Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 676,215 times)

xenomorph36

xenomorph36

Before you start voting, i want you to give an HONEST opinion about how you felt about both of the movies and i want you to vote which movie you thought was a better film in terms of quality.

this means acting, visual, script, direction, and etc.

What i mean is what did u think was better movie as a whole.

For those who have not seen the movie please do not vote until you actually see the film.

I am very aware that making threads like this is almost stupid because many of the ppl here on this board probably have joined BECAUSE of the upcomming sequal avpr(which means that there are a lot more fan base towards avpr).

It is safe to say that most (not all) of you people are blind-eyed or deaf and will forcefully enjoy the movie regardless of how bad each of the film was.

i my self thought avp was an "ok" movie when i first saw it. However when i saw it the second time i realized how tedious the movie was. The reason why i felt this was because i couldnt sit through the whole film when i saw it the second time.

Usually if a movie is above average you can actually see the same movie more than once and enjoy it. AVP was not the case for me.

I will honestly say that i did not see the movie as of yet. However although i will not vote until i see the movie , i can safely assume that i will dislike avpr more than avp simply because of what i 'm hearing both fan and critics.

I know that i only post 2~3 times a day and most of you do not really know me very well. However i am not one of those ppl who will like anything they give just because i am a fan of the previous film.

I major animation and i've been learning a lot of cinematography, story, and etc, which made my vision slightly more above others in terms of viewing and criticizing movies.

So in conclusion, although i can safely assume that most of the people on this board will vote that avpr was INFACT better than the previous film (because most of the people here are under 19, [i'm not saying everyone below 19 are immature just saying in general<i've seen few who are below 19 who were capable of viewing in more broader picture>]) but i still would like to know how every one feels in general.

:)

Sheriff Eddie Morales

Sheriff Eddie Morales

I voted for AvP R.
I think AvP R is more good than AvP.
But anyways...AvP was good too.

Demonio Cazador

Demonio Cazador

Well...
AVP had a better, or should I say more "creative" setting and enviroment, good SFX, terrible creature design and terrible acting and pacing.
AVP:R is more faithful to the original concept of Aliens and Predator, but terrible setting and so-so acting...creature design is greatly improved.
I think AVP is more enjoyable for the concept,
and AVP:R for the actual film...
Both have lots of flaws, and personally I enjoyed AVP:R better...

Hudson

Hudson

AvP was better paced, had better acting, and was overall a lot more coherent.  AvP R was more of a movie for the fans, had more of the right atmosphere, and was more fun to watch.  Both movies are still pretty frustrating.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Ok, here are my honest opinions for both films

AVP
I hated everything about AVP..the preds, the alien velociraptors. How big the queen was, the acting was sh**, preds were sh**. Movies was too short, 10 minute gestation period for Aliens. LEX, the Scar/Lex scene....the ending was good (pred-alien)

AVPR
was too short, not enough chraacter development but better than AVP's. Predator was amazing to see again the way he was so many damn years ago. Hate the multiple chestburster thing along with the powerglove, and plasma pistol. Othe rthan that the pred was great. Aliens were sh** in this movie on hwo they looked but otherwise were good. This movie actually made me forget how much I ahted the pred-alien design. I liked the Pizza Boy and was thankful that he wasn't how I thought he would be. Hate the pool scene, hate the part where he goes to deliver the pizza. I love the alien and pred fights, short but satisfying. Hated the ending but the ending after the ending gives a gauranteed hint at a sequel, Other than all of this i thought this film was great and everything that AVP wasn't.

So in the end I go for AvPR

Hudson

Hudson

If you hate AvP, why would you complain that it's too short?   ::)

gameoverman

gameoverman

It's a little hard to choose because both have some elements that the other doesn't have or does better.

AVP

-Aliens looked better and were portrayed better.
-Was better paced.
-Better story.
-Better characters/actors.
-Better dialogue (well the actors delivered them more convincingly, anyway)
-Better setting - the underground pyramid was fantastic (and based on an original idea for Alien and the designs in the predator spacecraft).
-Better visual effects (courtesy John Bruno).
-Longer fights (Celtic Vs Grid and Queen Vs Scar were major setpieces).

AVPR

-Action more intense and frequent but shorter - you see more of aliens and predators.
-Predator looked and acted more like the originals.
-Better score.
-More violent and hardcore - not watered down like AVP.
-Original sound effects (it was great to hear the predator sounds again).
-Predator homeworld looked good.
-Opening 5 minutes was epic - then it all went downhill with the bad script and terrible pacing.

So yeah, AVP does have a slight edge.

Weasel

Weasel

I can't see how people take Scar/Lex almost making out over bad pacing.

Alan Dutch Schaefer

Alan Dutch Schaefer

dude there is no question to this! its gonna be AVPR!

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

The one good thing I will say about Paul Anderson is that he seemed to have a fairly original vision for what he wanted for his movie.  Maybe not original if you've read a lot of the comics since he did take a lot of inspiration from them but I do believe he was trying to make his film unique when compared to the previous movies.

Can't say the same for the bros and AVP-R.  Watching a lot of AVP-R is like watching fans acting out their favourite movie scenes... badly.  There are so many scenes, lines, actions etc. which you can clearly identify as being recycled from previous movies... just not as good.  I really can't understand which direction the bros were going with this.  It feels like they made the movie to appeal to the lowest common denominator. probably due to pressure from Fox to make as much a profit as possible from the small budget.  However the realised that the fans were never going to accept this so they just crammed in as many homages as possible in an attempt to keep the fanbase happy.  Unfortunately the homages were a little too ham fisted for my tastes so that didn't work.

At the end of the day AVP-R has more violence, more gore and more action... but the acting, plot and especially the pacing are even WORSE than AVP.  As far as I'm concerned, both films are as bad as eachother.

Weasel

Weasel

I still can't cancel out factors of pacing and bad acting against:

Worse Acting
Fatty, crappy preds.
Scar/Lex almost kissing
Tyrannosaurs Queen
10 min chestbursting
A crappy lead
A alien sitting there and dying on the end of a stick
No gore

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

Quotethis means acting, visual, script, direction, and etc.

Acting: Lance Henriksen saved AVP; AVP: R had no such savior.
Visuals: AVP's SFX shots were nice if only because you were waiting for them for some time; AVP: R had many, but none of which resonated.
Script: Even AVP: R can't quite top the absurdity of teenage Predators teaming up with humans.
Direction: Hate to say it, but Anderson did better.

Alan Dutch Schaefer

Alan Dutch Schaefer

one thing i have to about Paul Anderson is that he read the original comics because the predators did befriend a woman and helped the humans. they also tore off a finger on an alien and made a scar symbol on the forehead

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: Weasel on Dec 27, 2007, 02:07:46 AM
I still can't cancel out factors of pacing and bad acting against:

Worse Acting

AVP dialogue was like Shakespeare compared to AVPR.  Plus, like Chibi mentioned, it had Lance.

QuoteFatty, crappy preds.

Agree - at least the predators looked better this time around.

QuoteScar/Lex almost kissing

At least it got a lot of female fans into the franchise.  :P

QuoteTyrannosaurs Queen

Way better than the predalien.

Quote10 min chestbursting

As opposed to maybe an hour?

QuoteA crappy lead

AVPR didn't even have a lead.  And Sanaa at least had some charisma and character.  Not what I can say for any of the people in AVPR.

QuoteA alien sitting there and dying on the end of a stick

As opposed to aliens getting manhandled by Wolf left right and centre?

QuoteNo gore

Gore does not a good movie make.

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

They both sucked.

But at least Anderson's Aliens were not useless and didn't look like men-in-suits from beginning to end.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed