Check out a Cinematic Trailer, Screenshots, and Concept Art for the Cancelled PS2 Aliens: Colonial Marines!

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 06, 2021, 09:41:38 AM

Author
Check out a Cinematic Trailer, Screenshots, and Concept Art for the Cancelled PS2 Aliens: Colonial Marines! (Read 5,427 times)

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Before we endured our long wait for the ultimately disastrous Aliens: Colonial Marines by Gearbox Software, there was another game by the same name of Aliens: Colonial Marines planned for the PlayStation 2.

This one was being developed by Check Six Games, a short lived studio that developed Spyro: Enter The Dragonfly which released in 2002. They next started work on Aliens: Colonial Marines, but after a number of unimpressive internal showings with the publisher as well as a buggy presentation at E3 2001, the project was ultimately cancelled in 2002 and the studio would completely fold in 2003.

While we never saw much on the game beyond that E3 demo and some promotional images, thanks to YouTuber Mr. FO1, we now can take a look at some additional media created for the title.

Below is a cinematic trailer for the game created for marketing purposes:

The trailer honestly reminds me of the intro video of Alien Trilogy, something you might see before the game menu appears. During the trailer, dropships deploy from a Marine vessel of an original design, descending onto a planet to engage a Xenomorph infestation.

Mr. FO1 produced a documentary which includes interviews of a couple developers who worked on the game, shedding some light into what went wrong during development. It seems as though the smaller developer was in over its head with the game, and while they felt they had a strong gameplay experience based on some of their own playthroughs, unstable builds were shown to the higher-ups which destroyed confidence in the project.

You can watch Mr. FO1’s 15 minute documentary below:

In one of the interviews a developer recounts how impressive their experience with a sequence was, only for it to be wrecked when they kept working on the build before presenting it to Fox:

“There was a time when we were playing it one night, a night before we were going to Fox. Where we went down some tunnel in the Sulaco and we got the squad, and it was just SCARY! We were playing in a dark room on a big TV. And the Aliens would start coming from behind and they’re chasing you. Going down this hallways, it’s just a f**king firestorm! Cause your squadmates are trying to shoot em too, but, you know. It’s going crazy, and they’re coming. You’re seeing Aliens get blown up but they’re coming, and they’re coming. And then a shadow behind all this smoke. You see the queen coming, and she’s running on the roof toward you. Just this terrible bloodbath and you make it to the end of the hallways, and the door slams just in time! And then, everything calms. It was so fun. I said, “Are you guys f**king kidding me? That was one of the funnest things I’ve ever played!

We were so happy about that, that was one of the ones that they kept working on it that night. We took that to Fox and it did not do that. In fact, the one we took the Fox, the queen started to come and then she faded. And then half the explosion started fading cause the shaders were screwing up.”

Graciously provided to us were also some new screenshots, concept art, and renders that to our knowledge have never been seen before Mr. FO1 included them in his documentary.

Screencap 35Screencap 22Screencap 18Screencap 15Screencap 13Screencap 10Screencap 9HUD ViewGun RenderSulacoXenomorph ConceptXenomorph Render

We’d like to give a big thanks to Mr. FO1 for providing us with this material, be sure to check out his channel!

Make sure to keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Aliens gaming news! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Russ840

I was so gutted when this got caned.

One of my biggest disappointments in gaming.

Didn't help that what we later got with the same title was very different and an even bigger disappointment.

BlueMarsalis79

Darkness

Nice find. I love it when info comes out about cancelled games. Developers usually stay quiet about them.

The trailer was pretty good.

The Necronoir

Those screenshots are pretty impressive for a PS2 title, even (presumably) using placeholder textures! There's also a certain indescribable something about the trailer that makes it feel like the two original films. The Alien Trilogy intro has it as well. I think it comes down to a reliance on heavy directional lighting to obscure the graphical limitations, while modern titles walk that line between wanting to create a tense atmosphere and the videogame tendency to want show off how good your models and environment look.

426Buddy

I was going to buy a PS2 for this game, I was so bummed when it was canceled.

I really love the end shot of that trailer, great stuff. 

BlueMarsalis79

The documentary above reveals the fact that it had no hope to begin with.

[cancerblack]

This is the content I'm here for.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 06, 2021, 01:55:05 PM
I was going to buy a PS2 for this game, I was so bummed when it was canceled.

Quote from: Russ840 on Sep 06, 2021, 10:35:49 AM
I was so gutted when this got caned.

One of my biggest disappointments in gaming.

Didn't help that what we later got with the same title was very different and an even bigger disappointment.

Yup.

XenoHunter99

It sounds like the gods hated that dev team. It would have been quite a coup if they could have pulled it off. It sounds like they might have *if* they had better version control over their assets and if they did not get distracted with the Maya SDK.

Hudson

Woah that trailer is awesome! I love the ship designs.

Reminds me of that Alien Trilogy opening, the OG Alien Resurrection video game trailer, and the opening cinema to AvP Extinction.

tralaritralara

And the warriors didn't have a bad size (the ACM warriors were a joke, as usual); still not as tall as they should be, but pretty nicely intimidating though thanks to their cool modelling.

I wonder how the original alien class would have been in that game. They sure would have added it too, and maybe runners as well.

I still remember stalking the internet (internet was something new over here by then) back then in 2001 with those terrible 56K modems heheh in the seek of more information for this game after Rebellion's great avp instalment. Then avp2 and avp:extinction came, but never forgot about ACM.

Will never forget Gearbox. Hadn't touch any game of theirs since then.

PsyKore

Haven't watched the doco yet, but the screenies and the trailer looks great to me. Bloody brilliant, actually. Big shame the game didn't get a chance.

I also like in the trailer how the dropship does a barrel roll for no apparent reason. Just for flair, I guess. :P

Kradan

Isn't it some sort of Millennium Falcon maneuver ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed