Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,295 times)

Robopadna

Quote from: Denton Smalls on Jun 05, 2017, 12:46:18 PM
Maybe Blu Ray sales will pick up slack.

There will be costs associated with those (not insignificant ones) but dvd (standard and blu ray) plus red box/online buys will supplement the box office take.

fiveways

Quote from: Gash on Jun 04, 2017, 11:43:47 PM
Quote from: bananasalesperson on Jun 04, 2017, 09:18:23 PM

Ridley Scott went full Lucas on us.

Really? That unfounded bullshit again?

Isn't that the Youtube level? Can't we expect more inspired critique here?

There are elements of truth in it as he made the universe feel really small.  David creating the Xeno (currently according to ridley he is the creator and I accept this might change) is the Alien equal of Anakin creating C-3PO as a child.  Making a sci-fi franchise smaller is never a good thing. 

Ryan741

I thought she was attractive.

Robopadna

lv_226

Quote from: Predaker on Jun 04, 2017, 01:29:48 PM
I think Daniels haircut negatively affected ticket sales.
What am I reading?

You do open up this discussion, potentially, to something that I see plagues the Alien series as a whole—the need for Ripley clones. This may contribute to people looking at Waterston and saying: "Oh no, not another "strong-resilient-woman-Ripley" archetype/character (which would be nullified given the success of Wonder Woman). However, for the purposes of this series it has becomes such a self-referential trope that I personally was glad to see the emphasis shift on David/Walter for the majority of Covenant' run-time.If anything challenges this series, it is the presence of self-referential tropes. I also think, and this may be a wider criticism needing its own thread,  but I don't believe the fans truly want something new/don't know what they want. NickisSmart, I believe, has provided some sound argumentation for this, and I believe that it is our own expectations, at the end of the day, that defeat the franchise.

If the formula worked, the series wouldn't have gotten stale. But, because Scott and Co. came and attempted to reinvigorate the series (by expanding the scope with Prometheus and changing the focus from human to non-human characters as principal protagonists), he took a creative risk that paid off for some and not for others. 

I, for one, am thankful that the series wasn't relegated to pure isolationist environments—this had been done to death. I really enjoyed some of the exterior shots of the Alien in Covenant, namely the shot of it rising in front of the Cathedral. That proves the beast is not cooked, but can still be used in new ways. Sorry, I started rambling here.

BigDaddyJohn

I think it's clearly disappointing, not a huge catastrophy with the worldwide results, but disappointing yes

Robopadna

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 05, 2017, 04:11:53 PM
I think it's clearly disappointing, not a huge catastrophy with the worldwide results, but disappointing yes

And that is where it will probably land..   a bad result and roughly breaking even when everything is accounted for.  Extremely disappointing from the studio's point of view but not a studio crippler.

Predaker

Quote from: lv_226 on Jun 05, 2017, 04:10:06 PM
What am I reading?

You do open up this discussion, potentially, to something that I see plagues the Alien series as a whole—the need for Ripley clones. This may contribute to people looking at Waterston and saying: "Oh no, not another "strong-resilient-woman-Ripley" archetype/character (which would be nullified given the success of Wonder Woman). However, for the purposes of this series it has becomes such a self-referential trope that I personally was glad to see the emphasis shift on David/Walter for the majority of Covenant' run-time.If anything challenges this series, it is the presence of self-referential tropes. I also think, and this may be a wider criticism needing its own thread,  but I don't believe the fans truly want something new/don't know what they want. NickisSmart, I believe, has provided some sound argumentation for this, and I believe that it is our own expectations, at the end of the day, that defeat the franchise.

If the formula worked, the series wouldn't have gotten stale. But, because Scott and Co. came and attempted to reinvigorate the series (by expanding the scope with Prometheus and changing the focus from human to non-human characters as principal protagonists), he took a creative risk that paid off for some and not for others. 

I, for one, am thankful that the series wasn't relegated to pure isolationist environments—this had been done to death. I really enjoyed some of the exterior shots of the Alien in Covenant, namely the shot of it rising in front of the Cathedral. That proves the beast is not cooked, but can still be used in new ways. Sorry, I started rambling here.

That was said partly in jest, however there is some truth to it. It's not that people would see the poster and say to themselves, "I'm not seeing a movie with that ugly haircut!" but a contributing factor to what draws (or doesn't) audiences to gravitate towards seeing a film.

lv_226

Quote from: Predaker on Jun 05, 2017, 05:34:21 PM
Quote from: lv_226 on Jun 05, 2017, 04:10:06 PM
What am I reading?

That was said partly in jest, however there is some truth to it. It's not that people would see the poster and say to themselves, "I'm not seeing a movie with that ugly haircut!" but a contributing factor to what draws (or doesn't) audiences to gravitate towards seeing a film.

I think I see what you are getting at. I would use Wonder Woman as an example here: if she were unattractive—I think it is safe to assume that Gal Gadot is an attractive woman for a good amount of average moviegoers—I doubt she would have even been cast. Similarily, part of what I enjoyed about Noomi Rapace was that she doesn not look like any of the actresses in her current generation. She is very unique, has something of a Gothic sensibility to her, a foreign mystique if you will, and having seen her in Dragon Tattoo... I can see why Ridley wanted to include her in Prometheus. A very weird anecdote was when I had seen the first Dragon Tattoo film before Prometheus had ever been announced I wondered, "Man, I would really like to see this chick in an Alien film".

Alionic

Quote from: fiveways on Jun 05, 2017, 02:22:42 PM

There are elements of truth in it as he made the universe feel really small.  David creating the Xeno (currently according to ridley he is the creator and I accept this might change) is the Alien equal of Anakin creating C-3PO as a child.  Making a sci-fi franchise smaller is never a good thing.

Lucas and Scott are two completely different types of filmmakers, and just arbitrarily putting both in the same league is simply disingenuous. Covenant is shot, filmed, designed, and told in a completely different way than the Star Wars prequels, so please stop unless you acknowledge that you're a troll.

XenoVC

XenoVC

Quote from: fiveways on Jun 05, 2017, 02:22:42 PM

C-3PO isn't the focus of the Star Wars films. They aren't dealing with him, or other Protocol droids as an antagonist.

If the Covenant has a bunch of Cats in stasis, and one of them is Jonesy's mom, then you'd have something there.

Quote from: Denton Smalls on Jun 05, 2017, 12:46:18 PM
Maybe Blu Ray sales will pick up slack.

They gave Requiem a major lift basically just a few short years before ITunes and Amazon took way off.

Seed-and-Weed

Quote from: SM on Jun 05, 2017, 08:23:27 AM
The current numbers are a week behind internationally, so it'll be interesting to see much some of the larger markets bring in (UK, Australia, South Korea, Germany, Russia).  Based on the drops from previous weeks, I can't imagine it'll make a great deal more.

China will make a bit, and Japan doesn't get a release till September.

I think it'll get past $200m, which will see it into the top 20 for the year, but there's probably about a dozen other films yet to be released that will wind up ahead of it.

Watching it last night I was struck by the fact that back when Alien and Aliens came out, there were a bunch of movies that mimicked them.  How many space horror movies are there now?  We had Life a few months back that didn't really do much.  Before that?  Apollo 18?  And both those films are tied to present day(ish) NASA stuff and not futuristic.  Maybe there's just not an appetite for this anymore to a mass audience.

Another thing I noticed in the trailers for Annabelle Creation and IT was this jump/cut frame sped up screaming in your face kind of scares.  And they're both in mundane settings.

Well, jump scares always work. Everyone know it's coming, but it's simply reflexive. Some emotional responses are just easier to provoke than others.

SM

SM

They work up to a point.

Deadmeat

Welp. China was a dud.

See you guys in 10 years, I guess..? :D

Denton Smalls

Quote from: Deadmeat on Jun 06, 2017, 03:59:46 PM
Welp. China was a dud.

See you guys in 10 years, I guess..? :D

What do you mean? It doesn't come out in China until 6/16.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed