Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 316,917 times)

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: PHANTOM on Jun 04, 2012, 02:50:13 PM
What disturbs me the most about some of the reviews I'm quickly glancing at is...

no one really is talking about the creatures? I've been a fan of the Alien franchise because of the beast, the monsters, the real star of the show. From what it sounds like the movie isn't scary at all and the creatures are barely present in the film and didn't get the fans talking.

I was expecting to see the next big creature that was going to wipe the floor of the original xenomorph, the only real logical reason I would think why Ridley took out the f**king xenomorph. You mean to tell me this film is just some dialogue marathon, hippie messages of life, with no real creature scares, adventure and horror? :-\

You mean to tell me we went from dome headed xenomorph who was far from retirement to....

a f**kin Jockey wearing xeno amour playing with a flute? :-[
For better or worse, this isn't really a monster movie... There is nothing comparable (in terms of originality/shock value) to the xeno/facehugger/chestburster of the original.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

I'm going to pretend I didn't read these reviews because now that I remember, the fans said the same thing with Predators, it was literally like we all saw a completely different movie and when I saw it I thought it was scary, suspenseful, action packed and left the theater feeling very satisfied.

It's safe to say this is the exact same thing, I'm checking out some of the YouTube reactions so far they are all blown away by the film, saying it's amazing and scary. I believe the difference is, one side goes into the theater wanting to enjoy themselves and the other side is a bunch of extreme nerds who have a very specific taste and are basically negative. In my experience the fans here are extreme, and if it's nothing short but a mathematically perfect film I'll read nothing but bogus negative reviews. Same thing with Predators, fans here hated the film, I personally loved it and thought it was the best Predator movie since the first. That right there speaks volumes of how much different our perspective is while watching a movie.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: PHANTOM on Jun 04, 2012, 03:46:09 PM
I'm going to pretend I didn't read these reviews because now that I remember, the fans said the same thing with Predators, it was literally like we all saw a completely different movie and when I saw it I thought it was scary, suspenseful, action packed and left the theater feeling very satisfied.

It's safe to say this is the exact same thing, I'm checking out some of the YouTube reactions so far they are all blown away by the film, saying it's amazing and scary. I believe the difference is, one side goes into the theater wanting to enjoy themselves and the other side is a bunch of extreme nerds who have a very specific taste and are basically negative. In my experience the fans here are extreme, and if it's nothing short but a mathematically perfect film I'll read nothing but bogus negative reviews. Same thing with Predators, fans here hated the film, I personally loved it and thought it was the best Predator movie since the first. That right there speaks volumes of how much different our perspective is while watching a movie.

We (this specific community) are predisposed to over analyse these particular movies, and therefore probably not the best barometer to gauge the movies flaws and merits. The truth is always somewhere in the middle.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jun 04, 2012, 03:54:28 PM
We (this specific community) are predisposed to over analyse these particular movies, and therefore probably not the best barometer to gauge the movies flaws and merits. The truth is always somewhere in the middle.

Exactly.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

The RT meter is saying that this film is a success. Nuff said...

I could still not like it however....

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 04, 2012, 06:03:18 PM
Says the same thing about Terminator 3 and the Star Wars prequels.

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 04, 2012, 06:03:18 PM

I could still not like it however....

You know what, I think you will like it.

::)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: ucdom on Jun 04, 2012, 06:07:11 PM

No, that's still up in the air! Bethesda has NO expectations whatsoever! ;D

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 04, 2012, 06:11:22 PM
Quote from: ucdom on Jun 04, 2012, 06:07:11 PM

No, that's still up in the air! Bethesda has NO expectations whatsoever! ;D

:laugh:

Hubbs

Hubbs

The 'Engineers' are, in my opinion, brilliant. They are not scary I might add, more eerie but full of mystery. Their look is simple yet amazingly 'alien' in appearance which is in stark contrast to the xenomorph which I think works perfectly.

When the living engineer gets pissed its awesome, you think he's gonna be kind in an 'E.T.' moment then BANG!. His size and build makes you sink in your seat as you worry what on earth he's gonna do, you wouldn't want one these guys on your ass!

I can fully understand the 'Star Trek' remarks, that is one element I didn't really like, the nice clean perfect appearance of everything, very sterile and unused looking. The original 'Alien' film of course was set in a used dirty environment which I think is safe to say everyone liked (much like the classic Star Wars trilogy vs the new Star Wars trilogy). But you have to remember this vessel is a different kind of ship than the 'Nostromo', this is simply a ship for travel, comfort, living and probably exploration.

The 'Nostromo' was a mining ship and of course would have been very dirty, grimy and full of unsightly metal and mechanics. I'm guessing the 'Prometheus' was maybe a new ship, first time in use perhaps and this was her maiden voyage? who knows, maybe we will find out on the DVD.
The one thing that bugged me was the fact the technology on the 'Prometheus' was much more advanced then the 'Nostromo', I think that makes it hard to believe the film is a prequel personally.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

I know I'm not a cool kid here, being all positive and everything ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 8) ;D

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 04, 2012, 07:45:31 PM
I know I'm not a cool kid here, being all positive and everything ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 8) ;D

I'm right there with you, TBS.  8)

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Quote from: Hubbs on Jun 04, 2012, 07:39:50 PM
The one thing that bugged me was the fact the technology on the 'Prometheus' was much more advanced then the 'Nostromo', I think that makes it hard to believe the film is a prequel personally.

It petty much all comes down to how we view the future now as opposed to the 70's.  Back then iPads and voice-command touchscreen monitors were the future, which we now have.

Now, it's holograms.

Still, if I would have been in charge of aesthetic I would retrofit the entire ship with clunky monitors running DOS and maybe just a flicker of ancient holograms a la Star Wars OT here and there since the Prometheus is the most advanced.

Spoiler
I still have a hard-on for holograms, personally.
[close]

Cvalda

Cvalda

Prime, my tender little lamb... Whether I hate this film or not, I hope you enjoy it. <3

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 04, 2012, 07:50:20 PM
Prime, my tender little lamb... Whether I hate this film or not, I hope you enjoy it. <3

Cvalda, my hardcore, brutal as f**k friend...Thank you, and I hope you enjoy it, too.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed