Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 318,749 times)

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Would anyone here rank David up there with Roy Batty or any of the replicants from Blade Runner?

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Hubbs on Jun 04, 2012, 02:52:01 AM
Questions will hopefully be answered in the Bluray commentary :)

I forgot all about the flute bit, what was that about?

I must admit the 'turning' of 'Fifield' into a rage zombie is strange seeing as 'Holloway' didn't turn, I also thought 'Vickers' was being a bit harsh with that flamethrower, talk about over reaction.

Guys there are questions answered in the film and a lot that you have stated here are answered. Holloway and fifield mutated differently because they came into contact with the black goo in different ways. Holloway consumed it and fifield didn't he just had external contact  the same thing happend with the sacrifice jockey at the start he consumed the black goo, like holloway,and then died, like holloway would have. The worms had external contact, like fifield, and the mutated like fifield.

Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 04, 2012, 03:20:18 AM
Would anyone here rank David up there with Roy Batty or any of the replicants from Blade Runner?

Yep he's very similar, always liked the idea that alien and blade runner were part of the same universe

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 04, 2012, 03:20:55 AM
Guys there are questions answered in the film and a lot that you have stated here are answered. Holloway and fifield mutated differently because they came into contact with the black goo in different ways. Holloway consumed it and fifield didn't he just had external contact  the same thing happend with the sacrifice jockey at the start he consumed the black goo, like holloway,and then died, like holloway would have. The worms had external contact, like fifield, and the mutated like fifield.

Biochemical contamination generally doesn't work like that. Once it's in your system, then it does what it does.

It's more likely to do with the dosage level of whatever was ingested.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 04, 2012, 03:26:31 AM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 04, 2012, 03:20:55 AM

Biochemical contamination generally doesn't work like that. Once it's in your system, then it does what it does.

It's more likely to do with the dosage level of whatever was ingested.

That's true for reality but not sci-fi. This black goo can't be rationalised by what we know from our medicine. I think the way I had explained it makes much more sense within the movie however the dosage is important. Holloways evisceration takes much longer than the sacrificial engineers because he has less.

Hubbs

Hubbs

But 'Fifield' did ingest it I thought, his helmet melted, cracked and the suction of his breathing made it cover his face but also ingest?

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

It's too hard to tell what happened as its cut short. I thought it just burnt onto his faces and disfigured him

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 04, 2012, 02:28:11 AM
Forgot all about the Engineers using a flute. Leave that sort of stuff to Spielberg, eh.

Quote from: First Blood on Jun 04, 2012, 02:26:01 AM
So Janek willingly crashes the ship into the Jockey ship and kills himself along with the rest of the crew?

Nice guy. :P
They don't mind at all. They go, "Oh Cap'n you suck at flying!" and decide to martyr themselves. Since they're non-entities throughout the film it doesn't really matter

using a flute? what? Unless that's some sort of nod to Egyptian mythology, where some god endlessly destroys and creates by playing a flute, this makes no sense.

Hubbs

Hubbs

The flute bit is merely seconds long, can't recall now, seems to summon something or engage something I think.

Valaquen

Valaquen

They use the flute to turn on the technology surrounding the seat; the control panel. David sees an Engineer hologram do this and mimics it.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Seems to me it's a deeper plot element, one of the precious few we get.

Of coure y'aint gonna git it.

:laugh:

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

i was dissapointed it sounded like, you know, a flute. it should have made the same noise as the cut transmission in Alien. that would've been cool...

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 04, 2012, 03:32:30 AM
That's true for reality but not sci-fi. This black goo can't be rationalised by what we know from our medicine. I think the way I had explained it makes much more sense within the movie however the dosage is important. Holloways evisceration takes much longer than the sacrificial engineers because he has less.

Science Fiction does not mean do whatever you want. At the very least it stands for "establish the rules, and then play around within the context of those rules."

Science Fiction is not, fantasy. Fantasy is fantasy. The reason it's called science is because science should, and in the best of cases does play into it on some level. Otherwise we might as well just call this goo what it really is.

Magic Juice.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Wut.  that was terrifying.

flute, y u make dat noise?

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Here's my problem with the "mystery" and "questions" raised in Prometheus. Feel free to disagree, but this is how I feel.

There's nothing wrong with unanswered questions or mystery in movies, as long as they're not at the centre of the story.

Take Alien - there is the unanswered question of the derelict and the space jockey, but the story is focussed around the Nostromo crew and their fate, so the these questions have no direct bearing on the characters or the action that follows; the growth of the Alien is central and the Space Jockey is a tiny little tangential question.

In Prometheus, however, all the mystery has been pushed to the centre of the story. All of the characters' and the action revolve around unanswered questions, which ends up being profoundly unsatisfying to some audience members. It is - I think - deeply frustrating not to be able to grasp the motivation of a screen character, even by the end of the movie, because it is 'shrouded in mystery'. What you sense, as an audience member, is that the writer has no clue. And the idea that one would need to trawl through hours of extras or commentary on a disc released months later, just to understand what the film was about, defies logic.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Either its' Riddles trying to pull off the biggest 2-movie unexpected push in history...

Or... we're all f**ked.

A movie, even with mysteries, has to be able to stand on its own.

Thank Deuterium for dat bit of knowledge. :laugh:

If the movie can't support its own weight, you ditch it.  That's what's supposed to happen.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed