Predalien: Dreads or No Dreads

Started by Kradan, May 13, 2019, 05:37:20 PM

Do you like dreads as part of Predalien design?

Yay
35 (48.6%)
Nay
33 (45.8%)
No Predalien
4 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author
Predalien: Dreads or No Dreads (Read 12,739 times)

SuperiorIronman

I believe part of the problem as well with Chet was that the dreads came from Alien 3, so they had never been designed for the Predalien which is part of why it looks so awkward on it.

The art book for AVP-R does have some pretty good concept art for Chet and many of them include dreads. It's to me anyways one of those things that with a different crest or dread application and or placement would've made all the difference. Chet seemed to me pretty late-game development and despite the time they say they got, I wouldn't be surprised if they had to scramble for it which is why Chet looked the way it did. It also didn't help that putting "hair" on an Alien was new territory for the franchise.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 14, 2019, 12:43:22 PM
As boring as it sounds I would like a design that is not so far from Giger's Alien and without dreadlocks. That said, I only want the Predator's mandibles as a legacy.

This design works for me because it's actually creepy. The problem with Predaliens is that they oftentimes end up looking goofy. Case in point: AvP R.

Quote from: JokersWarPig on May 14, 2019, 02:04:59 PM
I don't despise the dread look, but it doesn't "need" them imo.
The problem with Chets look was the head was a bit to small which made them more pronounced than they needed to be

I couldn't disagree more. I've always thought the head was humorously large. Always looked like the whole thing was about to topple over.

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on May 14, 2019, 02:49:18 PM
I believe part of the problem as well with Chet was that the dreads came from Alien 3, so they had never been designed for the Predalien which is part of why it looks so awkward on it.

Huh?  ??? I think I missed my guess on this one, but I didn't know about that at all.

SuperiorIronman

Small correction; the Alien 3 rod puppet tail was used on the maquette and it transitioned onto the full-sized Predalien. However it was indeed something not initially meant for Chet.

It's mentioned in the BTS video for AVP-R and it's mentioned in "Inside the monster shop".
Now it's probably not specifically those tail casts used for Chet (I believe they are too small for that but I could be wrong), but the design carried over and are definitely modified for usage in AVP-R.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on May 14, 2019, 03:42:36 PM
Small correction; the Alien 3 rod puppet tail was used on the maquette and it transitioned onto the full-sized Predalien. However it was indeed something not initially meant for Chet.

It's mentioned in the BTS video for AVP-R and it's mentioned in "Inside the monster shop".
Now it's probably not specifically those tail casts used for Chet (I believe they are too small for that but I could be wrong), but the design carried over and are definitely modified for usage in AVP-R.

I didn't know that either but now looking at Chet's head i can definetly see it.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: The Old One on May 14, 2019, 07:32:52 PM
No. It's just my subjective opinion
Any other answer is possible

I think you wanted to say this ^^^, didn't you?

The Old One

The Old One

No. Always no.
Any other answer is incorrect.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on May 14, 2019, 12:33:03 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 13, 2019, 07:54:26 PM

Why they didn't show this feature off more in the movie I don't know, it's awesome.

Indeed.

Quote from: The Old One on May 14, 2019, 07:45:00 PM
No. Always no.
Any other answer is incorrect.

Monster Man

Monster Man

Predalien should be in theory easy to design, but everyone wants to go overboard with it instead.

What's upsetting is they ditch Giger's motif in favor of something that doesn't mesh well with the rest.

Sometimes things look really cool though.

Samhain13

Samhain13

I don't mind much either way. Most important thing for me in any alien design is biomechanical details and proportions/stance similar to the host.

The dreads themselves were not what bothered me on the bad predalien designs.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Monster Man on May 15, 2019, 12:42:16 AM
Predalien should be in theory easy to design, but everyone wants to go overboard with it instead.

I agree that less is more. It just seems obvious enough to me already that something is a Predalien if it has mandibles, so from that perspective the dreadlocks seem like overkill. Plus they create an entire conversation about the genetic traits of a host that crosses over and all that.

xxx

xxx

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 14, 2019, 12:43:22 PM
As boring as it sounds I would like a design that is not so far from Giger's Alien and without dreadlocks. That said, I only want the Predator's mandibles as a legacy.

much better :)

Monster Man

Monster Man

Corporal Hicks

God damn Spaghetti is good. I like that. I'd much rather spikes than any dreadlocks.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Monster Man on May 22, 2019, 05:05:52 AM

Honestly, I don't like that design. Can't say exactly what it is, but it just doesn't fit for me.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Stitch on May 22, 2019, 10:06:46 AM
Quote from: Monster Man on May 22, 2019, 05:05:52 AM

Honestly, I don't like that design. Can't say exactly what it is, but it just doesn't fit for me.

Agreed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed