PROMETHEUS 2 Writer, Jack Paglen's TRANCENDENCE in theaters now...

Started by CainsSon, Apr 18, 2014, 07:14:25 AM

Author
PROMETHEUS 2 Writer, Jack Paglen's TRANCENDENCE in theaters now... (Read 5,377 times)

CainsSon

CainsSon

It doesn't surprise me at all that Jack Paglen was hired to pen PROMETHEUS 2 after watching TRANSCENDENCE.

In some ways Paglen's script has both convinced me that he should be able to flesh out the characters and dialogue and make PROMETHEUS 2 all the better for doing so. There are some interesting 'freak-out' moments (even if the director Wally Pfiser didnt handle them too well) and I can see how that combined with the threads already aligned at the end of PROMETHEUS, will make for some interesting sci-fi. Honestly, TRANSCENDENCE, the film was rather disappointing, and much less exciting than it wants to be, nor thrilling and scary. However, I also got the impression it was held back by its rating. I have the script and it read better than the film was executed.

The religious themes, God/creator stuff is quite prominent in Jack Paglen's mind. It's VERY easy to see how the themes of TRANSCENDENCE could be applied by the same writer to an PROMETHEUS story.

That might make it of some interest to ALIEN fans...NOW. Since, we know Michael Green is currently re-drafting Paglen's script. After seeing the flaws in TRANSCENDENCE, I'm half glad he wrote P2 because I think the first PROMETHEUS needed to be fleshed out like Paglen's script was (if not a bit too fleshed out). That said, I'm also no longer worried about there being current re-writes to make Paglen's script more exciting...even if I believe the writing wasn't the problem with TRANSCENDENCE. The script is good (if not derivative and talky). It was most likely dulled down by Production and Pfiser's inexperience with actors/ building tension. It has a great deal of style though. The effects and cinematography were something. Its almost ironic that it has a lot of the same flaws as PROMETHEUS.... Which is a much better film.

Anyway,.. seen TRANSCENDENCE?... Thoughts?

Xenomorphine

According to this review, the writing seems to suffer from turning towards more predictable elements:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67005

Infected

Dont get your hopes up for Jack.

wmmvrrvrrmm

Transcendence looks like a film that probably started out as eXistenZ fan fiction to me

whiterabbit

I heard this movie sucked from people I know who saw it over the weekend. So meh, probably skipping it myself.

Infected

Anybody knows what the budget is for Prometheus 2?

Corporal Hicks

I went to see this move to see what Paglen's work was like...did not enjoy. At all. Boring, thought it was smarter than it was, went no-where.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 24, 2014, 06:13:32 PM
I went to see this move to see what Paglen's work was like...did not enjoy. At all. Boring, thought it was smarter than it was, went no-where.

The script is being re-written so. We'll see, I wouldn't pre-emptively judge Prometheus 2 based on this.

Rong

I enjoyed Trancendence, I've read both the script and seen the movie now, thematically Plagen does a good job with what's there and it lines up with the themes presented in Prometheus, the main one being the hubris of humanity.

All the reviews saying that trancendence doesn't follow it's own logic points out the stupidity of the reviewers.

My wife also thought the film was boring, and I can understand the complaint, it's shot in a muted way, and is heavy on dialogue, in ways it reminds of scifi from the 60's and 70's.

I'm interested in what Plagen can bring to David and the Engineers as a writer, he did a great job with the ai in Trancendence in my opinion.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 24, 2014, 06:13:32 PMI went to see this move to see what Paglen's work was like...did not enjoy. At all. Boring, thought it was smarter than it was, went no-where.

He's the right man for the job then. :P

maledoro

Every Lindelof has his Paglen.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 03, 2014, 12:52:03 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 24, 2014, 06:13:32 PMI went to see this move to see what Paglen's work was like...did not enjoy. At all. Boring, thought it was smarter than it was, went no-where.

He's the right man for the job then. :P

And that's what I'm worried about.  :-\

Infected

The thing that was missing in Prometheus was the story of the engineer and the depth of the race/character.
The thing that made Alien so interesting and mysterious in the beginning was the undefined jockey and ship.
They should have worked that out better in Prometheus, but instead the mystery wasnt there nor was the story about the engineers.
So i hope they move more into that in part 2 but then again you need someone with a vision like Giger to co-operate.
Just heard he will work on a Battlestar reboot, while the last BSG to me was just pure awesomeness.

Rong

You seen giger lately... He ain't fit for it.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Infected on May 07, 2014, 12:07:24 PMThe thing that was missing in Prometheus was the story of the engineer and the depth of the race/character.

None of that was missing. The engineers have no story or depth. The Space Jockey was a red-herring. The Alien is arbitrary. Suck it up. :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed