Caretakers of Terror, An Interview With ADI’s Alec Gillis & Tom Woodruff Jr. - AvP Galaxy Podcast #126

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2021, 02:19:10 PM

Author
Caretakers of Terror, An Interview With ADI’s Alec Gillis & Tom Woodruff Jr. - AvP Galaxy Podcast #126 (Read 18,442 times)

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 09, 2021, 05:57:21 PM
It sure is gooey! I wonder how screening audiences reacted to it.

Wasn't that the story, where test audiences complained about The Thing 2011's practical fx (among other things) and everyone acknowledged improvements needed to be made in areas, but the debate was go CG or replace some of troublesome practical fx with improved practical fx?

Not sure but it is funny that the CGI in that film ended up being a huge complaint ha

BigDaddyJohn

Indeed. The creatures ended up having an interesting design though.

SiL

Wasn't that the story, where test audiences complained about The Thing 2011's practical fx (among other things) and everyone acknowledged improvements needed to be made in areas, but the debate was go CG or replace some of troublesome practical fx with improved practical fx?
The producers didn't seem to want to use the practical effects as early as shooting. Woodruff has a story about the guy who splits in half in the helicopter; the producers didn't like that the effect they made only looked good from certain angles. ADI explained that was kind of how practical effects worked and it was ok because that was the angle it was meant to be seen at. The producers didn't like the limitation and the effect was replaced with CGI ... Seen at exactly the angle the practical effect was designed for anyway.

Local Trouble

Kradan

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on May 09, 2021, 08:17:53 PM

The producers didn't seem to want to use the practical effects as early as shooting. Woodruff has a story about the guy who splits in half in the helicopter; the producers didn't like that the effect they made only looked good from certain angles. ADI explained that was kind of how practical effects worked and it was ok because that was the angle it was meant to be seen at. The producers didn't like the limitation and the effect was replaced with CGI ... Seen at exactly the angle the practical effect was designed for anyway.

Here's what I remembered... The Thing 2011's Screenwriter Eric Heisserer.

Eric on the belief going in that everything should be practical:

• There's a lot of CGI in the film. While it was in development we kept hearing that the effects would be practical [Rob Bottin's groundbreaking practical effects are a hallmark of the 1982 The Thing]. When did this come into play? 
    "I got this job going in with the firm, fervid belief that no CGI should ever be in this movie. That it should be all practical. We are creating a very grounded psychological thriller and part of that paranoia with the monster movie is to have the monsters as real and as grounded as everything else we're making around them. That's not to say that I am slighting the CG department, because those guys are workhorses... [But] the last thing you want to do is take the audience out of the film. You want to have them married to the story. And I felt that, what little I saw being onset and in the dailies, the practical stuff looked great. But that's an argument that I was out of and it's an argument that I trust [director] Mattjis [van Heijningen Jr.] stuck with for as long as he could and for his reasons. While I'm not quite as qualified to talk about the specifics, I know that as a storyteller, we were all onboard with this being a practical movie."

Eric on the test screenings that changed things:

• Principal photography wrapped a while back. What's the gestation process on this been like? "Test screenings really changed the shape of this film from what I wrote to what the audience will ultimately see, for better or worse... I can say that going through this experience that no studio would make a film like 'Alien' or even Carpenter and Lancaster's version of 'The Thing' today. There is a sense of impatience from the audience to just get to whatever it is they paid their ticket for. And that can hurt filmmakers but it can also help box office. It's a strange argument to have."
    So what was added in reshoots? "As I understand it, they were replacing scene work outside of Antarctica. Like at Columbia where we meet Kate and to a lesser extent where we meet the other American members. The other re-shoots as I know them were more of a fight between practical effects and CG. When I was on set and when Mattjis shot a lot of this, and he's a great director by the way, it was all practical. We had Mary using a flamethrower on an animatronic and it looked great. It's hard to say what it looked like once they got into editing, I wasn't a part of that process, but I do know that there were two definite sides of the argument. There were people saying we had to replace with CG and there were people saying we could make the practical [effects] better in places where they fell short."
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/interviews/26758/interview-the-thing-2011-screenwriter-explains-how-the-film-transformed-into-what-you-saw/

So it was part of the reshoots after the test screenings, but was it audiences dictating, just producers, or a mixture of both, it's hard to be sure.

It seems based on this last sentence "There were people saying we had to replace with CG and there were people saying we could make the practical [effects] better in places where they fell short" there was an acknowledgement even on the pro-practical fx side that some of their fx (per Eric) "fell short", but it does seem a shame (if that's the case) that they couldn't even try to fix the practical fx with practical fx... especially when the love for the first film is so tied to its practical effects.

SiL

True, audience reaction didn't help. But from all accounts together it feels like the producers used the reaction to justify their existing desire to go CGI and force the filmmakers hands, rather than the impetus for change.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Darkness on May 07, 2021, 11:26:19 AM
Here's the transcription from the interview: https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/alec-gillis-tom-woodruff-2/

Yeah, good work. The Giger stuff was interesting. I just feel sorry for him that it ended up like that. But it's understandable, the studio just wanted to crack on with the movie and Giger didn't want to sort of be on set to work on it. I can't seem to find the Cinemafantastique article they mentioned.

Thanks for transcribing that, D. That must have taken a good bit.

Voodoo Magic

I hope Darkness left out all the abuse Tom gave Aaron!

BlueMarsalis79

The Necronoir

Quote from: Keyes on Apr 27, 2021, 08:57:35 PM
I never knew there was an animatronic PredAlien built. Any pics of that available?

Likewise, and I'm curious to know that as well! As the guys were saying in the interview, the animatronic version afforded them a chance to make the creature at its proper scale and in proper proportion, so it'd be interesting to actually see that. We have the scaled-down models like the one Alec hoists up, sure, but that animatronic must have been something else!

SiL

Quote from: The Necronoir on May 20, 2021, 02:16:09 PM
I never knew there was an animatronic PredAlien built. Any pics of that available?

Likewise, and I'm curious to know that as well! As the guys were saying in the interview, the animatronic version afforded them a chance to make the creature at its proper scale and in proper proportion, so it'd be interesting to actually see that. We have the scaled-down models like the one Alec hoists up, sure, but that animatronic must have been something else!
It might have been a reskin of their animatronic Alien from AvP. Not sure where it would've been used in the movie.

426Buddy

Quote from: SiL on May 20, 2021, 08:23:29 PM

It might have been a reskin of their animatronic Alien from AvP. Not sure where it would've been used in the movie.

Didn't they say in the interview that they were going to use it for the rooftop battle at the end but that the crew wouldn't wait for it to be moved into place?

Anyway I always get the impression that Tom really  dislikes interacting with the community/fanbase.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 20, 2021, 09:12:56 PM
Quote from: SiL on May 20, 2021, 08:23:29 PM

Didn't they say in the interview that they were going to use it for the rooftop battle at the end but that the crew wouldn't wait for it to be moved into place?

Anyway I always get the impression that Tom really  dislikes interacting with the community/fanbase.

I think he's just not on that level that we are on where you can dig up stuff in hindsight from multiple sources. If somebody were to ask you, remember that time when we worked together 28 years ago..... You'd probably be like...."what"?!

Then they ask you that 9 times.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed