20th Century Studios President, Steve Asbell, Talks Prey Time Setting

Started by Whos_Nick, Mar 04, 2022, 01:10:38 AM

Author
20th Century Studios President, Steve Asbell, Talks Prey Time Setting (Read 16,421 times)

Whos_Nick

THR interviewed Steve Asbell about Fox's future with Disney, he touched on Prey:

"And coolest of all for fans, we get to find bold takes on beloved Fox properties. You can take big creative swings — which you'll see with Prey, which we'll launch this summer. A Predator movie set in the Great Plains in 1719 by Dan Trachtenberg. That's what this allows us to do."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/avatar-death-on-the-nile-sequel-and-free-guy-future-1235103538/

ace3g

ace3g

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Mar 04, 2022, 01:10:38 AM
THR interviewed Steve Asbell about Fox's future with Disney, he touched on Prey:

"And coolest of all for fans, we get to find bold takes on beloved Fox properties. You can take big creative swings — which you'll see with Prey, which we'll launch this summer. A Predator movie set in the Great Plains in 1719 by Dan Trachtenberg. That's what this allows us to do."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/avatar-death-on-the-nile-sequel-and-free-guy-future-1235103538/

Now we know the exact year the film takes place during.

BlueMarsalis79

1719 huh? I'd be really surprised if that pistol's not in the film now.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, I'm fairly confident that is what's going to go off here. I think we may be looking at Greyback's first hunt on Earth.

BlueMarsalis79

That makes this both a prequel, and a direct sequel to Predator 2 then, hopefully if this does well we will get a proper Predator 3 with either Arnie or Danny or both following up on that continuity in the other direction.

St_Eddie

Quote"And coolest of all for fans, we get to find bold takes on beloved Fox properties.

Disney's bold new takes on existing Fox franchises?  Pulease.  The movie was already in active development prior to Disney's acquisition of the studio and modern era Disney are anything but creatively led and original.  They're the epitome of endlessly regurgitating safe, fan pandering franchise sequels and reboots, at the expense of exploring original and bold new visions.

SuperiorIronman

It has to be young Greyback or at the very least Greyback is in it. The timeframe is just a little too close for it to not have him in this.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 04, 2022, 11:32:52 AM
That makes this both a prequel, and a direct sequel to Predator 2 then, hopefully if this does well we will get a proper Predator 3 with either Arnie or Danny or both following up on that continuity in the other direction.

Grandpas vs. Predator ? No, thanks

BlueMarsalis79

I didn't say they had to be leads, in fact at this point now, I'd be against that- but being present in a capacity that makes sense- yes. In fact I'm still pretty keen on the idea of a middle eastern setting.

Set in 2027 please.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to this now.

Voodoo Magic

I've always felt Skulls/Prey would tell the story of the Raphael Adolini pistol right from the beginning, based on the time period. (To think I was teased about it in the AvPGalaxy speculation podcast! 8))

Remember too, that the bloke who was on set and took the pic of an actor in Comanche garb had this to say:

Also remember we had an indicator of Europeans in Prey when we saw an actor appear as a French Trapper on IMDB very briefly, before it was quickly pulled.

So the flintlock origin feels like a done deal to me, and I couldn't be more excited.

Bughuntwilson

Hopefully we get a teaser trailer soon since it coming this summer but i do t have high hopes for it to be honest going straight to hulu gives me straight to dvd vibes

Kailem

Yeah the timeframe just feels too close not to have Greyback/the flintlock in it in some way now.

I don't think he'll be the main Predator though, if only because we know he survives until at least 1997 and there's zero chance they're going to have the first Predator movie with a female lead end with it killing her and surviving. So maybe we might see a hunting party of a few of them, and then the one we most focus on is the one that takes a particular interest in Amber Midthunder's character and/or tribe while Greyback is off hunting something/one else.

Still, I think at this point it's going to be more surprising if we don't see them in the movie now than if we do.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 04, 2022, 01:55:02 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 04, 2022, 11:32:52 AM

Grandpas vs. Predator ? No, thanks

Dutch brothers vs. Pred 😋

RIP77

Fox is a plataform streaming 90%.

Ceo Fox :  ALL movies Fox in streaming less 2 or 3 since  2023.

Prey  is not a movie direct dvd.  prey was greenlit thanks to not being released in theaters. Death Nile  is a bomb but sequel is green  thanks to the streaming is HULO. ¿Is movie direct dvd? .NO   is movie box office bad. Is the reazon.
Read the interview.

Fox is new Netflix or HBO MAX. ALL is streaming regardless of movie type.

Only blockbuster movies  like Avatar, Free Guy 2, apes will be released in theaters. ONLY Good box office expectations, ONLY BIG  blockbusters. Exceptions : Movies Oscars but Wide Side Story,The last duel bomb in boxoffice..In Future  similar these movies ONLY Disney+/HULO.

Lost_Hunter

Woh, I really hope this has nothing to do with the Greyback. ADI doesn't deserve to even look at his magnificence.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed