Alien: Vault gets re-release with new content

Started by Engineer, May 01, 2019, 03:09:05 AM

Author
Alien: Vault gets re-release with new content (Read 8,306 times)

Corporal Hicks

I always enjoyed the original. Too early to say about the new edition.

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: Darkness on May 01, 2019, 03:14:47 PM
I've been after this for a while, almost got it on ebay a couple of times. Glad I held off.

The irony is astounding. Just bought it on ebay for £10. Couldn't resist at that price.

SM

Quote from: blah on May 03, 2019, 03:01:10 AM
is it worth buying?

I got mine on sale.  If you've endlessly watched the BTS docos on DVD or Blu-Ray, you'll learn little new information and it's a lot of money for some very nice inserts.

Corporal Hicks

I always enjoyed this one because I found it a bit more personal.

Darkness

Well, I read the book through. It's alright - probably prefer Alien The Archive as it's more complete. But the pull-outs were quite nice, not something you really see in books.

One thing that annoyed me is the spelling mistakes. He spelt Veronica Cartwright's name wrong all the way through as well as the Strauses. Alien The Archive had a few too. Pretty amateurish for a published book. All they needed to do was give it to a fan to proof read first.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, I agree with SM on this one, plus I'm sure they'll revise it again once the prequels are finished.

Elmazalman

Disappointing book. Remarkably mediocre and definitely not the final word (or book) on the subject.

The bonus inserts are nice but don't compensate for the book's lack of revelatory content.

426Buddy

I have the archive and wasn't overly impressed with that so I definitly won't be getting this.

Elmazalman

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 16, 2019, 07:59:13 PM
I have the archive and wasn't overly impressed with that so I definitly won't be getting this.
The soon-to-be-published J.W. Rinzler book and the Bob Penn production stills book are what I'm waiting on.

I didn't think much of the Archive book; the images were mostly a rehash of the DVD Photo Galleries.

When it comes to literature on the ALIEN films, I almost always confine myself to the original film only.

The Old One

The Old One

I'm the same way, apart from the big Prometheus Artbook, David's Drawings and Alien The Special Effects, covering the first three films.

Elmazalman

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 17, 2019, 04:30:25 AM
I'm the same way, apart from the big Prometheus Artbook, David's Drawings and Alien The Special Effects, covering the first three films.
The Cinefex book is great! All three ALIEN films in one volume.
I never knew that a full-sized, articulated dummy was cast from actor, Tom Skerritt; for a (deleted) shot of Captain Dallas's immolation by incinerator unit.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 16, 2019, 07:59:13 PM

I was really underwhelmed by that too. Don't think it said anything on the first three films I hadn't already heard a couple of times over.

The section on Resurrection was decent though. Actually had some bits of info in I hadn't heard before, probably because the fourth film is generally so under-represented in terms of behind-the-scenes stuff.

HuDaFuK

Just bagged a copy of the original on eBay, all inserts included. I know it's getting a re-release imminently, but this was all but brand new and less than half the price of the new edition, plus it doesn't sound like the added stuff on the prequels will be terribly substantial and I'm not particularly bothered by them anyway.

The Old One

The Old One

I entirely support your decision, the Prequel story isn't even finished.

Prez

Contemplating getting this book finally. Had the original on pre-order a couple of years ago only to be let down by the distributor (got a full refund).

Interesting that of all the Alien books I own the one I revisit the most is the Art of Alien Isolation book. It's just superb and this is coming from someone who although admires the game has only really played it for a few minutes (because my nerves can't take that kind of intensity these days).

I might get this updated Vault edition though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed