Rest In Peace Syd Mead

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Dec 30, 2019, 08:03:09 PM

Author
Rest In Peace Syd Mead (Read 8,038 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Well, shit.

Rest In Peace Mr. Mead, your work was legendary and will live on far after you are gone.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 31, 2019, 06:01:25 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 30, 2019, 08:07:09 PM
This is so sad. First Larry Paull. Now Syd Mead.

Rest in Peace Syd. :'(

Larry, Syd and Rutger Hauer. Is the year 2019 some kind of Blade Runner curse?

RIP Mr. Mead.

Yep, I noticed the same thing...  :'(

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 31, 2019, 01:05:04 PM
So just very sad.

Syd. Larry. Rutger. The Blade Runner alumni has lost some real greats this year.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 31, 2019, 06:47:07 PM

RIP Mr. Mead.

So just very sad.

Syd. Larry. Rutger. The Blade Runner alumni has lost some real greats this year.

Yeah, just saw your second post now. Lets all hope Riddles doesn't party too hard tonight, there's only a few more hours left to go then he's Scott free!

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 31, 2019, 06:49:40 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 31, 2019, 06:47:07 PM

RIP Mr. Mead.

So just very sad.

Yeah, just saw your second post now. Lets all hope Riddles doesn't party too hard tonight, there's only a few more hours left to go then he's Scott free!

Trying.. not...... to laugh....

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Very sad loss.  I met Syd Mead in Detroit a few years back, but I studied his work extensively back in the mid-90's.  He was always a great inspiration to me on a personal level as a designer.  Farewell.

The Old One

The Old One

Immortalised through his magnificent work.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Indeed!

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Oh nooooo...:(  I just found out today otherwise I would have posted something about it too. Had an honor interviewing him. Ugh, why are those deseases getting everyone. Rest in peace, you will be always remembered for your contributions

El Pistolero

El Pistolero

Very sad. A very talented artist. I'm sure even when he is gone, his art will always inspire other artists. He will never forgotten. And his art will live on. RIP Syd Mead.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, I know... someone, massively inspired by his work.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: El Pistolero on Jan 04, 2020, 11:57:58 PM
Very sad. A very talented artist. I'm sure even when he is gone, his art will always inspire other artists. He will never forgotten. And his art will live on. RIP Syd Mead.

He worked in the Gundam franchise as well. A talent like no other indeed. RIP Syd Mead.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

You got to remember his work on ALIENS (the movie) also included designing the dropship, where he went as far as to visit El Toro marine and airforce base to research.

I recall Mead saying the final (James Cameron) design of the fictional dropship was "too spindly" in some respects. But you could argue it was because Cameron was aiming for a Vietnam asthetic- Bell AH-1 Cobra helicopter meets F-4 Phantom II fighter. I think to imagine if Mead had 100% control of the dropship design it would be like the Japanese movie GUNHED (1989 film heavily influenced in design by Cameron and Mead's 1986 ALIENS) meets, what we would see in, Prometheus.
https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Syd_Mead

And I heard, in the retrospective ALIENS documentary, that when building the practical dropship set- they used parts from actual RAF B2 Vulcan bombers being decomissioned at RAF Marham Norfolk UK. I used to live and visit there, as one of my parents worked on the base during the time of the film makers, sourcing spare parts for said film props! Could explain my fascination with military science fiction films.  ::)

RIP Syd Mead.

Skylark Duquesne

Skylark Duquesne

The most influential of all futuristic designers. A man of incredible sophistication and superior intelligence. A life devoted to visual beauty. I'll never tire of browsing his marvellous books.

The Old One

The Old One

Blade Runner is nearly his first work and it's sequel is his last work, I just realized. Also probably what he was best known for.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed