Godzilla
96 (74.4%)
King Kong
25 (19.4%)
I don't know?
8 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author
The GODZILLA thread (Read 2,497,891 times)

ShadowPred

I really liked at the end of Final Wars that Minilla finally is able to shoot the atmoic breath, to me that symbolized that the torch has been finally passed onto the younger generation of fans and directors.

Resurrection

Resurrection

I agree.  The scene with Minilla was good also for the fact that it showed that the movie series can return if they want it to because Godzilla just left unlike the majority of the movies where he is put to rest or dies in some form.

Spidey3121

I have loved Godzilla for along time, not sure how long. I can't quite remember the order of them all now (i used 2) as i haven't bothered to watched one of the older bad ones in a long time. As for the newer series...

•Godzilla 85 - 1 out of 4 - Just hated it. I know some people around here like it but i found it to be just awful
• Godzilla vs Biollante - 2.5 ot of 4 - Surprising that i like this movie b/c i hate plants.
• Godzilla vs GH - Great movie!! Some of the effects where bad (when the humans were floating around) but overall it was very good
• Godzilla vs Mothra - 3.5 out of 5 - Would have been better if Godzilla won
• Godzilla vs Mecha-Godzilla - 3.5 out of 4 - Another great one. Little Godzilla was sort of silly but it's all good. I have the subtitled version so i don't have to deal with the bad dubbing.
• Godzilla vs Space-Godzilla - 1.5 out of 4 - Just wasn't good. Little Godzilla + his bubbles were the best thing about this film.
• Godzilla vs Destroyah - 3 out of 4 - A fitting way to see Godzilla go down, although it was certainly a shame (espec when the American Godzilla came out)

• Godzilla 2000 - 3.5 out of 4 - Really nice!! A great way to restart Godzilla + i really liked his look in this film.
• Godzilla vs Meguirmarus - 2 out of 4 - Spelling of that might be wrong but that's ok. I had heard from people that this film was good before i saw it + i guess i got my hopes up to high. I just didn't find it all that great.
• Godzilla, Mother, GH: Giant Monsters All Out Attack - 4 out of 4 - The best Godzilla film in my opinion. This movie had everything and was really well laid out. I know some fans took issue with the reworking of KG's history + the more fantasy approach but i think it worked nicely. The characters were also great in this film, even the supporting cast. Plus, we got to see Godzilla destroy everything in his path which is what i love.

Haven't seen any of the films since then. I'm sure i will someday but i don't know when.

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: ShadowPred on Dec 26, 2007, 06:06:56 PM
I hope I am still alive by the time Godzilla turns 100 so that I can be there when they celebrate his existence.

Me too, i will be 63 when godzilla turns 100 years old in 2054 and tell my grandkids about Godzilla and how awesome he was.

Resurrection

Quote from: Ratchetcomand on Dec 26, 2007, 07:33:55 PM
Quote from: ShadowPred on Dec 26, 2007, 06:06:56 PM
I hope I am still alive by the time Godzilla turns 100 so that I can be there when they celebrate his existence.

Me too, i will be 63 when godzilla turns 100 years old in 2054 and tell my grandkids about Godzilla and how awesome he was.

Same here.  I hope Toho produces more movies within that time span, though.   :)

Ratchetcomand

^^ They will most likey will because he popular and he is a icon just like Mickey Mouse is.

How would rate the godzilla series

My Votes on the series

Gojira - 10/10
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! - 7/10
Godzilla Raids Again - 5/10
King Kong vs Godzilla - 7/10
Mothra vs Godzilla - 6/10
Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster - 5/10
Monster Zero - 7/10
Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster - 4/10
Son of Godzilla - 6/10
Destroy All Monsters - 8/10
Godzilla's Revenge - 1/10
Godzilla vs. Hedorah - 3/10
Godzilla vs Gigan - 7.5/10
Godzilla vs. Megalon - 5/10
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - 7/10
Terror of Mechagodzilla - 6/10
Return of Godzilla aka Godzilla 1985 - 5/10
Godzilla vs. Biollante - 6/10
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - 6/10
Mothra vs Godzilla II aka Godzilla vs Mothra - 7/10
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II - 6.5/10
Godzilla vs Space Godzilla - 5/10
Godzilla vs. Destroyah - 8/10
Godzilla 1998 - 4/10
Godzilla Millennium aka Godzilla 2000 - 7/10
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus - 6/10
GMK - 8.5/10
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla - 6/10
Godzilla Tokyo - 5/10
Godzilla Final Wars - 6/10

Resurrection

Here's my ratings:

Gojira - 10/10.  A complete classic for and it was the movie that started it all.
Godzilla Raids Again - 8/10 It was good, but not one of the best of the Showa series.
King King vs. Godzilla - 6/10.  Had it's moments, but it wasn't as exciting as other movies in the Showa series.
Mothra vs. Godzilla - 5/10.  I can't stand Mothra so naturally, the movie was boring to me.  The Godzilla suit used in it was pretty good, though.
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster - 6/10.  Once again, it had its moments, but the story was pretty ridiculous and hard to follow.
Monster Zero - 8/10.  I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit because of the scenes on Planet X when Godzilla and Rodan were fighting "Monster Zero".  Very fun to watch.
Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster - 6/10.  I thought this one was pretty boring compared to the movies that followed it.
Son of Godzilla - 3/10.  Boring in a way, and the Godzilla suit used in the movie really sucked, in my opinion.
Destroy All Monsters! - 10/10.  One of the best in the series.  The movie had some great destruction scenes specifically when Godzilla destroys New York and when Rodan flies over leveling Moscow. And last but not least, the final battle with Ghidorah is an ultimate classic.  Great scene with all of Toho's stockade of monsters.
Godzilla's Revenge - 2/10.  It had some good scenes but that doesn't help my rating because they weren't from the movie itself.  They were stock footage battle shots.
Godzilla vs. Hedorah - 7/10.  Very eerie compared to the other movies, but I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit for the dark themes and the battle scenes between Godzilla and the Smog Monster.
Godzilla vs. Gigan - 8/10.  I really enjoyed Gigan and the scenes when him and King Ghidorah first appeared.  The battle with him and Gigan was absolutely amazing as well.
Godzilla vs. Megalon - 7/10.  Another movie that could have been better, but I liked the battle scenes.
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla - 6/10.  Had some great scenes, but I was beginning to get bored with the alien premise of the series.
Terror of MechaGodzilla - 7/10.  Decent, but could have been better.
Godzilla 1985/Godzilla 1984 - 10/10. I enjoyed the dark theme used once again in the movie.  The Godzilla suit was awesome as well.  Very evil looking, like it wanted to destroy everything that was good as it marched through Tokyo.
Godzilla vs. Biollante  10/10.  Once again, great battle scenes and awesome Godzilla suit.
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - 10/10.  One of if not my favorite of the series, great battle scenes and King Ghidorah looked more kick-ass than before.
Godzilla and Mothra:  The Battle for Earth - 10/10.  Another classic of the Heisei series.  Great new look for Mothra and I absolutely loved Battra.  Wished he would have had more screentime than he actually did.
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II - 10/10.  Enjoyed it, nothing I didn't like about it.
Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla - 9/10.  Great, but it had a lot of simple flaws that could have been don e better like when SG flew through space.  I thought that looked really fake and unrealistic. 
Godzilla vs. Destroyah - 10/10.  Amazing way to end the Heisei series, great effects and another movie with a dark theme that kept you guessing.  And Destroyah was great.
Godzilla 2000 - 7/10.  Not one of my favorites, but it did have several good scenes like when Godzilla killed Orga.
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus - 6/10.  Not one of my favorites and pretty boring until the end scene with Megaguirus and Godzilla.
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack - 10/10.  Great scenes but my criticism in the movie was the Godzilla suit - very stupid looking.
Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla - 6/10.  Didn't really like this one and MechaG isn't one of my favorite characters.
Godzilla, Tokyo S.O.S - 5/10.  Kinda boring compared to the last one.
Godzilla, Final Wars - 5/10.  Not one of my favorites.  The movie was supposed to be about the monsters and there were lots of battle scenes but they were way too short.  The movie was more about the humans.

Resurrection

So, for those that have seen all the movies, what are your ratings?  Please include reasons behind your rating, too.

Ratchetcomand

You forgot to rate the 1998 remake.

Resurrection

Quote from: Ratchetcomand on Dec 28, 2007, 06:30:03 AM
You forgot to rate the 1998 remake.

I don't consider that to be an actual Gojira movie since it wasn't made by Toho, it was made by TriStar.

Ratchetcomand

I like to count it as a stand lone movie just like i do with AVP and the Spawn live action movie.

Space Disc Jockey

Space Disc Jockey

Yeah, I have been a fan of Gojira for a LONG time. I think the first Godzilla film that I saw (and it's still my favoirte) was "Godzilla 1985". I never saw the Japanese version "Return of Godzilla", but after watching the American-version, I just had to see ALL the other films (at the time).

So, I went on a mission and bought all the Godzilla films, up until "Godzilla 1985". Then, some years later, I was at a Hollywood video and noticed "Godzilla vs. Biolante" and then I was at another video store that had international films and I noticed that there were new Japanese Godzilla films on Laserdisc (Godzilla vs. Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla, etc), so I rented all of those and watched them...even though I didn't understand Japanese (no sub-titles).

Anyway, I have seen ALL the Godzilla films now and I hope Toho will continue to make more, even though "Final Wars" was supposed to be the last...but we all know "Godzilla vs. Destroyer" was also supposed to be the last.

As I have mentioned here, before...I HATE the Roland Emmerich/Dean Devlin 1998 "Godzilla" film (I call it "Iguana"). What a terrible movie, with good, but wasted SFX. Not to mention the horrendous design of the creature and crappy script/plot. Argh it made me mad. When I saw that museum teaser trailer I was so f**king excited, for a long time and then I saw the film...man, what a disappointment.

Some of my other favorite Godzilla films are "Destroy All Monsters" and the original, "Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla".

Godzilla also appeared on a Japanese TV show called "Zone Fighter", which I guess was on in the 1960's -1970's, but I wasn't even born then to see them on TV:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lTeizlzucD8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ysP0NfUeXTQ&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_OO0zDDtphM&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mo_IckCmfZQ&feature=related

and Godzilla appeared on the "Ultraman" shows...sort of:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x7Y0GsX1yvk&feature=related

Oh, and I wish a "Godzilla vs. Gamera" film was made.

Ratchetcomand

Did anyone like the Fox kids show back in the 90's. I used to love that show back in the days.

Resurrection

Quote from: Ratchetcomand on Dec 29, 2007, 12:01:23 AM
Did anyone like the Fox kids show back in the 90's. I used to love that show back in the days.

Yeah, I did.  Even though I couldn't stand the movie that inspired that series.  I think I might get it now that it's out on DVD to relive the battle scenes.  A lot of the monsters in that cartoon series were really cool as well.

Ratchetcomand

The series is on youtube.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed