
The 'box' Alien (Read 28,741 times)

Eal

Eal

Quote from: Valaquen on May 27, 2023, 12:49:18 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 26, 2023, 08:51:51 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 23, 2023, 02:55:28 PMJW Rinzler made mention of the "box Alien" in his "The Making of Alien book". Can't remember the context or sources he cited, will try and find that bit again.

So according to JW Rinzler, Dan O'Bannon confirmed there was indeed a box alien (or something very similar filmed):

Quote from: The Making of AlienThere were more changes. The scene of Ripley comforting Lambert after the death of Dallas was cut (or may have been before). The box-like unfolding alien was replaced with a KY Jelly-drooling alien. "It was decided [the box transformation] would give us too graphic a look at the beastie," O'Bannon said, "so snip! snip!! snip!!!"

The Making of Alien, Rinzler, J.W. Page 290

Rinzler has attributed this quote to O'Bannon but it was in fact the journalist writing the article (in Famous Monsters of Filmland, 1979). O'Bannon didn't say these words. It's an assertion of the article's author (who also asserts there was a shot of the Alien's tail penetrating Brett's back). Actually it's worse than that - the article writer is paraphrasing another staff member; he never spoke to O'Bannon or anyone directly.

Well, the tail thing isn't actually a myth. It's part of the alternate head crush take from a different angle and shown in the 2003 "The Beast Within" doc as mentioned by Elma. But yeah, the article is super sus and not very well-sourced. Disappointing. I wasn't alive in 1979 but I remember video game and film magazines of the 90s and early 2000s being pretty okay, though that is probably my nostalgia glasses.

EDIT: The tail technically doesn't go into his back, it's more like the base of his neck right at his spine. The guy that wrote the article clearly likes playing fast and loose with descriptions.

SiL

SiL

The tail touches his back and pulls him in, but doesn't penetrate and cause bleeding like we see in the comic.

Eal

Eal

Quote from: SiL on May 27, 2023, 08:54:24 PMThe tail touches his back and pulls him in, but doesn't penetrate and cause bleeding like we see in the comic.

I swore up and down reading this that I remembered it different, but I after seeing it again and rewatching it, you're 100% correct...
The death in the workprint that Archie was given:

At any rate, the Illustrated Story - absolutely a standout. It's great because it's something you'd recognize, but it's got its own flavor, like someone took a peek at Alien without any preconceptions (like someone who saw it in 79 harharhar)and just let it rip on paper:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed