Why Chest-Burster scenes are so hard to get right

Started by AlienatedPredator, Jun 06, 2024, 01:09:25 PM

Author
Why Chest-Burster scenes are so hard to get right (Read 1,744 times)

The Cruentus

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 06, 2024, 09:49:43 PMI always thought Rousseau reacted like someone who stubbed their toe.

That must have been a very painful toe stub based on how much she was screaming.

Keep in mind that the ADR there stands out a lot, so the re-dub by the actors is more noticeable.

Stitch

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jun 07, 2024, 11:19:47 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 06, 2024, 09:49:43 PMI always thought Rousseau reacted like someone who stubbed their toe.

That must have been a very painful toe stub based on how much she was screaming.

Keep in mind that the ADR there stands out a lot, so the re-dub by the actors is more noticeable.
Toe stubs can be bloody painful!

SM

Mon doigt de pied!!

Citixeno

I don't know if it's been brought up in this thread or not, but regardless of how strong a chest-burster is, it needs something to push off of. It doesn't have the kind of distance inside the soft body to build up momentum, so it is highly likely it needs to push off of the human spine, with a small possibility it is using the ribs along the back. The issue with the ribs, is that it might risk breaking through the back instead, as the rear is no stronger than the front. That leaves the spine as the structure rigid enough to allow it to push off to puncture the ribs.

So, the host isn't just feeling pain in the front of their chest and internal organs. They would also feel like something is attempting to break their back from the inside. I doubt it was something considered, but the way John Hurt moved made it believable that Kane had something hurting his back as well as his front. Not to mention the catastrophic internal organ damage.

SM

The novelisation for the first film says the internal organs had been neatly pushed aside and not damaged.

Citixeno

Quote from: SM on Jun 16, 2024, 10:46:39 PMThe novelisation for the first film says the internal organs had been neatly pushed aside and not damaged.

That's interesting, and would be necessary o keep the host alive while the burster is growing, but I'd still think they are getting wrecked on its way out.

BigDaddyJohn

Oh a lot of things are getting wrecked on the way out.

Citixeno

The worst part is the destruction of the host's favorite T-shirt.

SM

There's just ribcage and muscle to get through. There's no need to wreck any internal organs.

SiL

The organs were moved to make space for the Alien, but page 137 also says the Alien is "trailing pieces of Kane's insides". It's a violent, messy process.

AlienatedPredator

Quote from: SiL on Jun 17, 2024, 10:39:18 PMThe organs were moved to make space for the Alien, but page 137 also says the Alien is "trailing pieces of Kane's insides". It's a violent, messy process.

Which goes along with my theory that the teeth are involved a lot at first before the final bursting routine.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Jun 17, 2024, 10:39:18 PMThe organs were moved to make space for the Alien, but page 137 also says the Alien is "trailing pieces of Kane's insides". It's a violent, messy process.

And yet Dallas observation about the organs is after it's described as trailing pieces of insides.

Surely you're not suggesting ADF might have erred here are you?

Sarahlyn35

When Dan Bannon originally wrote the story, wasn't the burster a representation of how it felt to have Crohn's disease?

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jun 18, 2024, 04:38:53 PM

And yet Dallas observation about the organs is after it's described as trailing pieces of insides.

Surely you're not suggesting ADF might have erred here are you?
I'm not seeing the issue. The organs being pushed aside is only about how the thing fit in. The state of those organs isn't in Dallas' observation.

They can have been neatly pushed aside during gestation and been damaged in the birthing process.

SM

Doesn't read like that to me. The trailing insides could be flesh, muscle etc. rather than organs.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed