Watching Alien again...

Started by Local Trouble, Jun 14, 2024, 05:06:40 AM

Author
Watching Alien again... (Read 719 times)

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

^^^

This made me chuckle...

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 14, 2024, 04:52:37 PMI think we need a new video about this.

I keep procrastinating on the 2+ hour Alien 3 video I wanted to finish months ago, so sure. Why not.

MetalAlien

MetalAlien

Quote from: SM on Jun 14, 2024, 10:20:06 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 14, 2024, 04:52:37 PMI think we need a new video about this.

I keep procrastinating on the 2+ hour Alien 3 video I wanted to finish months ago, so sure. Why not.
You have a youtube channel? I wanna see!

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: BeeHooKoo on Jun 14, 2024, 06:04:42 AMThe whole bonus topic in the movie is a background thing. It's likely a holdover from some original sub-story that comes up a few times but is never fully told in the film. The importance of the bonuses to the characters must have originally been a motivating factor.

There is one important scene in the screenplay related to the bonuses that is left out of the movie.
In the scene, Dallas tries to offer Parker bonuses to get Parker to go into the ventilation duct. At that point, staying alive was more important to Parker than bonuses, so he refuses.
The bonuses in the movie are similar to the amount of oxygen on ship. In the novel and screenplay, the amount of oxygen on ship is central, in the film it is referred to, but that the importance is relatively small.

It is true that Parker's appeal to Dallas on the bonus issue is unnecessary, as Dallas has no authority to determine company-determined bonuses...or we do not know. In terms of the film's narrative, it is brought out in the scene as it is presented. The scene in the background may partially reflect the worker culture of the 1970s. Alien movie one the great richness is that it also reflects social themes in many respects.
It has sense, and I tell you why. I worked in an Mining company and it worked like that, if someone do extra work (or something that we called Bono Chimenea that it was a dangerous work and we got more paid if we do that) we have to talk we our supervisor to pass to his superior so you can get paid for doing that. In other words, Parker has to talk with his direct superior (in this case Dallas) to get paid, Parker doesn't talk with someone of the company, Dallas does. There's an procedure for all that

SM

SM

Parker's direct supervisor is Ripley.

But same deal.

BeeHooKoo

BeeHooKoo

Quote from: aliens13 on Jun 15, 2024, 02:45:53 AM
Quote from: BeeHooKoo on Jun 14, 2024, 06:04:42 AMThe whole bonus topic in the movie is a background thing. It's likely a holdover from some original sub-story that comes up a few times but is never fully told in the film. The importance of the bonuses to the characters must have originally been a motivating factor.

There is one important scene in the screenplay related to the bonuses that is left out of the movie.
In the scene, Dallas tries to offer Parker bonuses to get Parker to go into the ventilation duct. At that point, staying alive was more important to Parker than bonuses, so he refuses.
The bonuses in the movie are similar to the amount of oxygen on ship. In the novel and screenplay, the amount of oxygen on ship is central, in the film it is referred to, but that the importance is relatively small.

It is true that Parker's appeal to Dallas on the bonus issue is unnecessary, as Dallas has no authority to determine company-determined bonuses...or we do not know. In terms of the film's narrative, it is brought out in the scene as it is presented. The scene in the background may partially reflect the worker culture of the 1970s. Alien movie one the great richness is that it also reflects social themes in many respects.
It has sense, and I tell you why. I worked in an Mining company and it worked like that, if someone do extra work (or something that we called Bono Chimenea that it was a dangerous work and we got more paid if we do that) we have to talk we our supervisor to pass to his superior so you can get paid for doing that. In other words, Parker has to talk with his direct superior (in this case Dallas) to get paid, Parker doesn't talk with someone of the company, Dallas does. There's an procedure for all that
You may be right, on the other hand, none of us knows what kind of employment contract each Nostromo crew member has agreed to.
During my 35-year working career, I have always agreed on an employment contract with the company, and the contract determines the bonus arrangements. If my supervisor is not the person who owns the company, but he is is also employed by the company, cannot influence matters that I have agreed with the company, so it is pointless for me to discuss with my superior about matters over which he does not actually have power.
In some workplaces, my supervisor has been the CEO who owns the company, in which case the discussion about bonuses or salary has been fruitful.

In other words. No matter how much Parker complains about bonuses to Dallas...or Ripley, it's pointless. Ash brings this out well in the movie by emphasizing the content of the contract. Ash's and also Ripley's comment to C-deck Parker reinforces the crew's contract technical background.
But Parker generally complaining about it is another story. It adds richness to the depth of the film, and as I said before, it reflects the general work culture at the time the film was made.

SiL

SiL

You say we don't know the arrangement, then say it's pointless for Parker to talk to Dallas. If Parker and Brett are appealing to Dallas, it tells us he has the ability to help it happen.

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: SiL on Jun 15, 2024, 09:17:29 AMYou say we don't know the arrangement, then say it's pointless for Parker to talk to Dallas. If Parker and Brett are appealing to Dallas, it tells us he has the ability to help it happen.
Just like that, Parker and Brett doesn't talk with the company for their complaints. Their connection with the company it's Dallas, and him is the one who passes their complaints to the company and then the company can say yes or no to their request of the bonus situation. Damn, what an f*cking excellent movie

BeeHooKoo

BeeHooKoo

Quote from: SiL on Jun 15, 2024, 09:17:29 AMYou say we don't know the arrangement, then say it's pointless for Parker to talk to Dallas. If Parker and Brett are appealing to Dallas, it tells us he has the ability to help it happen.
Yes, I say so..or do we know what the conditions and contents are in, for example, Parker's employment contract? ..do you know? ..I think or know that no one knows because they were never really drawn up, they are a figment of the imagination like space travel at many times the speed of light, artificial gravity without centripetal force or, for example, flying like superman. To quote member "SM", these things are just "simply a given", in other words they have nothing to do with the real world.
Therefore, it is completely pointless and unnecessary to rationalize emotional or invented fictional things.

All I'm saying is what we can interpret in the movie in different events, what for example Ash and Ripley say about the content of employment contracts, bonus clauses and practices. My interpretation is that the bonus stuff for Parker and the other crews is recorded contractually and guaranteed by law, as Ripley emphasizes in the film.

SiL

SiL

It can be in a contract that a captain can make recommendations for bonuses. In not sure why we're treating having a contract and appealing to the captain as somehow mutually expressive.

SM

SM

I doubt Parker would keep harping on about it if there was no chance him and Brett couldn't get an increased share.

AlienatedPredator

AlienatedPredator

Nice bit of foreshadowing there when, regarding bonuses, Rip says to Parker "don't worry, you'll get what's coming to you".  ;D He sure did.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Funny how in the french dub they worsened what Parker says when he goes "son of a bitch" after Ripley leaves. Here it's coming across as "ahh f**k", but in french he says "ahh la petite putain", which means the little whore  :o

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed