Walter Hill Sent Sigourney Weaver a 50-Page Alien 5 Treatment!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 11, 2020, 05:45:25 PM

Author
Walter Hill Sent Sigourney Weaver a 50-Page Alien 5 Treatment! (Read 82,410 times)

KiramidHead

Honestly, we can't say if it's good or bad until we know what was in the treatment. Like, the wooden planet idea sounded cool in concept, but Ward and Fasano's script wasn't really that great.

BlueMarsalis79

If it retcons AlienĀ³ it is bad by default, if it is a sequel to Alien Resurrection it might be good, but a story with Ripley does not work without Sigourney Weaver onboard.

XENOMORPHOSIS

@ SiL not to undermine their contribution of producing the first two movies "not so much in the writing as Ron Shusett would put it They took a shot at writing drafts it was getting worse, but he does acknowledge the exception of the Ash robot reveal being good" an impressive accomplishment how Ridley Scott &James Cameron directed David Giler & Walter Hill's property with minimal studio interference but that doesn't excuse their unprofessional treatment of David Fincher "they admitted that they werent all that enthused of Alien3 to begin with" and the overall studio politics that went on poor David Finch had to try save the movie. It's unclear if it was Alien3 falling short of expectation being an underwhelming end to a trilogy that lead Fox to remove creative control from David and Walter. Unsure what this Alien 5 story Walter n David came up with but wouldn't rule out that due to regrets and second guessing creative choices that it could've retconning dream similar galore.

SiL

SiL

Their drafts of the original movie are much better than O'Bannon and Shussett's. The two were largely bitter about how the script was changed, and some of Hill and Giler's ideas were absolutely moronic (Genghis Khan...), but ultimately the movie was saved by their writing.

I'm not saying they weren't arseholes. By all accounts they were. But saying they were the biggest issue with the franchise is a bit of a stretch.

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Sep 07, 2022, 05:32:22 AMsome of Hill and Giler's ideas were absolutely moronic (Genghis Khan...),

TheBATMAN

There was no love lost between O'Bannon, Shussett and indeed later Rex Pickett with Brandywine so there's bound to be a little bias bitterness when they discuss their contributions.

But a simple read of O'Bannon's drafts and Hill and Giler's for Alien will tell you their writing wasnt really a problem in that regard.

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on Sep 07, 2022, 06:08:07 AM
Quote from: SiL on Sep 07, 2022, 05:32:22 AMsome of Hill and Giler's ideas were absolutely moronic (Genghis Khan...),

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/034/999/1de.gif
They had an idea where there would be a room on the Nostromo that let you recall figures from history and the crew would summon historical figures to fight the Alien.

It sounds ridiculous but there was a good writeup supporting the draft's existence. I'll see if I can find it.

XENOMORPHOSIS

@ SiL Didn't say David Giler & Walter Hill were THE biggest with the series, there are many contributing factors, David said he n Walter took a shot at doing the script n the crew walked off, Alien3 had potential to be on par with 1 and 2 but it was  limited, a reduced scope, unimaginative brought down the possibilities bring that saga to an abrupt end. The qualities of David Fincher has given it a niche following.

SiL

Alien3's real problem was being given a release date before they had a script, which came from the studio, not Hill and Giler. They were working to a deadline, and Sigourney's demands on the script didn't much help things.

PsyKore

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 06, 2022, 10:05:38 PMIf it retcons AlienĀ³ it is bad by default, if it is a sequel to Alien Resurrection it might be good, but a story with Ripley does not work without Sigourney Weaver onboard.

I wholly agree. But I think Resurrection is too left of field in the series to warrant any effort of a sequel from Disney.

BigDaddyJohn

I love AR but at this point ignoring it would be ok for me also.

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

For me Ripleys story line ended with Alien 3.

I'll also add that I really hope they keep Ridley Scott far away from this franchise moving forward.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: BIOROBOT on Sep 07, 2022, 06:23:46 PMI'll also add that I really hope they keep Ridley Scott far away from this franchise moving forward.

I can't disagree with that.

Nightmare Asylum

Might have to wait for another project, then, because he's producing the next two on the slate.

Ahsoka

Too bad, I wish they would continue post-Alien 4 with Ripley :(

If not, then what's stopping them to make it in another media like comics or a game?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed