The Art of Prometheus: The Planet

Started by ikarop, Apr 18, 2012, 02:56:26 PM

Author
The Art of Prometheus: The Planet (Read 25,554 times)

BioMechanical

I think the real reason wy Ridley is giving up more bio for the more mechincal is because the "more bio" really doesn't make any sense, that an advanced civilization would incorporate mostly bone and flesh into their ships and structures?? And the whole jockey suit needed to be changed because in the first film the jockey suit was basically a skeleton..

It would make more sense that their ships, suits and structures would somewhat look fleshy or bony at first glance but be clearly made of a more metallic substance, alien carbon fiber or what have you. Save the bio parts for the weapons and projectiles.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 19, 2012, 01:49:00 AM
Ugh, now I know that I hate the premise of this film. IMO the connection to Alien better be tenuous at best, else this bullshit plot element is going to do some serious damage.

So help me, if anyone, human or alien, during the course of this film, utilizes an air-shaft for anything other than ventilation purposes...I swear I will throw my popcorn and coca-cola right at the screen.  I may even pelt the projectionist with ju-ju bees.  ;)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

I was really hoping that by 'interfere with our evolution' Scott meant that the Engineers just tossed an asteroid our way every now and again - something that could fit into what we know about the history of our planet - but mental and physical upgrades? This is Von Daniken to the god-damned letter (the guy who said that bananas were given to us by alien gods).

Interviewer: That leads us to ask if all your writing is a put-on. Are you, as one writer suggested, 'the most brilliant satirist in German literature for a century'?

Von Daniken: The answer is yes and no. We have a wonderful term in German: jein. It's a combination of ja and nein, yes and no. In some part, absolutely not; I mean what I say seriously. In other ways, I mean to make people laugh.

Interviewer: Well, you've succeeded in both aims.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 19, 2012, 05:35:27 AM
I was really hoping that by 'interfere with our evolution' Scott meant that the Engineers just tossed an asteroid our way every now and again - something that could fit into what we know about the history of our planet - but mental and physical upgrades? This is Von Daniken to the god-damned letter (the guy who said that bananas were given to us by alien gods).

Interviewer: That leads us to ask if all your writing is a put-on. Are you, as one writer suggested, 'the most brilliant satirist in German literature for a century'?

Von Daniken: The answer is yes and no. We have a wonderful term in German: jein. It's a combination of ja and nein, yes and no. In some part, absolutely not; I mean what I say seriously. In other ways, I mean to make people laugh.

Interviewer: Well, you've succeeded in both aims.

Leave it to those crazy Germans -- synthesize Orwellian doublespeak, mix in a few drops of highly unstable oxymoron, and distill it down to it's purest essence.  Bloody geniuses, I tell you.

firedeep

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 19, 2012, 06:11:58 AMLeave it to those crazy Germans -- synthesize Orwellian doublespeak, mix in a few drops of highly unstable oxymoron, and distill it down to it's purest essence.
And voila! Elemental bullshit. ;D

It's like watching someone you love slowly die from alzheimer's disease. Shit gets crazy (and objectively hilarious), and while you know you should take it all with a grain of salt it breaks your f**king heart. The only reassurance I have about it is that Ridley himself has obviously been steering the evolution of the story, and while that is no guarantee of awesomeness, it's still possible that they/he can pull it off with some degree of credibility.

Or that.

ThisBethesdaSea

Pachi....so, now that you've seen the film....oh yeah...:)

bioweapon

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 19, 2012, 05:35:27 AM

we actually dont know how RS elaborate in the movie this concept of upgrading human race. Presumably theres a whole chapter (the beginning of time) and he did some hints to go in a Kubrick way. With this said, I dont see impossible considering a mental and physical upgrade without getting in a hocus pocus zone.

Take for example the so called noncoding dna and the possible influence in evolution patterns. How a cosmic specie take a hand with this? It may be as plausible as to piss in the water. I mean Sagan gives an Intelligent life Formula for the galaxy. CanĀ“t we consider a formula in wich radiate a 1 million planets so theres a 1/1000 possibility to generate life there, and from this maybe just one of this milenia species generate intelligence?

If its been discussed before allow me apologize and please consider direct me to the available link.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 19, 2012, 08:59:10 AMPachi....so, now that you've seen the film....oh yeah...:)

It's not about the quality of the film, it's about the plausibility of the story. Saying that something might happen is different from saying that something did happen.

Quote from: bioweapon on Apr 19, 2012, 09:07:11 AMTake for example the so called noncoding dna and the possible influence in evolution patterns. How a cosmic specie take a hand with this?

Noncoding DNA in any species is a hangover from that species evolution. It's like hair; we don't need it, but we keep growing the shit.

Kol

Kol

Quote from: BioMechanical on Apr 19, 2012, 02:26:00 AM
It would make more sense that their ships, suits and structures would somewhat look fleshy or bony at first glance but be clearly made of a more metallic substance, alien carbon fiber or what have you. Save the bio parts for the weapons and projectiles.

if it will turn out, that the derelict from alien is indeed veeeery old, than it makes sense, making the jockey's more mechanical. but the main reasons, i think why it looks now how it looks is not making a repeat in style.
and of course 20.th century fox. i can't imagine that they wanted ever to produce a 200 mil. dollar movie with an aesthetic of the alien civilization they are not pleased with.
i just say: it's no coincidence that the jockey is 9 ft. tall blue humanoid. hmm, avatar?   ;)

@ deuterium & chris: i feel that this ancient astronaut thing seem to offend you.

Gekko1

Gekko1

"We've got a 250ft network of tunnelling in there, 150ft of chambers and 25ft high doors." 

25 foot high doors! :o

Why would 7" high humanoids need 25" high doors?

I'm still totally convinced that we have NOT seen a Space Jockey yet. The engineer is NOT a Space Jockey. I believe in that last 8 minutes we'll see Scott's big surprise and link to Alien. It will be the return to that planet of the Space Jockeys to rescue Shaw! :o

What a way to end the film! ;D

T Dog

T Dog

Hmmm. The lured Jockeys might make sense indeed. Would explain the corpses everywhere and the statuesque suits dotted around corridors. 

Although I think we are jumping the gun a bit.
We have a shot of a dead creature in a chair from a 1979 film that has a nickname of "The Space Jockey". THAT'S IT!

How can that be applied to this movie without considering the idea that they have hugely reshaped the entire concept of that skeleton in the chair. Who knows how they stretched it out.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Kol on Apr 19, 2012, 11:24:17 AM@ deuterium & chris: i feel that this ancient astronaut thing seem to offend you.

I am not offended by it, just bewildered that what I had hoped would be a good science fiction story could be so literally based upon it.

nendo

nendo

Quote from: acrediblesource on Apr 19, 2012, 12:22:47 AM
I love how Ridley poses his answers that are so easily misinterpreted by a reader.
This statement could be interpreted as  , 'I don't want it (the job)to be too Giger-y, but I don't  want to  give  it (the job) all up either.""
in any case it would mean "damned if you did, damned if you don't".

Whats your thoughts on this? any one else think so?

I think your reading to much into this.

I don't think its a word for word quote from Ridley. I think its was a summary over what he wanted

T Dog

T Dog

He just wanted clean Giger is all. It doesn't look as cool though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed