Powered by Onyx Engine

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2008, 08:26:02 PM

Author
Powered by Onyx Engine (Read 9,976 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So...turns out Obsidian will be using an engine known as Onyx for their upcoming games and most likely this Aliens RPG to:

Many developers are learning that one of the best ways to generate excitement about and extend the life of a product is to support the creation of end-user content. Even early decisions about a project's core technology, middleware solutions, data formats, and toolset design can have a dramatic impact on ease-of-use and long-term flexibility for consumer "modders". In this lecture, hear how Obsidian Entertainment approached the development of Neverwinter Nights 2's Electron engine and toolset with the end-user in mind. The talk will cover successes and failures for both the development team and end-users. The speaker will discuss Obsidian's decision to move from Neverwinter Nights' tile-based exteriors to the much more organic and time-intensive height-mapped and painted terrain. The lecture will also cover the conversation editor, data editors, and data structures. All three editors underwent many changes that both benefitted and hindered the developer and end-users. The talk will address the fundamental structure of the editor: how careful engineering allowed ambitious end-users to author their own elaborate plug-ins for the editor itself. Looking toward the future, the talk will finish with a demonstration of how Obsidian has learned from its experiences on Neverwinter Nights 2 for its future projects, which will use the company's proprietary Onyx engine technology.

http://www.parisgdc.com/conf/conf.php?lang=en&conf=78

Commander Griker

Commander Griker

Why didn't they use the Unreal Engine 3.0?

Private Hudson

Private Hudson

They should have used the Crytek engine. :o

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: Commander Griker on Jan 15, 2009, 06:32:10 AM
Why didn't they use the Unreal Engine 3.0?
How about because everyone's using it, and diversity is a good thing.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

Why do people think the CryTek engine is so good. From what I heard all thats great about it is the wonderful graphics that can be accomplished other then that I heard its pretty much the same as Source only not as popular or moddible.
The Unreal Engine 3 is PERFECT for Aliens based games because those games have the atmosphere that can VERY well be done on the UE3 engine plus its an all around powerful engine.
If it were my choice I would request the three games to all have the same engine and in this case UE3.

Mustafuk

Mustafuk

Crysis engine is far from being good when I can not run crysis smoothly in a 1500E rig. Even if I use the lowest resolution, and put all graphical options in low, the game will be laggy sometimes.

On a side note, crysis game is too far from being best shooter game ever done. Can,t believe lots of magazines out there stated such atrocity like that.

The guys at Crytek promised performance improvements in the expansion..., I still don,t see them, It runs just as awful as the original game.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

Its because of all the damn kids who think that graphics is EVERYTHING. Thats wrong and far from right. Graphics are a bonus. Most kids would pick a wonderful game engine like Source or that in Halo 3 behind CoD4 just because its got "better" graphics.

GrimyGhost

GrimyGhost

Quote from: Mustafuk on Apr 30, 2009, 08:18:16 AM
Crysis engine is far from being good when I can not run crysis smoothly in a 1500E rig. Even if I use the lowest resolution, and put all graphical options in low, the game will be laggy sometimes.

On a side note, crysis game is too far from being best shooter game ever done. Can,t believe lots of magazines out there stated such atrocity like that.

The guys at Crytek promised performance improvements in the expansion..., I still don,t see them, It runs just as awful as the original game.

Just because your pc cant play it doesnt mean its a bad engine, times change and so do requirments, my pc plays it at dx10 very high nice and smooth.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

Lucky. I do not even bother with some newer games. I believe the NEWEST game I got to play on my PC was Left 4 Dead. And I had to lower the quality quite a bit and still it would freeze up on me.

Private Hudson

Private Hudson

Just like GrimyGhost said, it is all based on your PC, some can run it, some can't. It has been this way for ages and it always will. Cryengine is great, and is very moddable (Which is easily seen from the Predator mod BETA). I myself run Crysis on max settings, DX10, and it is easily one of the best engines created.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed