Alien Reborn

Started by Stingray, Jun 24, 2012, 07:52:30 PM

Author
Alien Reborn (Read 21,903 times)

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Holy crap, yes! Already foaming at the mouth for the work print!

Stingray

Stingray

Suddenly, years later...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Brilliant! Looking forward to giving this a watch later tonight!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Just watched it. Interesting. Your passion for the original film comes through very clearly.

Suggestions:

* Most of your actual script was great. I'd polish some of the ship computer's wording, though. Phrases like, "I'm listening," "Fire away" and, "Give it up," are too informal and not the type of language I could imagine a Mother-alike using.

* Why did the ship refuse to allow the crew to evacuate if the mission was to retrieve the creature? It didn't require them to achieve that objective.

* Higher definition cameras would have helped a lot, but especially so for the picture of the planets at the start. The lack of sharpness to that image didn't sell me, as a viewer, on it being a real space environment.

* Use more than two camera angles for the table discussions! Have the actors replay the same discussion and shoot it from different angles and different zoom levels, if you need to. Look at the original film and notice when there are close-ups of Parker, Lambert and so on and for which reasons (Lambert inhaling from a cigarette and so on). The same two camera angles made that feel static.

* This is a flaw of many fan-films, but there was too much self-awareness of the actors, at some points. Some felt nice and natural, but others looked slightly awkward.

* The characters shouldn't be feeling so tense, initially, during the duct sequence. You have them later realise, in the script, that the creature has grown, but up until then they should just be assuming it's still pest-sized and not much of a cause for alarm. Allow their lack of awareness (possibly even arrogance) to drive the tension for the audience, until nightmarish reality begins to dawn upon them, Brett-style.

* There needs to be a reason why whichever character is acting as the medical authority hasn't scanned the facehugger's victim and realised something is gestating. Ash did, after all! :)

* I would avoid all references to the Sulaco. Just allow it to be an ambiguous, unknown wreck. This saves you from having to work in the 'Bishop-did-it' theory and devote more time to the story of your own characters.

* Don't allow your love of the original film to dictate events. Too much time was spent on trying to directly mirror the original film's events (right down to the inclusion of that fanous airlock scene). This is fine if you're undertaking a fan-made remake, but otherwise can make the viewer feel as if they're treading water. Diversify your story into being more original! :) You clearly have the talent and it's a shame you aren't allowing your story to be its own thing more.

* Hand-held camera-shake is fine to emulate vibration, but not when you're attempting to show smoothly gliding spaceships. Place the model or the camera on either wire/rail-guides or, more cheaply, mount them on top of a wheeled toy and pull them along with wire. This is a cheap and easy way of creating a 'dolly' effect and will enrich the motion effect you're going for. Even the slightest shake will cause the audience to remember you're using models, instead of helping to create willing suspension of disbelief.

Stingray

Stingray

All good suggestions I've learned over time and are reasons I consider this such an awful project, but I was young and it was my first film with actors and all that... It was too ambitious for what I had and I realize that now looking back at how cringy it turned out. I want to say I would've polished a lot of this had I had a chance to finish it, but it wouldn't excuse how awfully derivative of the first film it was, nor distract from the cheapness of it (not having materials to finish walls, no slider/dolly setups for model shots, etc)... My excuse for it being so derivative is mostly due to an almost nothing budget and lack of materials, etc.

The first script I wrote when I was 13 was huge in scale... a big, seemingly abandoned factory planet where a rogue marine faction was training the aliens to build their own army of them (before I knew a similar idea was already done in Nightmare Asylum) and a scout ship (the Dreadnaught) with our main characters aboard accidentally discover this after landing on the planet for repairs, as well as the Sulaco pre-Alien 3 with all the main characters of Aliens who responded to their distress call  ::) . The script after that involved the Dreadnaught docking at this deep space resupply station shaped like the death star (a take on the unused artificial planet idea from Alien 3, but without wood) where secret alien experiments are being done and some of the specimens broke free. The third script was where I decided to link it to Alien 3's abandoned Sulaco as the source for the chaos, but by then it started getting more derivative until the fourth and final script resulted in Alien Reborn. To be honest I think all of my attempts were utterly ridiculous.

As for how to compose the shots, thanks for the suggestions, but surely I would've filmed more had the actors stuck with me on the project. Unfortunately this is the only footage I have of them.

"Why did the ship refuse to allow the crew to evacuate if the mission was to retrieve the creature? It didn't require them to achieve that objective."
That was stupid me forgetting to explain that in Overscan's dialogue... I forgot the exact details because it's been so long, but it had to do with the company treating the ship as like a petri dish... should it return to earth there would be archival footage of how the creature behaved around humans, or something like that. Also, I made Overscan informal as a nod to his human-like intelligence (he's a newer AI than Mother, as this takes place after Alien 3... about 57 years after the events of the first film, IIRC). Seemed like a good idea at the time since I couldn't have an Ash character. Overscan was supposed to be the medical authority as well, but I guess I neglected to write any of that stuff too. Oh well.

The whole thing was a disaster that makes me cringe every time I think about it. But I thought I'd show the result anyway since so many people were interested before.  :)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Thanks for that clarification! I'd actually forgotten a few of those points... Shows how long it's been since I read up on this! :)

Makes a lot more sense as a 'this is what could have once been' demonstration, definitely. Gives a nice historical context to the project.

Stingray

Stingray

Then of course there was this cringy POS, lol...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed