Alien: Covenant will shoot in Oz - with twice as much Michael Fassbender

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 27, 2015, 10:23:08 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant will shoot in Oz - with twice as much Michael Fassbender (Read 32,670 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Mustangjeff on Nov 29, 2015, 04:30:30 PM
That always bugged me about Charlie Holloways reaction to finding some dead Engineers.  I remember thinking as I watched the movie in the theater, "You've got more temples to explore you dumbsh1t".

It bugged me he was so depressed with that discovery. That discovery, regardless of the Engineers being alive or not, was still monumental.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 30, 2015, 08:16:20 AM
That always bugged me about Charlie Holloways reaction to finding some dead Engineers.  I remember thinking as I watched the movie in the theater, "You've got more temples to explore you dumbsh1t".

It bugged me he was so depressed with that discovery. That discovery, regardless of the Engineers being alive or not, was still monumental.

Yep, that was another of Lindelof's brilliant contributions.

In the original Spaihts script, Holloway made it very clear from the beginning that he wasn't expecting to find any aliens still alive. Because as in the real world, it would be highly unlikely for humans to encounter another sentient space-faring species within our own existential timeframe.

In fact, Holloway was really ecstatic to find the Engineer remains and quite rightly so, because dead or alive, finding a sentient alien race would be mankind's greatest discovery ever.

Perfect-Organism

Yes that part of the movie was silly beyond belief.  He wanted to know the answers to the big questions about life on the same maturity level as a 5-year old and threw a temper tantrum in the same way when he was denied.  That is so unlikely for a Doctor, and especially when they just started to scratch the surface of what they found.  The fact that they all jumped to the same conclusion that "they're all dead" is ludicrous.

Corporal Hicks

One of many character issues with Prometheus.

whiterabbit

It was the alcohol talking man, hiccup 🎼 ♫♩♬

f**k, I still hate that part the most about Prometheus. It's wasn't even one day and yet everyone got bored and wanted to go home. The Characters sucked, moestly.

Primordial

I see Holloway is getting a unanimous dislike for his behavior here. I can understand it and I respect your taste. For sure, finding an Engineer, even dead, is still a big step in the field of discovery for mankind and being happy about it is more of a an adult way to apprehend the situation. He could also, as you say Mustangjeff, be patient and give it a try on the other pyramids, and why not, on other places of the moon.

He surely imagined a completely different destination and he probably felt there was nothing there. The disappointment was so big that his rational part sliped away.
I don't mind how he reacted on a personal level, he is coherent with his character of great integrity, like taking off his helmet, saying to David he is ready to do everything and anything, suiciding to prevent the crew of contamination (even if it is too late).
It is also coherent with Damon Lindelof's phrase of ''not responding to 'safe' in writing''

QuoteThere were 3 or 4 temples on LV-223 that were never explored.  I'm not saying there is anything different in any of the other temples, but you never know! Clearly Shaw and David had to go into another one to get to a fresh Juggernaut.

I imagine the other pyramids also being places to experiment and give birth to goo related creatures, with other species than we saw in the first one (human and pre-Xenomorph species, head between knees).
But it could be something different, yes. Still, Shaw's heading to Paradise by saying :
''There is only death here now, and I'm leaving it behind''. Is it a quick assertion or they checked more the place to reach this conclusion ?

It would be a kicker if the ship they took off in had a few Engineers in Cryo along for the ride.

You are talking about some hidden cryotubes then. If I were them, I would carefully check no one is on board, given the slight dispute that occured in a recent past !

Liberator

Isn't Shaw supposed to go the engineers' home world?

CainsSon

Quote from: PrimitifAlien on Dec 03, 2015, 08:07:04 PM

I see Holloway is getting a unanimous dislike for his behavior here. I can understand it and I respect your taste. For sure, finding an Engineer, even dead, is still a big step in the field of discovery for mankind and being happy about it is more of a an adult way to apprehend the situation. He could also, as you say Mustangjeff, be patient and give it a try on the other pyramids, and why not, on other places of the moon.

He surely imagined a completely different destination and he probably felt there was nothing there. The disappointment was so big that his rational part sliped away.
I don't mind how he reacted on a personal level, he is coherent with his character of great integrity, like taking off his helmet, saying to David he is ready to do everything and anything, suiciding to prevent the crew of contamination (even if it is too late).
It is also coherent with Damon Lindelof's phrase of ''not responding to 'safe' in writing''

QuoteThere were 3 or 4 temples on LV-223 that were never explored.  I'm not saying there is anything different in any of the other temples, but you never know! Clearly Shaw and David had to go into another one to get to a fresh Juggernaut.

I imagine the other pyramids also being places to experiment and give birth to goo related creatures, with other species than we saw in the first one (human and pre-Xenomorph species, head between knees).
But it could be something different, yes. Still, Shaw's heading to Paradise by saying :
''There is only death here now, and I'm leaving it behind''. Is it a quick assertion or they checked more the place to reach this conclusion ?

It would be a kicker if the ship they took off in had a few Engineers in Cryo along for the ride.

You are talking about some hidden cryotubes then. If I were them, I would carefully check no one is on board, given the slight dispute that occured in a recent past !

This OTHER PYRAMIDS thing, is to me, the biggest oversight w/ Prometheus. Not because they didnt explore them in the movie, but because it is INFERRED at the end that Shaw had to drag David's head through one of the other Pyramids to find another ship and fly it out of there,.. Aside from the fact that them flying the ship by themselves, warrants another scene NOT included in the film, by itself... I am annoyed with the idea that we dont see what happened when they schmaltz through these other pyramids to find another working ship. Did nothing of any interest happen in those pyramids? Am I supposed to think it was "La-di-da and now another identical pyramid with all the same stuff and ooo! Here! We found another ship... Peace!" And they lived happily ever after?
Its a big script problem for me.
That script overall could not decide how real-timey it wanted its events to unfold in.

itshouldneverhavebeenabug

itshouldneverhavebeenabug

Good points well made

Primordial

Quote from: CainsSon on Dec 04, 2015, 07:35:50 AM
This OTHER PYRAMIDS thing, is to me, the biggest oversight w/ Prometheus. Not because they didnt explore them in the movie, but because it is INFERRED at the end that Shaw had to drag David's head through one of the other Pyramids to find another ship and fly it out of there,.. Aside from the fact that them flying the ship by themselves, warrants another scene NOT included in the film, by itself... I am annoyed with the idea that we dont see what happened when they schmaltz through these other pyramids to find another working ship. Did nothing of any interest happen in those pyramids? Am I supposed to think it was "La-di-da and now another identical pyramid with all the same stuff and ooo! Here! We found another ship... Peace!" And they lived happily ever after?

Well yes, we are probably supposed to think that  :) ... David said to Shaw there were many other ships.
If it is redundant and time consuming (Shaw dragging David's body and head through another pyramid, or more), they won't expand on it, like 'our first alien' deleted scene when Milburn finds a lifeform and is excited about it (they decided to cut it out because they thought they had to expand more on it, give enough explanations to the audience).
They still could have met halfway and put some short scenes to clear up things : are the other pyramids more or less the same ?
From a pacing perspective, it is interesting to see that them getting out of the Juggernaut is slow action, then the buggy scene is fast action, finally followed by speed of light action with the new ship taking off.

QuoteThat script overall could not decide how real-timey it wanted its events to unfold in.

This is a nice sentence, I'll memorize it !
At the risk of being off topic to it, arrival of Prometheus to LV-223 is 21st december and departure from it is 1st January, say 11 days. But a day overthere surely doesn't match Earth time, taking into account rotation period and orbit around the planet. When Janek says to the lost guys that they are going to fetch them in the morning, it could be the equivalent of few Earth days...

Corporal Hicks

Fassbender is wearing a Covenant ship hat. He also doesn't look like he has blond hair. Is this our second David? He comes on the Covenant?

whiterabbit

Is that picture telling us that David is a Space Trucker in A:C?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 17, 2016, 07:54:30 AM

Fassbender is wearing a Covenant ship hat. He also doesn't look like he has blond hair. Is this our second David? He comes on the Covenant?

Good morning Corporal. Was already posted in the social media thread yesterday.  :P

It's good to see the original Egyptian winged Weylan Yutani logo again. Prometheus' one just never did it for me.

Corporal Hicks

I know but you weren't talking about what I said here!  :P

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 17, 2016, 01:40:58 PM
It's good to see the original Egyptian winged Weylan Yutani logo again. Prometheus' one just never did it for me.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Prometheus one - you could see the hints of the wings - but it's nice to see them back in earnest for Covenant.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed