When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel?

Started by Daszkowski, Sep 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM

Author
When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel? (Read 72,210 times)

BishopShouldGo

How that much talent f**ked it up this bad, I know not.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Rudiger on Sep 30, 2017, 09:57:06 PM
Quote from: BonesawT101 on Sep 30, 2017, 08:01:24 PM
The way Covenant ends could potentially set up a sequel that would be a straight up alien rehash, the crew being trapped on the Covenant with David and his Aliens. But didn't some studio head say something to the effect of wanting to push the sequel in a new direction recently?

Found the quote I was thinking of, Fox CEO Stacey Snider-

"It was a disappointment, but I trust Ridley [Scott] and Emma [Watts] to know the right story when they find it. When universes are as rich as Alien they can stay in a too-familiar groove --- in which case you're in trouble --- but they can also find a planet or a storyline or a villain that also lives in that universe that can be groundbreaking."

Courtesy of cinema blend.

Two things have to happen. 1. The company must see the alien in action in order to want it for the bio-weapons division. 2. The derelict must come to hold its deadly cargo. This is the problem with prequels. We know where they are heading.

The first one they can just know that it's worth chasing rather than seeing it. The second one I think you've got to go further and show who set up the warning beacon. Personally I wouldn't be happy just seeing an Engineer load up some eggs and not see the results since........that puts us in the EXACT spot we were in before. We already know it crashes, where it crashes and we already know he dies.

If they run with the old derelict the whole plot should be - Why does it crash? Otherwise these movies have been a complete waste of time. If they don't run with the old derelict then they can do what they want.

windebieste

Quote from: Highland on Sep 30, 2017, 11:43:51 PM
If they run with the old derelict the whole plot should be - Why does it crash? Otherwise these movies have been a complete waste of time. If they don't run with the old derelict then they can do what they want.

How is it a waste of time?  What if the derelict is just a side incident of the greater story?  Like many a WW2 bomber was left lying in ruins during that conflict - but the war continued on to a conclusion regardless of the fate of such vehicles?

The derelict isn't Scott's end goal here.  This series is intended head into a different direction and the evens of the earlier movies will become a tangent - not the main storyline.

Scott says he can keep cranking these movies out.  Do you really believe they're all going to be sandwiched between the events of 'PROMETHEUS' and 'ALIEN'.  No.  Of course not.  We'll probably see the events leading up to the outcome that we know as the derelict on Acheron in the next movie and the movies will continue well beyond that.

It will turn out that Ripley's story runs parallel to the New Canon Scott is bringing to the Universe.

You're just not thinking Big enough.  Scott said 'Epic'.  There is a Grandness of Scale at play here that goes well beyond the limited perception that a rusting hulk lying in ruin is the End Goal.  It's not.

-Windebieste.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Sep 30, 2017, 11:21:09 PM
How that much talent f**ked it up this bad, I know not.

That's Hollywood for ya.

Whos_Nick

Someone stop Ridley

windebieste

Yay!  Ridley!  More 'ALIEN' from you is never too much.

YAAAAAYYYY!!!!1!!!

:)

-Windebieste.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: windebieste on Oct 01, 2017, 12:12:23 AM
Quote from: Highland on Sep 30, 2017, 11:43:51 PM

How is it a waste of time?  What if the derelict is just a side incident of the greater story?  Like many a WW2 bomber was left lying in ruins during that conflict - but the war continued on to a conclusion regardless of the fate of such vehicles?

The derelict isn't Scott's end goal here.  This series is intended head into a different direction and the evens of the earlier movies will become a tangent - not the main storyline.

Scott says he can keep cranking these movies out.  Do you really believe they're all going to be sandwiched between the events of 'PROMETHEUS' and 'ALIEN'.  No.  Of course not.  We'll probably see the events leading up to the outcome that we know as the derelict on Acheron in the next movie and the movies will continue well beyond that.

It will turn out that Ripley's story runs parallel to the New Canon Scott is bringing to the Universe.

You're just not thinking Big enough.  Scott said 'Epic'.  There is a Grandness of Scale at play here that goes well beyond the limited perception that a rusting hulk lying in ruin is the End Goal.  It's not.

-Windebieste.

Scott says himself these movies head into the backend of Alien. If you want to go off parallel to the Alien Universe, why not just go there straight off the bat? Any parallel universe certainly can't contain connection to WY, unless we ignore everything established in the original Franchise.

I guess the final point would be, what was the point of all of this if we didn't find out who the guy in the chair was.

Scott said he wanted to make the Alien Universe like the Star Wars Universe. I'd say up to this point he's failed at that. Depends what they do with Awakening.

This is what happens when you don't have a plan.

windebieste

What makes you think he doesn't have a plan? 

'ALIEN: Covenant' clearly ends on the intention of following through on a plan; and simply heading into the back end of 'ALIEN' certainly isn't the End Goal - but that even would tie everything together into a cohesive goal.  Scott is interested in going beyond that and a hard retcon or reboot isn't necessary.  At all.

I never said 'parallel ALIEN Universe'.  I said parallel narrative - one that co-exists with the established series not conflicting with it but rather enhancing it.  We may even witness occasional dovetailing into to the older series.  The discovery of why the derelict is on Acheron is a fine example.

What Scott says about 'ALIEN: Awakening' is subject to change, anyway.  He may never even take the path to tie this series into 'ALIEN'.  I personally think he will.  But it doesn't necessarily have to be spelled out for your approval, either.  He's already demonstrated he doesn't give a shit what some fans carry around as head canon for the past 30 years.  None of that was ever concrete, anyway. 

I'm really enjoying the ride Scott is taking us on.  This is all heading into interesting territory.  I want to see more.  I want to see Colonial Security Forces engaged in combat with Aliens once again.  I want to see the Engineers seek down David for some serious conflict.  I want to see how Scott will tie the Derelict into this current series and thus cement the entire ALIEN Universe together.  I also want to see what happens beyond those events in a series of movies that run parallel to the events of 'ALIENS' to 'ALIEN: Resurrection'.   None of that is mutually exclusive right now.  Importantly, it's going to take time and from the evidence we have seen won't be accomplished in a single movie. 

-Windebieste.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: windebieste on Oct 01, 2017, 03:00:39 AM

'ALIEN: Covenant' clearly ends on the intention of following through on a plan; and simply heading into the back end of 'ALIEN' certainly isn't the End Goal - but that even would tie everything together into a cohesive goal.  Scott is interested in going beyond that and a hard retcon or reboot isn't necessary.  At all.

I never said 'parallel ALIEN Universe'.  I said parallel narrative - one that co-exists with the established series not conflicting with it but rather enhancing it.  We may even witness occasional dovetailing into to the older series.  The discovery of why the derelict is on Acheron is a fine example.

What Scott says about 'ALIEN: Awakening' is subject to change, anyway.  He may never even take the path to tie this series into 'ALIEN'.  I personally think he will.  But it doesn't necessarily have to be spelled out for your approval, either.  He's already demonstrated he doesn't give a shit what some fans carry around as head canon for the past 30 years.  None of that was ever concrete, anyway. 

I'm really enjoying the ride Scott is taking us on.  This is all heading into interesting territory.  I want to see more.  I want to see Colonial Security Forces engaged in combat with Aliens once again.  I want to see the Engineers seek down David for some serious conflict.  I want to see how Scott will tie the Derelict into this current series and thus cement the entire ALIEN Universe together.  I also want to see what happens beyond those events in a series of movies that run parallel to the events of 'ALIENS' to 'ALIEN: Resurrection'.   None of that is mutually exclusive right now.  Importantly, it's going to take time and from the evidence we have seen won't be accomplished in a single movie. 

-Windebieste.

Because his plan was over written by the studios decision not to continue with the Prometheus storyline ( which never contained Aliens).

Honestly I've never had a head Canon, I was quite happy not knowing. The one we got I feel doesn't enhance the originals or even compliment them all that well, although unlike some fans they don't and will never ruin my enjoyment of the originals, bar some slight thoughts about the Alien.

Having a big war/cross over with Engineers, David and Aliens doesn't seem to fit the timeline all that well, considering by the time we hit later movies in the Franchise they all imply that the Alien is all but extinct. Unless we do an AVPR and somehow have an intergalactic war without anybody noticing.

If they want to completely ignore all of that and we have some other way of going off into another series, then some clever writing could possibly do it.

I don't trust the studio though to handle any of this very well, they don't have a good track record and Scott seems to hold enough cards that they can't just be free of his version.

skhellter

skhellter

There's thematic things that i like about Alien Covenant that actually fit really well with the series.

David's bitterness towards Weyland and his human masters
runs parallel to
Ripley's anger towards the Company.
And Weyland(person)+TheCompany are both inhumane examples of capitalism run rampant.

Crew Expendable/Putting a Colony in danger, etc..

Alien 1979 is now a film about a group of people trying to fight a monster that was created to
destroy them AND the inhumane Company that put them all in danger in the first place.

The Alien is now literally a byproduct of the Company's callousness towards human (and android) life..
coming back through the stars to bite them all in the ass.  :laugh:

PierreVW

Quote from: Highland on Oct 01, 2017, 03:52:59 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Oct 01, 2017, 03:00:39 AM

-Windebieste.

Because his plan was over written by the studios decision not to continue with the Prometheus storyline ( which never contained Aliens).

Honestly I've never had a head Canon, I was quite happy not knowing. The one we got I feel doesn't enhance the originals or even compliment them all that well, although unlike some fans they don't and will never ruin my enjoyment of the originals, bar some slight thoughts about the Alien.

Having a big war/cross over with Engineers, David and Aliens doesn't seem to fit the timeline all that well, considering by the time we hit later movies in the Franchise they all imply that the Alien is all but extinct. Unless we do an AVPR and somehow have an intergalactic war without anybody noticing.

If they want to completely ignore all of that and we have some other way of going off into another series, then some clever writing could possibly do it.

I don't trust the studio though to handle any of this very well, they don't have a good track record and Scott seems to hold enough cards that they can't just be free of his version.

To be precise: The new Star Wars doesn't have a plan either.

Rian Johnson changed all of the script of VIII.

And J.J. said that he keep changing the original script in VII.

Finally, some of the classics never had a plan or a script: Casablanca, Gladiator, Blade Runner, etc....

Highland

...and the new Star Wars sucks. So I've still got a point.

SM

Star Wars has a story group who've mapped everything out.

How did the other films not have scripts or plans?  They all did.  Changing things as you go along happens on a lot of films.  Doesn't mean there isn't a plan.

Highland

I think they did change jedi quite a bit, although the bones of it were still there. Feels like with these Alien prequels there's not even the bones. Tough to tell Scott might have had all this mapped out then the studio took a big dump on it.

SM

I think Ridley had an idea where he wanted it to go (rather than having a plan fully mapped out) and probably shared this with various writers.  However, Fox was also trying to cater to a section of the audience who wanted the Aliens back, and thought they could have the best of both worlds.

I'm only guessing but I think in terms of Star Wars and Marvel, Disney says 'the characters are here and we want to get them there; we also need to set up x and y; and here's some other things you can and can't do'.  The writers and directors then fill in the blanks according to those guidelines.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed