Fact-check me on hypersleep/cryosleep/stasis

Started by Xenomrph, Mar 26, 2023, 02:08:43 AM

Author
Fact-check me on hypersleep/cryosleep/stasis (Read 2,024 times)

Xenomrph

I swear I remember reading something somewhere about the reason hypersleep is used in the Alien universe was because FTL messed with people and made them age faster or something like that, and the hypersleep pods mitigated that. I can't remember if maybe it was in the USCM Tech Manual or what. I definitely remember reading it well before the prequel movies.

Xenopedia makes no mention of what I'm thinking of.

Anyone want to fact-check me?

SiL

ADF mentions Jones died of time dilation in Alien 3, I think.

FTL would make you age slower, not faster.

In Alien it's resource management and preserving crew on long voyages.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Mar 26, 2023, 02:18:08 AMADF mentions Jones died of time dilation in Alien 3, I think.

FTL would make you age slower, not faster.

In Alien it's resource management and preserving crew on long voyages.
No I know it *should* make you age slower, but I swear I read it was some kind of technobabble about how FTL didn't have the expected affect on travelers so hypersleep had to be used.

I mean yeah I know the logical reason why you'd use hypersleep is to save on resources, I'm just trying to fact-check myself because I swear I read this but I cannot remember where. I'm just trying to check my sanity and make sure my mind didn't make it up.

Edit-- evidently I'm NOT totally crazy, as I made mention of it on my old Aliens Online Encyclopedia website back circa 2000, and I cited my sources.

QuoteCryotube: Also known as a hypersleep chamber, this device is used to stop the negative effect of faster-than-light spacetravel, such as premature aging. Cryotubes are standard on most spacefaring vessels. (A, A2SE, A3, G, EH, NA, FW, R)
So apparently I got the idea from Genocide, Earth Hive, Nightmare Asylum, Female War, or Rogue.

SiL

Might be in the novels then, I don't think the comics mention it.

Which is weird because it feels like inventing a problem that doesn't need to exist to explain someone that doesn't need to be explained.

... although that's pretty par for the course for the EU.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

I dont think FTL *causes* premature aging, but rather, like in real life, due to time dilation of travelling at high speeds, time passes differently during space travel (I'm sure you've heard the 'old example of "if you sent an astronaut to Mars for a 1 year round trip, upon returning to Earth x-amount of years would have passed") it's a real thing but it works both ways depending on the type of dilation (for example, gravitational dilation caused by large astrological bodies or black holes etc can make one appear to have aged faster) in reality, nobody is aging any faster than anyone else, it simply appears that way due to time passing at different rates. Cryotubes freeze a passenger at point of departure, therefore, you would expect that no matter how time passes differently, they would appear exactly the same as they left upon arrival once thawed. 😊👍

Wweyland

Might have been from the Rage War, which I find is not well covered in these multiple Xeno wikis.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Wweyland on Mar 30, 2023, 10:22:29 AMMight have been from the Rage War, which I find is not well covered in these multiple Xeno wikis.
Definitely wasn't where I got the idea, I made my website around the year 2000. If Rage War mentioned it, it wasn't the first time it had cropped up.

Like, I mean, unless I somehow fabricated it from whole cloth (doubtful) and then the Rage War referenced my website specifically, kinda like how the Calpamos thing appeared out of thin air and is now "canon".

Corporal Hicks

No, it was a Perry invention from what I remember. I'm sure it's either in Earth Hive or Nightmare Asylum that they talk about being out of cryo while the ship is in Einstein drive being a very bad thing for humans.

paxromana

It appeared in Aliens Colonial Marines Tech Manual, page 118, first as a comment by General Michele Kurama (in the middle of the page) and then as first paragraph of Life Support

426Buddy

Spoiler
[close]

Xenomrph

I KNEW I'd seen it somewhere.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 02, 2023, 02:00:57 AMI KNEW I'd seen it somewhere.

How do you not have that entire book memorized forward and backward at this point?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 02, 2023, 02:08:42 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 02, 2023, 02:00:57 AMI KNEW I'd seen it somewhere.

How do you not have that entire book memorized forward and backward at this point?
At one point I probably did.

[cancerblack]

Out of curiosity and pointless nostalgia, is there any of that Aliens Online Encyclopedia on the wayback machine? The name is a combination of very widely used words that make it harder than you'd think to search for.

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 06, 2023, 08:17:09 AMOut of curiosity and pointless nostalgia, is there any of that Aliens Online Encyclopedia on the wayback machine? The name is a combination of very widely used words that make it harder than you'd think to search for.

Do you mean this one?

https://web.archive.org/web/20040616173407/http://enc.absoluteavp.com:80/

I'm using my phone so I hope the link works correctly  :)

*EDIT*

You might have to find an earlier snap shot of the site on weyback as most of the links seem to try to redirect you to absolute AVP.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed