DH Announces Alien: Rescue (Amanda Ripley’s Story Continues)

Started by Ultramorph, Feb 20, 2019, 04:32:00 PM

Author
DH Announces Alien: Rescue (Amanda Ripley’s Story Continues) (Read 44,672 times)

SM

It gets mentioned in a later issue.

SpaceKase

Nice! I gotta loves me some nice solid data points. As long as they steer well clear of the Unreliable Narrator shtick I'll be able to maintain my sanity.
Aliens: Rescue "2145" Boom.

Now the agonizing wait until we get more details about ACM: Rising Threat. I'm only halfway through Echo and the timeline clues are mighty spartan.

Corporal Hicks

I enjoyed #2. Interesting to see them get into the politics of the corp, and opposing the privatisation that is W-Y. Feels a little at odds with the end of Defiance though.

Not digging this series' take on the Alien artwork though. I like the rest of it, though.

Who wants to bet that the migration
Spoiler
is because of a Queen. I don't believe Amanda or Zula have run into one yet, have they? So they don't know about them.
[close]

JokersWarPig

I didn't even know #2 was out...gonna have to check my local spots tomorrow. For whatever reason the Alien books have been flying off the shelves in my area

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 21, 2019, 04:24:20 PM
I enjoyed #2. Interesting to see them get into the politics of the corp, and opposing the privatisation that is W-Y. Feels a little at odds with the end of Defiance though.

Not digging this series' take on the Alien artwork though. I like the rest of it, though.

Who wants to bet that the migration
Spoiler
is because of a Queen. I don't believe Amanda or Zula have run into one yet, have they? So they don't know about them.
[close]

Spoiler
Zula did in Defiance.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Duh! Of course. Maybe not then.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

So, Rescue #2 is finally out and...

YASSSSS SO MUCH WORLD BUILDING!
I think it's safe to say I've been enthusiastically chomping at the bit for this one.

Here's a smattering of thoughts.

The ships!

Okay, so the Sulaco's Conestoga class ships weren't commissioned until around 2169-ish. So clearly these are an earlier design iteration, possibly early Hellespont carriers or something totally different; older than the Conestoga's but not quite as old a class the janky ancient Europa which was probably contemporary with the first gen of USCMC from the turn of the century (circa 2101) and sold to the private sector after decommissioning. The class shown here is probably a subsequent generation commissioned in the 2120's, having those weird side mounted launch bays in lieu of the dual Particle Beam gun placements of the later designs. 

The modified lander. I *love* the modified Lander. I can't wait to model it.

Stellar Cartography
Finally more info on this system! So um, spoiler alerts, I guess...? Well, only if you're as nerdy about this stuff as I am...

Going back to the first issue, the advanced training on Mars is likely taking place on the Sinai or Solis Planum just South/Southeast of Camp Hanneken in the Valles Marineris.

So, apparently the 'Home Planet' is a terrestrial Super Earth with an appx diameter of 127,427.9 km (79,180mi), hopefully it's reeeeally light and porous like a marshmallow or our heroes are gonna get squished by the gravity something fierce. The system's star appears yellowish, like Sol, and given how close it is, (just a 9 day jump from Earth), this could be as close as the Rigel Kentaurus system, around either Alpha Cen A or B. But I've got some other ideas that might better fit the bill if you wanna get super nerdy about it. Also, since the clunky name 'Home Planet' sounds like something a Navi would come up with, I'm going to tentatively refer to the big world as Doren and the smaller world as the Forest Moon of Doren. A small homage to the old wook-ee/e-wok inversion from you-know-where.

This also gives us a rough size for the Forest Moon, check check it.

Other Design nods

I Love the turnabout design of the gun Zula offers Alec. The design aesthetic of the Sulaco was supposed to be reminiscent of a giant floating gun, and this gun seems to be reminiscent of a tiny Sulaco. Pretty rad.

The deus ex "saccus dorsualis" from the last series is apparently called a Hex Shelter. I really want one.

Regarding the timeline
In issue #1 of this series Alec mentions growing up in El Hoyo, a suburb of Mexico city, so, ostensibly Alec is from Mexican culture. Given his features from this series and the other interpretation from Resistance, it would seem to indicate that he might be Filipino. Which, if accurate, would make him the first Filipino character of the franchise, which would be pretty cool. This also likely puts the opening scenes of Resistance in Mexico city as well. Since Alec is sent away by his family upon, what is presumed to be his coming of age, this would most likely his Quince Anos, a practice gaining ever more popularity in this day and age but which would presumably be even more common in the future, making him 15 in Resistance.

The average age for Marine recruits is 18-28, so at first I figured this story probably takes place 8 (plus or minus 5 years) years after Resistance's 2140; but it could be as early at 2143 or as late as 2153.

According to this issue, back on Earth, El Hoyo was finally evacuated 5 years ago, this was some time after our heroes lifted off, but not apparently simultaneously with those scenes. A better clue about our current time is Amanda specifically referring to the meteorites falling from the Forest Moon to the blue "Home Planet" over the last *half dozen* years; a figurative term seeming to mean roughly six years, as one wouldn't presumably wouldn't describe 5 years as 'half a dozen', but could conceivably describe 7 or so years as half a dozen. So given that the meteorites were caused by Davis' nuke detonation of the W-Y blacksite. I'm gonna say this is probably 2147 or 48.

Also, unless there's some weird word bubble shenanigans happening here, which is not out of the question considering the shifting tenses and perspectives throughout, Zula is apparently also from El Hoyo. Aw, fams. <3

I'm really stoked about how this series is turning out so far, but it's really anybody's game still. When will we find out about the crazy cloaking super androids??

SM

SM

Rescue is five years after Resistance.

I raised the bit about it being too early in the timeline for Conestogas but they went ahead anyway.

Local Trouble

Meh, I have no gripe with the Conestogas having been in service for a few decades by the time of Aliens.

SM

Most of the things I raise with Fox are exceedingly nitpicky and likely to be noticed by three people.  Four tops.

Local Trouble

That doesn't matter so long as it's the right three or four people.

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Aug 22, 2019, 02:12:17 AM
Rescue is five years after Resistance.

I raised the bit about it being too early in the timeline for Conestogas but they went ahead anyway.

A hard 5 raises some unnecessary and easily avoidable problems with internal consistency, but hey, whatever makes the powers that be happy. Does something pop up in a later issue that makes the timespan unambiguous or is this editorial/author intent metadata? Hey Wibbly Wobbly.

Regarding the class, just like the variant look they finally settled upon with the Europa in the latter half of Defiance, I think it's totally plausible for these to be a precursor class, similar but different, no timelines fouls necessary. I mean really, how different does the overall shape of a 1952 Mitscher-Class Destroyer look from a 1972 Spruance class Destroyer?

It brings to mind the more advanced post-Conestogas like the Tarawa and her fleet from in Three World War, kinda sleek and sexy. Those were meant to be the Bougainville's weren't they? I think I saw at least one with that hammer head design like the Marlowe in there. But I digress...

I'm really looking forward to seeing if we get any further information about where this classified star system may actually be.

SM

The design in some of the later issues of Defiance was a mistake.  Pretty sure the last issue or two corrected it back to the original design.

I also raised the five years vs. half a dozen years thing - but it's kinda close enough not to be an big issue.

SpaceKase

Hey man, at least it's not as bad as the whole, 'Androids are designed to last up to one whole minute in a vacuum!' thing.

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed