Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 319,027 times)

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: mastermoon on Jun 02, 2012, 07:29:03 PM
I've notice fans were expecting too much out of Prometheus and Predators, whats the problem with reviving the ALien and Predator movies?.

They revived both in AVP  :P

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

I've notice fans were expecting too much out of Prometheus and Predators, whats the problem with reviving the ALien and Predator movies?.

nothing wrong with reviving them, i enjoyed predators for the most part, except for them taking edwin, it seemed a bit stupid as surely the preds would have had to sit cloaked in hospitals to find out that hes a dangerous murderer which seems to be pretty silly since were told in previous movies that theyre drawn to wars and battles to hunt dangerous people.

i would be happy for them to keep making the movies as long as the story is good, coherent and the creature designs are good.

thanks

rich

mastermoon

mastermoon

Quote from: Le Celticant on Jun 02, 2012, 07:34:46 PM

They revived both in AVP  :P

I'm excluding AVP I'm only talking about the solo Alien and Predator movies.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: tmjhur on Jun 02, 2012, 07:19:24 PM
Fassbender is Irish.
Well, Ireland is in Britain  :P ... though I don't identify as British myself.

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 02, 2012, 07:38:08 PM
Quote from: tmjhur on Jun 02, 2012, 07:19:24 PM
Fassbender is Irish.
Well, Ireland is in Britain  :P ... though I don't identify as British myself.

only northern ireland is britain lol, not republic.

thanks

rich

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Jun 02, 2012, 07:43:56 PM
only northern ireland is britain lol, not republic.
I know. Didn't know that the Fass was from the Republic  though (born in Germany). Ohh, Wiki  8)

red_otter

red_otter

What do you mean exactly? There's absolutely nothing wrong with reviving the Alien films per se; if this had been a good film I'd've been delighted, unfortunately it just wasn't up to snuff. I actually think even Alien Resurrection blows this out of the water; in fact the opening credits sequence of Alien Resurrection alone shows a directorial vision well ahead of anything in Prometheus.

That's probably the biggest surprise of the movie, for me. I thought the writing might be duff; but I didn't expect the directing to be so lacking in vision.

Oh, and edit: hadn't realised the Fass was Irish, sorry. I knew he was born in Germany but always thought of him as a Brit for some reason. My God he's good though. Sooo good. Easily as effective as Holm in Alien, he alone deserved a much better movie.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

I'm so glad to hear Fassbender is as memorable as Ash.

Other question,
Spoiler
Do we see the Engineer piloting the ship when he attempts to leave the moon?  Is he sitting in his chair or the console seat?  How cool does it look?
[close]

Kimo

Kimo

Ive had afew days to think about Prometheus and here is what i now think.

LOADS OF SPOILERS SO DO NOT READ ON IF YOU AINT SEEN THE FILM.

Noomi Rapace:
At first i was thinking Ridley just wanted to put another female as the main lead because it worked so well with Alien.  Noomi plays it as her own without trying to be another Ripley and it works very well. But i do think that Fassbender stole the show.

Michael Fassbender:
He was my favorite actor in this film and possibly now one of my favorite actor from the whole Alien films. I like how in Alien Ash is just a Robot that is taking orders. But David in Prometheus is playing a robot who seems to be questioning his own existence just like how Shaw is with God and the jockey race. For me Prometheus is just worth watching for Fassbender alone.

Charlize Theron:
She was awsome, it was a shame her plot in the movie was a wasted opportunity. Every minute she did get screen time she rocked. I love that bit when she's in the corridor when David bumps in to her, she was very menacing.  You know when Ripley was trying to run things by the book and all her crew members were thinking she was a bitch or at least she comes across that way in the first half of Alien? Well Vickers is that bitch x 2 and stays that way till the end.

Idris Elba:
I liked him, he was like a more chilled out Apone with less wisecracks but had a very positive vibe to him.

Guy Pearce:
Love the actor he done a good Peter Wayland. However i felt that his makeup to make him look old looked a little to rubbery in the shot were he briefs the crew as an hollergram. But when we see him later in the film his makeup does then look more realistic. Also i felt that the was wasted opportunity because he only had small screen time and when we do get to see him later in the film it feels like another rushed sub plot. If they kept him away from the screen after the briefing, then it could of been more of a mystery of who David was talking to when he has his yellow cyber punk (that looks f**king awsome) helmet on. Obviously Vickers confronts David in the hallway on who is he talking to? It should of been left to the audience to guess who it was and then maybe bring back Peter Wayland in a sequel. But over all Mr Pearce done a great job.

Logan Marshall Green:
I liked him but he was just there for Noomi Rapace to get the ball moving with that thing in her belly plot. In away it is like how John Hurt was cast to play Kane, like Kanes role was just to get the Alien on to the ship. well this is the same for Logans character, to get the Alien thing inside Shaw. Hurts acting in Alien made his role one of the most rememberable in all the Alien films... Logan just ends up another medicore victim. This was not Logan's fault, more to do with script writing.

Charlie Holloway
Monkey man i like to call him... Well when i seen him in the trailer i was not sure if i would like or hate this guy. But i am glad to say i liked him when he was human. I will talk more about him later.

Rafe Spall
Just monkey mans side kick. I will talk more about him later since his screen time was short.
Benedict Wong
I wish he had more screen time he had a good presence about him, nothing bad to say.

Kate Dickie:
Her accent was annoying.
The Rest were just cannon fodder or i cant remember well.

The Creatures:
The Engineer(s)
No doubt the best looking creature in Prometheus. When i seen him in the trailer i was in 2 minds if i would like him or not. But after seeing him in Prometheus he was no doubt the best design i was left wanting to see more of the Jockey race. The suit looks good as well it is safe to say Ridley got away with makiing the Jockey humanoid because the Engineer was the biggest gamble for this  movie but it paid off well.

The Black sticky stuff from vails
Just think X-Files Black oil and you got the idea. Would of liked to see David do more testing on this stuff so we get to know more about it.

The Snake/worm thing that attacks Rafe Spall.
This snake thing looked pretty cool it was defo giger looking, it was a shame you only see it once in the film.  But it was also used for one of the one most dumbest parts of Prometheus.

Ok the reason i hated this part of the film:

When the Team first explore the Cave/Pyramid thing, David trips the holographic simulation were we see some Jockeys get killed and running away from something. Well thats all good but then Hollaway gets freaked out and says hes going back to the Prometheus Ship is anyone coming? So Rafe Spall (Millburn) joins him. The other team end up making there way back to the Prometheus and notice that both Hollaway and Millburn are missing and still inside the Cave/Pyramid thing. Next thing a big storm comes and the captain of the Prometheus radio's them and says, look lads you will have to sit tight and wait the storm out. So Holloway and Millburn are now exploring the place and end up coming across them Snake/Worm things..... (This is were it turns from Alien to f**king AVP type of scenario) Holloway and Millburn were both shitting  themselves not long ago, but now Millburn starts to act like f**king Steve Irwin around this strange creature before it attacks them... Now think about this? it is like one of us walking in to some unknown jungle and seeing something strange like a f**king freaky looking Snake and then going up to it and trying to pat it or make it do tricks, it would not be a natural thing to do. What should of happened is that Millburn and Hollaway notice them creatures and keep well away from them. Then maybe when they are resting the thing f**king attacks them.
Logan Marshall Green after infection:
Well we only get to see him change a little before he forces Vickers to flame him. He was only written in to the script to pass on his seed to Shaw so we get that pregnancy plot.

Shaws fetus
That part of the film was great but the fetus thing just looked like a sea squid nothing horrifying, more on lines with what we see in Alien Res (when you sea them take the Queen out of Ripley) it just looks undeveloped for obvious reasons cos of the plot.

Fully Grown fetus Squid thing that attacks the Engineer.
This was by fair the weakest looking creature in Prometheus... if they somehow made this thing look scary and kept it more in touch with Gigers alien design we could of had a great final act. For me this is were prometheus falls flat it was such a wasted opportunity. Man i think the Newborn from Res would of made a better Shaw offspring then this thing. You know in that making of Alien in the quadrilogy boxset documentary, and someone talk about some other Director would handle the facehugger scene in Alien? And he says that he would just buy a liver from the market and slap it in the actors face... Well this scene is a giant version of this... :( how sad and also it was over as quick as that final battle with the jockey started. Talking about the 4 Alien flick i think now the Newborn idea feels more plausible after watching Shaws monstrosity and i say this in a serious tone because it is like the Alien DNA will always find away to exist and come to life even if it looks dumb as f**k.

Jockey Xeno / Proto Alien
I was glad that Ridley give us this because this is for the Alien Fans, but this was yet another wasted opportunity. The design itself was ok, i did like how it had that thin anorexic look and i even liked the shape of its head. Only thing i wish its face was more on pair with Kanes Son.

Holloway Monkey Zombie dude:
I liked Holloway when he was human, but i see no point in having in him Prometheus after he gets infected. It just felt like another sub plot that never really worked. However the part were he is waiting outside the Prometheus and his body is all twisted looked freaky. Just think of the Alien crab walk that was cut from Alien and you will know what i mean. Then when he finally got inside he was soon killed off. His little fight with the canon fooder of prometheus was great, it was just a shame we could not get to see him act more Alien and see him change a little more in to something even more horrid. Another wasted opportunity but at the same time a sub plot that never needed to be there.

Things that Bugged Me.

Vickers should of been killed by the Proto Alien or at the end of the film you see vickers stuck on the planet on her own and then you see Proto Jockey Alien rise from behind her, then credits. I did like Vickers death but it should of been used on someone else. Like why the f**k have 3 people commit suicide by crashing the Prometheus in to the Jockey ship? You should have had only the Captain do that, and the others try and make a break for it as well. but saying that maybe the other crew were needed to pilot Prometheus? well they should of least had one wanting to escape with Vickers then have him suffer Vickers crushing fate and just leave 2 of them to pilot the ship... But personally i would of liked to of seen only the captain do the suicide run and that way we would of had afew more fodder for the Jockey or Proto/Alien.

The music:
Music felt wrong, it was defo on the other end of the spectrum then what the score from Alien was. However dont get me wrong, the music itself was good but it just felt it should of been in a differnt film. I did hear some music/sounds from Alien in Prometheus but it was very short lived. Also i felt the score(s) were sometime over used in parts of the film that would of been more tense if the was no music at all. (watch Alien and Aliens and even JC The Thing and you will know what i mean.)

Not much sounds inside the Prometheus Ship. Like you know in Alien you can hear the ship making humming noises, like it has its own personality and the ship seems to be Alive well i cant remember hearing anything like this inside the Prometheus. However this could be due to the Nostromo being old.

More engineer action would of been nice and a better climax of Proto/Jockey Alien.

That dam fully Grown fetus Squid thing.
----------------
NOW TO THE GOOD STUFF.
It looks dam amazing everything from the Prometheus to the Jocky ship and that big head room was all Alien on roids.

Most of the Actors are great, i would say about 85% of them played there roles pretty well. Michael Fassbender was my favorite.

The engineer(s) looked awsome, i was thinking that a humanoid jockey dude would look pretty silly but i was shocked that he looked pretty dam good. I hope we see him in Gear Box Aliens game cos he needs to be explored even more. I hope we get another 2 Prometheus cos i want to see even more off this race but if not i can see him being apart of some shit AVP3 flix.

The ancient astronaut theory i dig. I like how Shaw still holds on to her cross and says something on the lines of who was the Jockey's creator. (well something like that)

When Shaw removes that squid looking thing from her belly it was great and tense.

I was glad we did get to see a form of xeno at the end of the film, even if it was just a 10second money shot for the fans.

David DAVID

And david roaming the ship at the start why everyone was sleeping.

Overall:
Prometheus was never going to be perfect because the thing that worked for Alien was its mystery and horror. Every one of us on this forum pre Prometheus had our own ideas and theories of what the Jocky was, and why was the Alien created? Prometheus gives us a little taste of this, some of it works well and some of it leaves more questions than answers. However for me i was at least 75% satisfied just a shame afew little things stops it from being on par with Alien and Aliens but Prometheus holds up well and it is now my 3rd favorite Alien flick. 7.5/10 cant wait for it on blu-ray.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 02, 2012, 08:38:39 PM

Other question,
Spoiler
Do we see the Engineer piloting the ship when he attempts to leave the moon?  Is he sitting in his chair or the console seat?  How cool does it look?
[close]
Spoiler
Only shot of him piloting is the one, pretty much, from the trailer. He suits up and everything activates. End.
[close]

Kimo, you're mixing up Holloway with Fifield  :P

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Other question,
Spoiler
[close]

fassbender is truely brilliant, and probably the best thing about prometheus, and yes we see the engineer, hes the one getting in the jockey suit in the trailer, and tbh, the suit looks a bit crap plastic cgi, and the size doesnt look right, doesnt look like he could reach some of the control sticks which are in the same place as in alien.

thanks

rich

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 02, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Other question,
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
Only shot of him piloting is the one, pretty much, from the trailer. He suits up and everything activates. End.
[close]

I really wanted to see how they operated the spaceship.  Bah  :(

red_otter

red_otter

Other question,
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
What Valaquen said. I'd add, I'm so disappointed with the eventual revelation of the Space Jockeys in Prometheus in any event that I don't think any of it looks that cool. The original Alien SJ is infinitely more mysterious, weird, noble, beautiful...I could go on. One of many aspects of the film that lacks any poetry or sense of what made the original so memorable.
[close]

Kimo

Kimo

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 02, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Other question,
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Kimo, you're mixing up Holloway with Fifield  :P

Dam lol too many names to remember... I glad its not Alien 3 i am reviewing then pmsl.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

"I want to scare the shit out of you."
- Ridley Scott

The quote which launched a thousand fandom orgasms... The question is, did he succeed?

'Prometheus' is what happens when you throw 'The Thing' and 'Event Horizon' in a blender, decide it needs some 'Splice' and then, for no apparent reason, decide to throw away most of what could have made it an iconic piece of horror for the modern age. There are no two ways about this: The film had all the ingredients required to make it a potential new cinematic masterpiece, but began to start shedding them along the creative road as it journeyed along to completion.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an effective piece of science-fiction. Something which manages to feel both real and epic. If you're despairing at Hollywood's continuing attempts to try and splice together the DNA of Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich, then a trip to see this will be refreshing. Visually-speaking, it's something of an oasis in a graveyard of pretenders to the throne, marred so much by their own reliance on fast-paced jump-cuts and giant robots, that they seem to forget the art of story-crafting completely.

Unfortunately, what made 'Alien' - and its initial sequel - so successful... That very sense of realism... Is in some way ruined by the polished nature of, well, something trying to out-epic itself. There is nothing - I repeat, nothing - which comes close to how awe-inspiring and disturbing that famous scene of the original Space Jockey is. There are attempts and the sets are beautiful, but even though the film makes a point of exploring these cavernous extraterrestrial labyrinths to a far greater extent, there's nothing which really fills you with the same sense of wonder. By attempting to be overly clever and over-engineer (no pun intended) itself, 'Prometheus' seems to lose sight of what made its source material so compelling.

Again, that isn't to say it's a failure. It's not. 'Alien' films, most especially, are often rated by how much entertainment and escapist value they have. In this, 'Prometheus' mostly succeeds. But like that old elephantine monstrosity rooted to its telescopic contraption, the shadow of a certain blockbuster from the 1970s looms heavily over what we are seeing. Every time you see characters step foot into the Space Jockey's realm, you want it to out-do the original. You really do. Or at least equal it. You want that same combined sense of wonderment and dread to loom out of the shadows and remind you why millions of us rewatch the originals, to this very day. You want the film to somehow prove it's earned the right to its vast budget and the involvement of Ridley Scott and HR Giger.

Because, admit it... The teenager in you pored over Giger's 'Book Of Alien' like it was porn. You hoarded those comics, damn it. You've seen the masterpieces so many times, discussed them with so many like-minded fans, that it would be impossible for giants like these to get it wrong. We've got technology and visual techniques available to us now, which simply didn't exist back then. Hell, you're so aware of what made those classics as great as they are, that you can tell when something else is copying those very same elements!

So, where does it succeed? Where does it fail?

First things first: You're going to see this because it's a monster movie. You want to know how masterfully the creature designs are handled. And this is probably the film's greatest weakness...

Why? Because gone are any hint of biomechanical design aesthetics. Literally... Utterly, completely gone. Without spoiling much, the Space Jockeys have this represented upon their uniforms, by their very natures. But the entity you're actually paying to see on screen exhibits none of that. And also just as absent - sorely so - is any hint of psychosexuality.

That's right. Ridley Scott's had literally decades to think about the direction he'd take a film like this and we get relatively generic monsters. The one time when there is an element of the story which delves into what could have been familiar xenomorphic territory (something which happens to Shaw, the film's protagonist), what we end up getting isn't terribly fresh or new, at all. It's something which could have easily featured in 'Splice' (and, in some respects, actually was). All that fan speculation you've been hit over the head with for months? Brooding subtext on the threatening nature of perversion and obscenity? Horrific scenes which would make Lambert's death seem almost tame? Nowhere to be seen here.

As a matter of fact, Lambert's death deserves revisiting here, since some will inevitably try to brush off criticisms, as being to do with concern for the age rating. My answer to that is that Lambert's death, even today, could easily have earned a relatively low rating (it is, in fact, a perfect example of what can be psychologically achieved by the use of pure suggestion, editing and audio). Someone like Ridley Scott should be all the more aware of this, yet, sadly, we don't see much evidence of it here. If you're hoping for something along those lines, you're going to be disappointed. Characters speak of death, but what was born from Kane exhibited more disturbing menace.

The actual physical designs, themselves, are a mixed bag. The initial things we see are handled fairly well and have an air of menace, but most of this is because one of the characters acts ridiculously stupid. If you thought Kane's response to an opening "leathery object" was lacking in common sense, you're going to be face-palming here. It is, however, effectively brutal. But brutality is more what you expect to see in a 'Predator' film. When you go and see an 'Alien' movie, you want to glimpse something nightmarishly horrific at least being hinted at. Something which you could believe might scare a character to death if they were confronted by it (as per Lambert's original death as it was filmed before editing).

Oddly, most of the actual carnage and body count is carried out by relatively mundane, humanoid antagonists. Those of us worried by, say, the rumours about 'space mutants' and what the Space Jockey is meant to truly be? We were right to be so. This is what bites me so much about this production; it can be so majestic with set design and beautiful scenic visuals, yet show hardly any attention when it comes to the crafting of a scene which would have been much better spent on creating something genuinely disturbing and unpleasant.

None of which might have necessarily been a big problem, but Ridley Scott painted himself into a corner by being widely quoted as believing it was somehow impossible to make the original Alien seem threatening on screen, using the fact that one of them had featured as a cameo on a Disney ride as proof of this. Many of us in the fandom have argued, by contrast, that the original Alien hasn't truly been portrayed effectively since the eighties and that, in light of this, all the more effort should be spent on 'getting it right'. The very logic for why so many wanted the likes of Scott and Giger to be involved in a sequel (or, in this case, a prequel, albeit an indirect one).

So, what have we got in place of Giger's iconic stroke of psychosexual genius? Well, as I say, a rather mixed bag. Design-wise, something which has, shall we say, spent a while gestating... See what I did there? Once it began to get active, it showed hints of a promising would-be successor. Something which might end up as this film's chestburster, gradually maturing into a true extraterrestrial force of agony and death. What ends up being revealed later on? Eh... A huge disappointment (visually impressive, but compared to the original Alien, even the facehugger shall still be more memorable). Why did Ridley Scott bother pouring on the criticism on a design which would have been superior to what he ended up authorising? That's not sarcasm, I'd honestly like to know.

Spoiler
Many call it a 'squid', but it's more of a psychotic starfish on crack.
[close]

And yes, there is a hint of the original Alien... Unfortunately, my reaction to it was akin to the morbid fascination associated with the wreckage of a car crash:

(A) Ohhh... Is that what I think it is?
(B) Huhhh... I can see the limbs and stuff, but... Oh, there's a bit more of it. Wait, it's doing something more! Ah, I knew that couldn't be all there was...
(C) Wait, did this just turn into a Roger Corman film?

It literally is something I suspect most fans would have rather been left on the cutting room floor. Or even better, had the budget diverted to something more meaningful.

Fans of 'Alien 3' will, however, recognise something of a homeage...

Spoiler
In my honest opinion, it looked like someone tried to copy the Bambi-burster with one of the parodies from 'Beetlejuice' and took away the tail.

All those weird Dark Horse comic interpretations of the infamous Jockey-burster? You will be wishing this thing was like those. It's worse than the Predalien, is how bad it is.
[close]

So, with that over, how does the story stack up?

Whether you see this in 2D or 3D, you can't escape the feeling that it's a bit like 'Alien Versus Predator' without the Predators. If and when Anderson watches this, he's going to raise an eyebrow. The next time Scott makes one of his suggestive comments about the AVP films, you can feel free to wonder if he ever actually watched them, because there are key elements which are very similar to the first one.

Spoiler
Ironically, including the final scene.
[close]

But that's OK, because, much like how 'The Matrix' can get away with directly copying scenes from certain Japanese animation movies before it, 'Prometheus' can get away with copying Anderson's because it does the whole archeologist-gets-hired-by-Weyland-to-go-exploring-ancient-pyramid-of-doom-thingy well (although, quite why a character refers to it as a pyramid when it's more of a mound, I was confused by). You can, however, be excused for sometimes wondering if Shaw should be getting called 'Lex'...

Some of the film cleverly plays around with the very expectations it sets up. I liked this. For example, rather than everyone haplessly marching to an almost certain death, a few of them do pipe up with how ridiculous it is to do so and even take action. However, that doesn't stop others from doing really stupid things, like taking off helmets and taking in whole lungfuls of who-knows-what, just because the atmosphere sensors think it's probably OK to breathe. Do these scientists not think about things like unknown contaminants? Or, worse still, have the training necessary for excavating ancient digs, yet don't even consider their own bodies might be exposing and infecting the environment with something?

It's stuff like this which makes you side with the character of Vickers. Yes, it's almost mandatory for an 'Alien' film to have at least one character who's there as a 'suit' and needs to exude an air of let's-do-evil-shenanigans-because-I'm-rich-and-you're-expendable. Here, Vickers supplies that function and even mixes in a little of Nostromo-era Ripley's pragmatism. You can't help but think she's almost the only sane one around, at times, when even the alleged 'scientists' show zero understanding of basic matters like quarantine. That it's a prequel to a film in which that was already a strong sub-plot, only serves to emphasise this more. She is, however, portrayed very well on screen. In retrospect, the actress doesn't have terribly much material to work with, yet gives a stronger impression for it.

Most other characters are generic. In the case of a few, I can't even remember what ended up happening to them. I would say, though, that most of them have their own little quirks, which helps to make the cast feel like real people. Few of them do the kind of casual bitching about day-to-day drudgery which rounded out the likes of Parker and Brett, which means we don't get much opportunity to empathise with most, but they're serviceable. Nevertheless, I did miss an opportunity to revisit those kinds of social divisions between the pragmatism of the engineering department and those in charge of the ship and mission.

The latter is actually problematic. In both 'Alien' and its sequel, there were obvious chains of command. Here, it's all a bit unclear. Orders are barked, but not necessarily followed and you almost get the impression that nobody on the crew roster, themselves, are even sure of who they should be taking their cues from. This makes it more difficult to believe that they're on a trillion-dollar mission of grand importance, since nobody seems the least bit trained in protocol. Over all, though, this doesn't really detract from the events of what they experience.

And experience, they do... Repeatedly, in fact - and constantly putting themselves in danger seems to become more like a habit than accident. 'Alien' was so plausible because of accidental exposure and the characters reacting how the audience would: Wanting to get the hell away. Disaster struck because they had allowed contamination to come aboard. Here, the crew of the Prometheus are struck by that most inconvenient of measures; a film director gripped by feeling he needs to keep exploring the Space Jockey lair, instead of realising that less can sometimes be more (if the Prometheus had somehow been damaged beyond repair, this would be more understandable). As a result, the characters leave you with the feeling that they have a death wish, because of how often they force themselves to go back to where tragedy clearly lurks. You yearn for the days when poor Lambert refused in tears to follow Ripley's plan of flushing out the ventilation system after Dallas' death. Here, the crew of the Prometheus would have not only done just that, but forget to rig up extra weapons for precaution.

David 8, thankfully, doesn't come close to what was threatened by some quarters of fandom. There's nothing where he shows more hints of more emotional capability than the likes of Ash or Bishop did. Moments of what could be interpreted as resent, but they don't hit you in the face. It's no better/worse than the moments of what could be seen as frustration were demonstrated by Ash. And because of this ambiguity, David 8 doesn't come across as more radically advanced than Ash, which helps the continuity. There are some very nice moments with him, in fact. Also some weird ones, though, where his motivations aren't properly clarified like those for Ash had been. I was worried that his story arc would be about becoming human, but the story doesn't dare to venture along such meaninglessly sentimental lines. So, yes, David 8 fits reasonably well alongside Ash, Bishop and Call. We witness him doing things like watching films, when you would think he'd logically be engineered to simply absorb them for analysis to an internal download, but I can forgive the film-makers for that. Acting-wise, it's a good performance of what it means to be synthetic. The few moments where he's implied as potentially angry about something, though, I could do without - they didn't make much sense for a robot to exhibit.

But what about the mystery? These 'Engineers'? Who are the Space Jockeys? Where did they come from? Why do they do what they do? What is it they're trying to do? How do they perceive us? Why?

This was the film which, everyone involved, director included, claimed would serve to investigate these questions. They were the whole point of it! And this is Ridley Scott! With a budget, no less! You cannot doubt that this will lead to epic philosophical places!

When it comes to story-telling, if you float one mystery, putting up others is perfectly fine, so long as you also provide some answers. We don't actually get much of that here. Only more questions. The Space Jockeys are explored, but you're left none the wiser. And, yes, for those of you in the know, the 'suit thing' is as daft and pointless as it sounded - which is possibly the film's greatest failing, since this was a mystery decades in the making and what most fans wanted Ridley Scott to be involved in answering, if it must be. From that perspective, it feels like an exercise in squandered potential. Then again, this is the same guy who did a director's cut of 'Alien' and didn't fix the notorious problem with Ash's head by adding a simple cut away reaction... Perhaps this should have been interpreted as a warning?

If you're not looking for the 'derelict question' to be solved, however, then it's still an interesting journey to tag along with. The infamous visual of that giant human head, strangely, doesn't get explained, which is reflective of a large proportion of what goes on, really. I attribute this to Ridley Scott's technique of 'the art' always coming first. He has an artistic canvas and paints something memorable with actors and cameras. Whether we end up liking it is neither here nor there. The canvas is what you pay him for. We get his ideas about the Space Jockeys and what they're up to, which don't hold much in the way of surprise if you've read/listened to his views of them over the years. Space Jockeys carry around biological weapons (of, apparently, varying types) and sometimes Stuff Goes Wrong(TM). Much beyond that, you won't find answered here. 'Prometheus' is more like a glimpse into the aftermath of an ancient prison riot, than a historical flashback of monumental proportions (and no, I didn't just give away the story; just a suitable analogy).

Weirdly, the aspect which has, up until now, been the most controversial; ET-influenced human origins, was conspicuously pedestrian. Those adverts where we see Shaw relate the tale of old paintings correlating to a star system? That's literally her entire proof. I felt sure that there was going to be more to it. That something would crop up later, perhaps to do with the company's financial involvement. An intriguing about-face for one of the scientist characters, revealing they knew more than had been let on. Some fragment of ET DNA or a device uncovered at one of the old dig sites. Something. They had to get all that funding, right? There must have been more to it!

But... No. That's why some of the film, as a whole, feels disappointingly painting-by-numbers. I was looking forward to at least this fantastical angle to history being done justice to. Yet, it isn't. The most we get is a short scene involving a waterfall. There was so much potential here and it actually feels inferior to the far more epic historical flashbacks in 'Alien Versus Predator'. I'm not asking for lasers and spaceships, but as someone who's been intrigued by all those old legends of 'star gods from the sky', the practical reality of a visual artist like Ridley Scott doing next to nothing with this, especially when he's been so passionate about it in interviews, is astounding. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of things I could have had Shaw or her partner speak of in dialogue, if budget was the issue. Even 'Predator' did this well, with Anna's reference of "the demons who make trophies of men" and we get nothing in 'Prometheus' approaching how memorable that was.

But with all of this said, it's worth going to see. I mean that. It won't blow your mind, but it's a nice addition to the series. This is, it's true, what damages it: You're going along to see something which should be spectacular and, while good entertainment and even (relatively) effective at what it sets out to do, it's not anything revolutionary. It's not the thing you've been waiting since the 1980s to see and you're honestly left wondering why Ridley Scott chose this project over the true sequel James Cameron was going to write for him to direct. Or why he was so openly critical of Giger's creature design, only to apparently settle for a much inferior product.

Does he "scare the shit" out of us? No. And, really, we should expect that. The guy's evolved since the 1970s, after all. He's had time to be a family guy and hasn't had opportunity to practice the art of film horror. It's the same as the director who gave us 'Jaws' later doing his version of 'War Of The Worlds': Much bigger budget and many years of experience later, but would have benefited enormously from Spielberg having taken the time to helm a couple of creature-feature projects between them.

And that's what we have. It's like a family relative you deeply admire, who used to take you out for the best times on Earth, who recently came back from his trip overseas and decides to take you out somewhere special. You appreciate the ride, love that he's doing it, but... You've kind of grown apart. And it doesn't make those old times spent with that person any less special. It's just that times have moved on and he's better at doing other things.

Or perhaps a more relevant analogy would be like how we wondered what happened to the director of the 'Terminator' films and 'Aliens', after watching 'Titanic' and 'Avatar'... Decent enough films in their own right, but a radical departure of what you would have predicted he'd have done with the subject material, years before.

Would 'Prometheus' have been better if it wasn't a prequel? Very probably. It suffers from labouring under the weight of its predecessors very, very much. The whole point of it is that it's meant to at least rise to similar heights, yet it doesn't. Prettier, yes, but when what made the old things so great was how they got their hands dirty... Pretty isn't what you need. You're comparing Tina Turner to Britney Spears and it doesn't quite mesh when they do a duet.

Is it acted well? Not in all places, but mostly, yes (in many cases, though, you won't remember half the faces as fondly as you will Ferro or even Jones, the cat). Does the story do what it should? Yes and no... It's not what we were promised. Not in the least. But it takes you for a ride and engages you. Does it out-Giger Giger? F**k, no - and never will. But it does its thing and you don't regret paying to see it. You just wish it had been something more... Special.

The real test will come later. Will we be rewatching it as many times as the others? Will we be quoting the lines to friends? Will there be entire parodies based on scenes people remember from it?

Right now, I place it behind 'Alien' and 'Aliens': As something which was meant to come up to their level or even replace them, it fails. As something which was meant to stand alongside them? Yeah... I can buy that.

I give it a 6.5 out of 10. If they'd just made it an original film and done away with any Space Jockey stuff, I'd have rated it higher. But it is entertaining and, while it needed to be more 'Event Horizon' than 'Resident Evil', what we get is by no means poor.

Yet, I'll always be left wondering how things might have turned out with more Giger-esque biomechanoids and a better script...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed