Opinions on Extinction?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 12, 2006, 10:45:46 AM

Author
Opinions on Extinction? (Read 60,516 times)

Alien Drone 531

Alien Drone 531

I think the game kicked major ass!

Xeno-Wolf

Xeno-Wolf

Well, I bought it shortly after I got my Xbox...back in 2003/4

...The intro really set the mood - what an amazing piece of CGI. Very impressed.
It was one of those things you just 'had to show to your friends.' : )

The game itself was fun to play...and some levels were immensely enjoyable.
(And my God, the last mission for the Marines was a b*tch!)

It could have done with a skirmish mode and a map editor...that would have so increased the game's overall life.

But the ONE thing that really left a sour taste in my mouth - was the end of each campaign.
No amazing CGI animation like the intro (which I was somewhat led to expect...) for completing the campaigns...that was bad.

Some great ideas - and I think all the campaigns were uniquely fun to play in their own right.
I'd like to hope they make another one similar (i'm VERY interested about the aliens RPG and first person shooter game that Sega have announced)...but based on the fact that most people consider 'Extinction' to be 'toilet' - I doubt this will happen.

Nonetheless, I remain ever hopeful.

Master Ravager

Master Ravager

like many have said, the game was awesome! it could have used some multiplayer, map editors, and maybe character coloring panel (???) anyways, this is why i am rooting for a sequel

Scarface Predator

Scarface Predator

^ I agree, multiplayer all the way.

Flaming Firefox

Flaming Firefox

I loved it!  ;D I don't think the campaigns were long enough to buy it new, I bought my copy used. But that being said it is incredibly fun. Aliens rock in it! I love making a huge hive of mixed aliens.  8)

Amaymyon666

Amaymyon666

I got this game the week it was released, and I must say at first i was confused with how i felt towards it... I thought and still think to this day that the intro was amazing, The balance between each race was pretty good too.. My first thought at playing as the alien was that it would be to difficult but as i got on with it, i found that they were without a doubt the SICKEST race to use... I do got some complaints about this game... First NO MUTIPLAYER??? NO ONLINE?? This should DEF been in it.. I mean come on it is a RTS game... It would be better on PC... and where were the Endings for completing the game with each race??? There was nothing... all you do is go back to the main menu... I did hear that the game was really really rushed at the last minute so this could be why... Since then my opinions towards this game changed.. I play it alot now... I cannot wait for the first person shooter Aliens game coming soon and the Alien RPG i heard about...

Flaming Firefox

Flaming Firefox

I really like the game. But one thing that really hacked me off in this game was that the AI especially for the marines is horrendous. You can't take a large group of marines and tell them to go to a point on the map because half the time they split up and go in all sorts of directions. I've had guys go completely opposite directions and try to take the longest route possible to a waypoint sometimes they try to take paths that have no openings to the waypoint. It is super annoying to find your guys all killed just because the AI screwed up.

Bone Crusher

Bone Crusher

Loved it  ;D should have skirmish and possibly multiplayer :'(

DARIAS93

DARIAS93

Love this game I wish their making a part two of the game.

DB

DB

Just replayed Extinction a few days ago.

Found it somewhat mediocre and the class designs for the species confused me.

Ran around a bit and tried thinking of how I'd rework the existing Extinction mechanic...

Aliens:

For the Aliens it seems pretty daft to have the caste classes determined by host. Especially considering you can't control what hosts are available in an area. That's just stupid biologically. What if I only have oswocs near me? My hive is doomed as it's filled with combat inefficient Drones.

That needs to be scrapped.

The Aliens should be divided into several categories within Transbreed type. These categories belong to physical castes. Within these castes the Aliens can vary a little depending on host. However, they still maintain similarities in combat efficiency and role. The Alien caste should be determined by spending points on eggs (somewhat like with Praetorians, except the facehugger is the same).

Transbreed:

Workers - The same as the Drone class in the game. They are small, albino Aliens with no armor and physical weakness. Upgrades result in acid spit and the cysts. Creating Workers takes no points at all.

Soldiers - Based on the Warrior class in AvP:E. Pretty good for everything - they explode when killed in an acid shower. Upgrades are the same as in the game. They can revive when not burned, have better weapons, etc.

Scout - Based on Runner class. Very low health and strength, but extreme speed and senses, super fast health regen outside of hive. Have a leaping attack. Upgrades are the same: poison. All Aliens are quadropedal, regardless of host.

Host Variation:

Different hosts cause slight variations in all of the Aliens above mentioned.

Humans - The Aliens like we see in the films. They are good in all stats, but excel in none.

Oswocs - Bulkier and slightly slower Aliens that have more health. Born Aliens are mostly quadropedal, but can walk bipedally at will (except Runner).

Kurns  + Kriltics - Smaller Aliens with less health and slightly increased speed. Prefer quadropedal movement but can become bipedal at will.

Predators - As the hardest species to get hosts from, Aliens born from them have an extra bonus.

-Superior to all other hosts in all categories. Better health, speed, and attack power. Aliens are slightly bigger and have mandibles (dreadlocks?).
-A special upgrade allows Predator born Aliens to gain XP and become more powerful.

The Predators are also kind-of iffy, as you have these retard Predators that only use a single weapon despite the portability of all their equipment, and these military Predators that are so powerful that you don't need the others, you can just spam the military types.

IMO, the Predators should be less class based than the other species.

The Predators could have different classes with different abilities with weapons, but generally speaking Predators should all have long range weapons + melee weapons.

The Predators should be based on XP - you use points to bring a Predator into the hunt, and this Pred starts at level 1. As he fights he gains XP with his weapons and earns points towards upgrades for HIS weapons. Increasing a level allows a Predator to do more damage with his weapons (implying greater skill/accuracy with their usage).

I'm unsure of what I think of the Shrine. It feels somewhat different to the other species who all revolve around one member of their species - but I honestly think some sort of Elder or hunt Overseer or whatever you want to call it could be preferable.

This overseer would essentially be a Predator with full XP, the most advanced weapons, and a Predator with access to the ship, whom can give permission to other Predators to join the hunt.

In terms of classes I guess you could have Predators that are better with some weapons and worse with others, and whose arsenal varies.

You could have a "crowd control" class that has a Smart Disc, Dual Shoulder Cannos (fire weaker shots are more targets?) and the Combistick.

A melee class - that is at his best with wristblades, combistick, and starts with whatever other melee weapons you could have, and only has a standard shoulder cannon for long range.

A sniper class that employs the Speargun and has a longer cloaking field (the cloaking field could also be something that can be upgraded).

I'd honestly give the Predators the biggest overhaul in terms of gameplay. They also shouldn't get points for screwing around with hopeless animals like oswocs. As a result the Predators play like conquerors fighting for resources.

I don't really have all that many thoughts on the humans... I don't find them too bad, but in the higher difficulties they are so underpowered they are impossible to play with offensively (but then again, that's really only against the Predators and their stupid f**king Hydras) so take that as you will.

Come to think of it, the humans and the method with which they gain money is absurd. Killing earns you almost zippo, and the ATMOs don't come back. I'd rework that. Just as the Aliens can harvest regenerating resources, so should the humans.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

1 of my favorite games. ;D

TITANOSAUR

TITANOSAUR

The game was AW...........................SOME!!! I find the game adicting, especualy the Alien campain. however I do agree the game should have been for PC then counsel systems. who ever thought of putting the game for Xbox and PS2 needs there ass shot off. I'm not kidding. its verry hard for me to understand what the hell drove the creators to put it on councels. I say alot of people should Email Sierra and tell them to make anymore AvP RTS games on PC. same for all other AvP games.

as for the game... the game was short, the announcer's voice was terrable and seemed to be wooden. the graphics where too cartoonish. and the Population cap was terribly low. as well I agree with DB, the way the hosts determin Alien cast is rediculess. if it was up to me I'd have it like...

the queen lays three types of eggs, Queen Eggs, Drone Eggs, and Warrior Eggs, drone eggs can be upgraded to Warrior eggs and Queen eggs. and you will only resault with a runner when a Drone facehugger empregnates a four legged animal. Warriors will resault in human hosts. Predalien will resault with Drone or Warrior facehuggers impregnating a Predator host.

Veteran Warrior

Veteran Warrior

It got annoying at times for me, but I like it.

AcidGlow

AcidGlow

This game was poor... I finally got to play it and some missions are incredibly hard. I was the preds and I hate how your population limit is capped but the CPU's isn't.. giving the CPU unlimited enemies.. aah! The game was nothing on the level of StarCraft.. it bored me after a day.. poor game and not much went into it. It could've been way better if they made it alot more like StarCraft. Bleh, maybe someday i'll get to play PCJ cause that looks more fun then this crap.

Amaymyon666

Amaymyon666

Quote from: AcidGlow on Sep 21, 2008, 11:19:05 PM
This game was poor... I finally got to play it and some missions are incredibly hard. I was the preds and I hate how your population limit is capped but the CPU's isn't.. giving the CPU unlimited enemies.. aah! The game was nothing on the level of StarCraft.. it bored me after a day.. poor game and not much went into it. It could've been way better if they made it alot more like StarCraft. Bleh, maybe someday i'll get to play PCJ cause that looks more fun then this crap.
yeah PCJ is alot better in my opinion than extinction... but i gotta say they both got alot of flaws... nonetheless still pretty enjoyable in their own ways....

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed