Aliens Echo : An Original Young Adult Novel

Started by felix, Jul 19, 2018, 12:59:24 AM

Author
Aliens Echo : An Original Young Adult Novel (Read 56,611 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Honestly, it was okay. It just didn't really do much for me. There's some really sweet (in a twisted way) moments -

Spoiler
was rather fond of Olivia having to cut her sister's head off
[close]

- but I just struggled to really connect with the main character. Too much distraction with romantic concerns that just felt out of place.

I flew through the first half but then slowed down and couldn't really get into it again.

TheSailingRabbit

Spoiler
So, it tried to respect the source material, but was dragged below the floor grates by the YA tropes anyway?
[close]

Hudson

I'll probably order it soon, but for anyone who doesn't want to, almost the entire thing is readable for free on Amazon by just clicking on the cover and scrolling down.

Wweyland

So what makes this a Junior Novel? Is it much easier to read with a bigger font or something?

SM

Young adult protagonists, with violence and language dialled down a notch.

Nostromo

Chapter 1 and already words such as Xenobiologists are flying around. This should get interesting quickly.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on May 01, 2019, 04:18:30 PM
Spoiler
So, it tried to respect the source material, but was dragged below the floor grates by the YA tropes anyway?
[close]

I wouldn't put it that way. I don't think it was dragged down. I just couldn't engage with her because while I know I was obsessed with my attractions at that age, I don't know if that'd keep cropping up again during an Alien invasion.

Quote from: Wweyland on May 01, 2019, 08:52:22 PM
So what makes this a Junior Novel? Is it much easier to read with a bigger font or something?

From my flick through the hardback it did actually have a bigger font in above to SM's point.

SM

I didn't find any problems engaging with her.  It all made sense to me.

The Cruentus

Recently got this to see if it stands up to more adult alien material, I just rushed through for now as I wanted to see if there was any real tension, gore, twists and anything that keeps it "alien".
Spoiler
So far, the first person format keeps everything personal but (in)conveniently means that there no "visible" character deaths or events happening outside of the Protagonists perspective.

The alien killing a lame chestburster was interesting, they usually protective of their kind and will refrain from killing hosts, this does not happen here. Another interesting thing is that we have another lgbt character/protagonist. The Alien franchise seems to be consistent in this. There was the avp novel with same sex married couple (ommited from the comic version)  another married couple in Fire and Stone/Life and Death, another married couple in Dust to Dust. Then we have Blue in Cold forge. Makes sense of course, it is the future and logically there shouldn't be any inequality or different treatment and it least it keeps things consistent that the alien franchise has pushed boundaries before, Ripley being one of the first female action hereos and tthe second film getting awards for a genre that rarely did before.

The character of Micheal was it? was a bit too obvious in his character type and it clearly set up to have his comeuppance. The twist regarding the twins is interesting too. All in all, I will give this a more closer read and give proper and more informed thoughts at later time.
Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 02, 2019, 07:43:29 AM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on May 01, 2019, 04:18:30 PM
Spoiler
[close]

I wouldn't put it that way. I don't think it was dragged down. I just couldn't engage with her because while I know I was obsessed with my attractions at that age, I don't know if that'd keep cropping up again during an Alien invasion.

Quote from: Wweyland on May 01, 2019, 08:52:22 PM

From my flick through the hardback it did actually have a bigger font in above to SM's point.

I saw it as the character attempting to obtain/feel a brief respite from all the horror and mayhem going on around her.
Spoiler
It was the only positive thing going for her
[close]

Quote from: SM on May 02, 2019, 11:12:00 AM
I didn't find any problems engaging with her.  It all made sense to me.

Same

Corporal Hicks

Might just be me. I'll give it another go at some point now I've got the actual book in hand. Like I said, I certainly didn't dislike it.

SM

What did you think about

Spoiler
what happened to Kora's mum?
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Spoiler
Them just leaving her hived up? Loved it! Love me some guilt and angst.
[close]

SM

Nah

Spoiler
Kora (the girlfriends) mum.  The woman who got torn in half.
[close]

Xiggz456

Spoiler
Both mothers had horrific ends  :D
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed