Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 03, 2020, 03:53:38 PM

Author
Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis! (Read 96,707 times)

426Buddy

Thanks! That does clear up a lot.. Maybe I shouldn't have read it so quickly lol

Need to dedicate some time to re-reading both TCF and IC.

Engineer

I think the B&W comics are some of the best in the series tbh
Helps create more atmosphere/mood

426Buddy

Aliens: Special is an old favorite of mine. I've always loved the cover and the short stories were really good. Elder Gods is probably one of my favorite DH alien stories

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 02, 2021, 01:51:22 AM
Thanks! That does clear up a lot.. Maybe I shouldn't have read it so quickly lol

The book is Crazy dense. I've been kinda looping the audio while doing chores and exercising and what not, it's taken quite a bit to lay it all out. Plus Alex is really good at dropping super revelatory tidbits and then immediately having a distraction pop up so both the character and us get caught up in the ensuing action and forget the subtle little thing that was just discovered or mentioned. It's good narrative sleight of hand.

Spoiler
I'm still unclear on who sent Shy the spoofed Don't Trust email, though I'm pretty sure it was Blue, but how and why she chose Shy or Kamran as people of interest I'm less clear on, I've got to put together a timeline for Blue, I think she's been downstairs in the basement for months while she sent Father out on other missions, but I'm not sure how her ship escaped the colony's notice when it first arrived and then took off again. Maybe she hacked into the security system the first time and arranged a little outage. I almost thought for a moment she was up to her old tricks hacking into the Gardenia's Marcus before the crew woke up and Nouh shut off Marcus's WiFi connection. I also wondered for a hot minute if she was controlling the Marcus when he was putting his hand up to the glass and then caused his little disruption with Matsushita and the keycard. I've gotta retrace the action though. Always fun when there's mysteries to uncover.
[close]

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 02, 2021, 02:00:21 AM
Aliens: Special is an old favorite of mine. I've always loved the cover and the short stories were really good. Elder Gods is probably one of my favorite DH alien stories

Totally agreed. "45 Seconds" is great too, but with regards to b&w stories, me and the partner recently got hooked on Westworld so "Tourist Season" also plays a special place in our hearts. I appreciated that Clara put a WW homage into the RPG map, Delos has a bit of a legacy insofar as fictional star maps go.

BlueMarsalis79

Spoiler
Definitely Blue Marsalis considering the way they speak later in the story.
[close]

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 03, 2021, 01:20:04 PM
Spoiler
Definitely Blue Marsalis considering the way they speak later in the story.
[close]

You mean because of the way M types? I agree with that, but why do you think M would target Shy specifically? Or do you think they were just trying to ward off the Gardenia from the colony in general and Shy's address just happened to be the one that M spoofed?

Maybe M hacked into Rezza's e-mail and found the correspondence he had with Shy before they left Earth.

Engineer

Quote from: SpaceKase on Apr 02, 2021, 02:05:51 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 02, 2021, 01:51:22 AM

The book is Crazy dense. I've been kinda looping the audio while doing chores and exercising and what not, it's taken quite a bit to lay it all out. Plus Alex is really good at dropping super revelatory tidbits and then immediately having a distraction pop up so both the character and us get caught up in the ensuing action and forget the subtle little thing that was just discovered or mentioned. It's good narrative sleight of hand.

Spoiler
I'm still unclear on who sent Shy the spoofed Don't Trust email, though I'm pretty sure it was Blue, but how and why she chose Shy or Kamran as people of interest I'm less clear on, I've got to put together a timeline for Blue, I think she's been downstairs in the basement for months while she sent Father out on other missions, but I'm not sure how her ship escaped the colony's notice when it first arrived and then took off again. Maybe she hacked into the security system the first time and arranged a little outage. I almost thought for a moment she was up to her old tricks hacking into the Gardenia's Marcus before the crew woke up and Nouh shut off Marcus's WiFi connection. I also wondered for a hot minute if she was controlling the Marcus when he was putting his hand up to the glass and then caused his little disruption with Matsushita and the keycard. I've gotta retrace the action though. Always fun when there's mysteries to uncover.
[close]

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 02, 2021, 02:00:21 AM

Totally agreed. "45 Seconds" is great too, but with regards to b&w stories, me and the partner recently got hooked on Westworld so "Tourist Season" also plays a special place in our hearts. I appreciated that Clara put a WW homage into the RPG map, Delos has a bit of a legacy insofar as fictional star maps go.

You should checkout "countdown" not to be confused with 45 seconds. Countdown is another short B&W story. Incredible art imo. Ties in to the original 2 comic series too if I'm not mistaken.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Engineer on Apr 03, 2021, 05:24:35 PM

You should checkout "countdown" not to be confused with 45 seconds. Countdown is another short B&W story. Incredible art imo. Ties in to the original 2 comic series too if I'm not mistaken.

I love Countdown! Smooth as Silk...  Didn't Mike Richardson the founder of Dark Horse himself write that one? Den Beauvais has some gorgeous panels in that one my favorite is the "...obstacles." reveal panel.

I have this ambition to do an audio drama adaptation someday and I put together a little timeline with the 5 or so comic series that make up the whole Earth War saga just to properly lay out the narrative. The countdown story is dead center in it. I put it chronologically into the early panels of Nightmare Asylum where Hicks,Wilks, Hicks is agonizing over the random transmissions out of Earth.

I'm reeeeally hoping Marvel republishes that story in a decent format in one of their upcoming collections, Den's art is really gorgeous in black & white.

Engineer

Quote from: SpaceKase on Apr 03, 2021, 05:49:11 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Apr 03, 2021, 05:24:35 PM

I love Countdown! Smooth as Silk...  Didn't Mike Richardson the founder of Dark Horse himself write that one? Den Beauvais has some gorgeous panels in that one my favorite is the "...obstacles." reveal panel.

I have this ambition to do an audio drama adaptation someday and I put together this little comic remix with the 5 or so comic series that make up the whole Earth War saga just to properly lay out the narrative. The countdown story is dead center in it. I put it chronologically into the early panels of Nightmare Asylum where Hicks,Wilks, Hicks is agonizing over the random transmissions out of Earth.

I'm reeeeally hoping Marvel republishes that story in a decent format in one of their upcoming collections, Den's art is really gorgeous in black & white.
There's a chance it might be in the marvel omnibus vol 2. Haven't confirmed it yet though.
I got lucky and nabbed a copy a few years back. Took me 10 years of searching to finally get a copy though. Totally worth it.

426Buddy

I have my aliens magazine copies, took me forever to find the part that is separate from the magazine. When I bought that issue originally I was so bummed when the countdown mini issue wasn't included. When I finally acquired it though,, it was totally worth it, beautiful art.

Engineer

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 03, 2021, 06:38:55 PM
I have my aliens magazine copies, took me forever to find the part that is separate from the magazine. When I bought that issue originally I was so bummed when the countdown mini issue wasn't included. When I finally acquired it though,, it was totally worth it, beautiful art.
The aliens magazine copy is the one I have too. Even luckier for me I got it, since I live in the US lol

426Buddy

Me too, rural northern Michigan here  :)

Had to buy the mini on ebay

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 03, 2021, 06:38:55 PMI have my aliens magazine copies, took me forever to find the part that is separate from the magazine. When I bought that issue originally I was so bummed when the countdown mini issue wasn't included.

Not only did I manage to get a copy of the issue with Countdown included, it still has the original cellophane belt that attaches it to the magazine.

f**king love Aliens mag.

Quote from: SpaceKase on Apr 02, 2021, 02:05:51 AMThe book is Crazy dense. I've been kinda looping the audio while doing chores and exercising and what not, it's taken quite a bit to lay it all out. Plus Alex is really good at dropping super revelatory tidbits and then immediately having a distraction pop up so both the character and us get caught up in the ensuing action and forget the subtle little thing that was just discovered or mentioned. It's good narrative sleight of hand.

No shit! I've read it three times and even on the third time I was twigging connections I hadn't made previously.

Engineer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 05, 2021, 06:44:53 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 03, 2021, 06:38:55 PMI have my aliens magazine copies, took me forever to find the part that is separate from the magazine. When I bought that issue originally I was so bummed when the countdown mini issue wasn't included.

Not only did I manage to get a copy of the issue with Countdown included, it still has the original cellophane belt that attaches it to the magazine.

f**king love Aliens mag.

Quote from: SpaceKase on Apr 02, 2021, 02:05:51 AMThe book is Crazy dense. I've been kinda looping the audio while doing chores and exercising and what not, it's taken quite a bit to lay it all out. Plus Alex is really good at dropping super revelatory tidbits and then immediately having a distraction pop up so both the character and us get caught up in the ensuing action and forget the subtle little thing that was just discovered or mentioned. It's good narrative sleight of hand.

No shit! I've read it three times and even on the third time I was twigging connections I hadn't made previously.

Geez! I'm feeling even luckier now! Mine still has the cellophane belt too! Lol

426Buddy

Mine are definitely not in good condition  :laugh: they're not horrible but a long way from mint.  Found most of them on mycomicshop.com between 2016-2018.

I have still never been able to find issue 22 though  :-\

My white whale lol

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed