So, whats the connection between the Engineers and the aliens in this game?

Started by bobby brown, Apr 29, 2021, 09:47:41 AM

Author
So, whats the connection between the Engineers and the aliens in this game? (Read 13,835 times)

bobby brown

Think about it.

Since this game also incorporates the lore from the new films, Like for instance, how David created the aliens on planet 4 like 100 years earlier, What relationship will they have with each other?

[cancerblack]

Solid chance you've thought about it more than they have tbh.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: bobby brown on Apr 29, 2021, 09:47:41 AM
Think about it.

Since this game also incorporates the lore from the new films, Like for instance, how David created the aliens on planet 4 like 100 years earlier, What relationship will they have with each other?
I'm pretty sure this game completely ignore the shitty "David made aliens" stuff, instead going with the original "David only copied the aliens", as it should

BlueMarsalis79

PAS Spinelli

David created the worst retcon in history

BlueMarsalis79

Nightmare Asylum

Maybe every Alien-infested site that we visit has a flute that David left behind as his calling card.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 05, 2021, 11:51:04 PM
Maybe every Alien-infested site that we visit has a flute that David left behind as his calling card.
only if there is a fingered android next to it

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on May 06, 2021, 12:13:41 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 05, 2021, 11:51:04 PM
only if there is a fingered android next to it

That'd be cool.

Evanus

Doubt they have any intention of defying film canon, as it stands David made the alien. They'll probably ignore it for the most part.

PAS Spinelli

Film canon is messy and nonsensical lol

BlueMarsalis79

Agree to disagree, so far anyway, it is fairly consistent.

Drukathi

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on May 05, 2021, 09:47:40 PM

What the retcon? Retcon implies a change of knowledge. But we have no knowledge of the Alien origin before Covenant.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'd give PAS Spinelli a pass here and say that the revelation that David created the Alien is a retcon, since in the original film the Derelict and its cargo of eggs were intended to have been ancient at the time. Covenant's new revelation on the origin of the Alien that shifts their creation to a more recent event that David is now responsible for is a retcon that I find to be fascinating both in Covenant itself and in the way its implications ripple through the other films.

As for "film canon being messy and nonsensical," I don't really mind when things don't gel 100% in a franchise I follow. Creators' ideas change (and in the case of this franchise, we've now seen multiple creators with their own ideas come and go); the Alien movies have never been a true ongoing narrative. Each movie is, essentially, a standalone outing that says what it wants to say and moves on. Alien 3 had to concoct a nonsensical way to continue on after Aliens. Alien: Resurrection had to do the same to Alien 3. Prometheus and Alien: Covenant shifted the trajectory of the story to a more mythological exploration of creators and their creations (and even in the isolated case of these two movies, Ridley changed his mind about certain ideas from Prometheus when he started working on Covenant). Hawley's show will likely find its own path and alter core ideas we hold about the franchise again. An ongoing series like this with multiple creators that shifts focus or prerogative or muddies the "canon" in attempt to do something interesting doesn't bother me in the slightest; I'd rather see them keep taking big swings, even if there are some that don't quite land. I'm much more interested in stories (even stories within franchise filmmaking) as individual artistic interpretations than I am in them as points on some arbitrary, fictional timeline.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Drukathi on May 06, 2021, 08:10:26 AM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on May 05, 2021, 09:47:40 PM

What the retcon? Retcon implies a change of knowledge. But we have no knowledge of the Alien origin before Covenant.
Ah, you mean the deleric ship with a fossilized pilot only being there for less than 20 years? even tho it was always implied to be there for centuries? aight

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed