Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced!

Started by alienscollection.com, May 10, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced! (Read 108,246 times)

Engineer

I always thought of the borg as being heavily inspired by aliens, but with the 'mechanical' in 'biomechanical' being much more promenant. It's not a ripoff persay, but "inspired by" for sure...

... is that what you're talking about Mr. Clemens? Or was there a different alien that appeared in the show which was a more direct ripoff?

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Engineer on Apr 09, 2017, 10:36:02 PM
I always thought of the borg as being heavily inspired by aliens, but with the 'mechanical' in 'biomechanical' being much more promenant. It's not a ripoff persay, but "inspired by" for sure...

... is that what you're talking about Mr. Clemens? Or was there a different alien that appeared in the show which was a more direct ripoff?

There was this multi-legged critter that got inside the bodies of the heads of Starfleet in Season 1. It was an alien parasite, but it also controlled their minds. Then when they phasered the main host, his flesh exploded away and there was a 'queen version' living inside his exposed ribcage. Cheese-o-rama.  :D

I know what you mean about the Borg, though - in particular, there was this repeated piece of wall-panel scenery inside their cube that struck me as very Gigery!

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Apr 09, 2017, 10:17:50 PM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Apr 09, 2017, 09:47:08 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Apr 09, 2017, 09:36:59 PM
Whatever the explanation, it makes things feel kinda 'Star Trek'.

Spoiler
Mr. Clemens, drink your Arcturian coffee you unpredictable space doctor!
[close]

You mentioning the Star Trek feel, it reminds me of these guys who are basically Star Trek's very own Engineers - http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient_humanoid

Ah, I remember those guys. Good episode.

I should say that I do like Star Trek, but I feel that it and Alien should stay far away from each other. Anybody remember that Season 1 TNG 'Alien' rip-off episode? Yikes...  :-X

I also like Star Trek but haven't watched much of the older ones, which episode is this TNG Alien one?

Speaking of rip offs, Voyager had the Predator like Hirogen and the Alien like Species-8472, and they even fought in one episode and it had that AvP feel to it.  :P

What I like about the Alien and Predator franchise is that it treats space as vast and empty no matter how many civilisations dot the galaxy. Everyone's on their own and in their corners.

I highly doubt humans are the Engineer's only humanoid creations, and more were likely seeded far away from us for whatever purposes. I like to picture these other humanoids as vastly different, probably even making very alien sounds that we can't imitate and having very different thought processes beyond our comprehension.

If there's ever any kind of first contact shown in the franchise, I want it to be awkward and difficult, no cliche shaking hands or hugs or universal translators, just lots of shaky pointing and confused shrugging.  :laugh:

We got lucky with the Engineers as their language had a presence in our ancient ones. Now wish us luck in trying to negotiate something with the Predators before we all get violently slaughtered.  ;D

Ultramorph

What is Abnett's story about?

SM

QuoteI also like Star Trek but haven't watched much of the older ones, which episode is this TNG Alien one?

Conspiracy.  I quite liked that episode, but I don't think it was well received and the open ended conclusion was never followed up on.

Corporal Hicks

There's a good portion of the fan production Star Trek Excelsior that follows up on that. Was pretty cool.

TheDerelict

Won't go into spoilers for you ultramorph but Abnetts story is about a small section of colonial marines that take a drop ship down to a massive harvester machine that has a crew of 80 odd but has gone dark and weyland yutani want it checked out. It all takes place during a massive storm. It's good, they are all short and sharp stories about 20 pages long. And not all about Xenomorphs.

TheBATMAN

There's also another one about Burke having a dream whilst being cocooned in Aliens.

HuDaFuK

Hah, neat.

Engineer

And none of this is "canon"??

Makes me wonder if fox has the stance that nothing is canon until they see what sort of fan feedback they get first... a lesson learned after A:CM, perhaps...

SM

Some is canon; some isn't. 

Engineer

Oh I see lol

Russ840

Is there a list of what is and isn't ? Lol

TheBATMAN

Well the first story is absolutely awful. Abnett's is a marked improvement.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 07, 2017, 02:12:42 AMLet us know what you think after you read it. :)

A tad off-topic, but I'm going through the rule book now and really enjoying it. Not sure how well it fits with the films but I like the world it's building. Got a kick out of finding Pandora and Arcturus in the star map :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed