This shot was left on the cutting room floor...

Started by Predatorium, Jun 15, 2024, 08:14:32 PM

Author
This shot was left on the cutting room floor... (Read 477 times)

Predatorium

Predatorium

The shot at 1:23 to 1:30 is just incredible. It's best shot of the Alien I've ever seen in the entire franchise. It's so menacing, incredible lighting.

MetalAlien

Quote from: Predatorium on Jun 15, 2024, 08:14:32 PMThe shot at 1:23 to 1:30 is just incredible. It's best shot of the Alien I've ever seen in the entire franchise. It's so menacing, incredible lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmGzYjJYvU4

She's a beaut alright... maybe they thought less is more or something like that.

BigDaddyJohn

Unfortunately the "guy in a suit" aspect stands out more here.

SM

Looks nice but the cutting gives way too much away.

AlienatedPredator

I like the Brett extended scene better.

MetalAlien

Well if SM doesn't like I've changed my mind, it must be good. Put it back in!

Local Trouble

SiL

Trim it a bit and there's a good menacing second or so that shows it off nicely.

PsyKore

The shot of it rising at 1:23 looks sick. But most everything else looks awkward. Stuff like this really reminds you how well they edited Alien.

Citixeno

I'm glad the footage was preserved because the original Alien is magnificent, and all good xenomorph variants ought to still look related to it.

But, from an editing standpoint, I think it fell under a "kill your darlings." Their logic was that there is more mystery in something that you don't really get a good look at. That said, I don't know if I completely agree with that logic anymore, or at least, I don't think that the storytelling tool of "don't give the audience a good look" is a tool that can be applied to every instance.

I'd definitely prefer to watch a version of Alien with that footage included, as well as the egg morphing scene. I don't mind it contradicting the Queen in A2, as in my mind, the Alien is unpredictable, and the A2 Queen was one of possibly many egg-creating variants. I like the idea that their radically advanced artificial intelligence blueprint (unlike our DNA) simply calculated she was the ideal variant for egg production in the environment of Hadley's Hope, with the particular amount of available hosts. But, in other environments with different numbers of hosts, we might see a completely different method of creating facehugger eggs, and in some situations, even they might be bypassed. - I prefer less hard rules on what variants and abilities the alien is capable of. 

Anyhow, back to the cut footage. I do see the logic of cutting down footage that lets us get such a clear look, but wow, it looked so cool there.

To me, the main reason a monster is scary is in so far as how much we care about the characters it affects.

That doesn't mean that the characters must be a paragon of virtue or anything like that, but they need to seem real enough to us that we empathize with them, enough to subconsciously want to see the character live. Look at Godzilla Minus one. We are very familiar with what he looks like, and some people see Kaiju as goofy and silly, but that movie made us care about the characters he affected, and so he was scary despite us getting plenty of good looks at him and being so familiar with him for the better part of a century.

Kradan

Even tho I like all the extra footage of the Alien I think majority of it was cut for a good reason because it "spoils the trick", so to speak.

Also, crab walk is goofy as shit

aliens13

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 16, 2024, 04:49:18 PMEven tho I like all the extra footage of the Alien I think majority of it was cut for a good reason because it "spoils the trick", so to speak.

Also, crab walk is goofy as shit
I remember watching the crab walk in the special features of the DVD when I was a kid, even then I was never a fan of it. Thanks Ridley for cutting it from the final film

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed