Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 318,368 times)

Firestorm

Firestorm

MrLee i love your review, because it is EXACTLY what i wanted to write but just could not be bothered to type.

mastermoon

mastermoon

Quote from: MrLee on Jun 01, 2012, 11:34:14 PM
My full review

This is the summed up version.  Spoiler free version.

Imagine the original Alien. Imagine you get the first hour.... but instead of delivering the amazing second half of the film, the part with nail biting terror and suspense.... it doesnt... it goes nowhere and gives you none of that. Thats Prometheus.

Spoiler version.

The film begins strong, with a great set up and some amazing set pieces. The music is too nice, sounds more like a fantasy adventure movie theme than a sci-fi/horror theme.... it made everything seem lighter.

They demystify the space jockeys.... terribly. Instead of something interesting they are basically giant rubber humans.... not scary or interesting in the slightest...quite laughable.  David is the most interesting character...but unlike Ash he doesnt deliver one what the story promises. Many plot points are totally pointless or looked over. David spikes someones drink with the alien DNA. Why does he do this? they never answer this.... and it doesnt achieve anything. He doesnt seem remotely bothered by this plan he hatched up. When Naomis character gets impregnated, David drugs her up, specifically to freeze her and take her back to earth. So you think "ahh, the Weyland agenda"..... Now this is where you think the film is going to get amazing. 

The following scene in which Naomis character struggles to the medical bay machine thing, and has it perform an emergy ceserian.... is the best scene in the entire movie. That scene was AMAZING, it was literally like watching the ripley dream sequence from Aliens for the first time. I was on the edge of my seat, the music got all serious. I turned to my girlfriend and went "holy shit, this is just like Aliens". That scene was f**king amazing. From that point i expected the film to go down the route of 30 minutes of the new creatures killing people and Naomis character trying to survive and destroy the ship or escape.... This does not happen. Instead they kill the momentum with the most confusing and pointless plot twist that could have been imagined. Suddenly David and the others forget about the plan they had to freezer her. They dont seem to care, they ifnact allow her to come along with them and Weyland to speak to aspace jockey. I was literally banging my head at the severe stupidity of this. There are many scenes in this film where actions are taken and then discarded pointlessly. Many of the characters that Ridley spends half the film building up, are just discarded pointlessly.

Charleze Therons character ended  up being pointless. If you really think on it, she served no purpose and they never really put her character anywhere.  the creature designs sucked, they were terrible... you can tell H.R Giger hadnt designed them, you can tell Stan Winston is no longer with us also.  So many scenes get set up, but they just dont get used. So many possible stories get set up, but they dont get used. Instead huge plot holes get generated, aswell as some bad continuity to other Alien movies including the original Alien.

The ending was stupid. She decides not to go home, but to go travel the galaxy and visit the Space Jockeys home world.... Its that easy? What about supplies, food, etc. She can just hop into an Alien vessel with David (the guy that killed her husband, and tried to kill her multiple times) and go site seeing. Absolutely awful ending.  So much more i could write... but whats the point, youll either know exactly what im talking about... or completely disagree with me. Those are my thoughts, peace.

Good scenes
The sandstorm.
Medical Bay "Abortion"
Arm breaker face rape.

Thats about it.....

Bad... most of the movie.

Looks like you were expecting too much MrLee.

MrLee

MrLee

^ Was it really too much to expect Ridley to take the movie somewhere? Alot of people are saying similar things, i dont think i expected too much at all, Ridley just didnt deliver the movie many people were hoping to get.

The reason im so angry is because the first hour he sets the movie up perfectly, and with the medical bay scene he proves he can still do horror.... why why why did he miss the opportunity to give us a great tense finale?

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

ALIEN film or general Sci-Fi film, it's weak and lazy regarding the thematics who were supposed to be approached by the film. They have promised to us a trip about creation and evolution but there is almost nothing about that. It works because technically it's perfectly executed but in a matter of content for a big Sci-Fi film directed by Sir Ridley Scott, i'm sorry but i found it very poor. What can we expect from the Jon Spaiths, the man who wrote The Darkest Hour and from Damon Lidelof ? Nothing of course. Nothing but emptyness and xxx questions for no answers.

MrLee

MrLee

A few examples of how i feel, just to add a bit of light hearted humour to this situation.

Me to my girlfriend "Oh my god, this is just like aliens, this is getting awesome" *Film then gives plot twist*

When the credits roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtpyeLxVkI#

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

The facts.

1. Jon Spaihts - he turned in a first draft for The Darkest Hour and it was re-written several times
2. Lindelof - He has more hits than misses. He was one of many many writers on Cowboys and Aliens

I have a hard time people judging the art for them not liking it. But to each their own.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Promethean Fire on Jun 01, 2012, 04:29:48 PM
Quote from: RagingDragon on Jun 01, 2012, 04:25:18 PM
Thanks for answering my Hammerpede question^ :-\ disappointing, but not entirely I suppose.

The Hammerpede is kind of pointless actually. 
Spoiler
It has acid for blood, gets inside your body and kills you.  End of.  Millburn is the one and only victim of it.
[close]

So why is the hammerpede needed by the space jockeys? How does it fit into the life cycle of the
Spoiler
proto alien?
[close]
Perhaps they took its dna and mixed it with the same species as the thing that comes out of shaw to create the regular aliens we know of. (just not depicted in the film)

MrLee

MrLee

^ The Hammerpede isnt of any relevance, im sure its created accidentally when

*spoiler*

the little worns in the ground crawl into the black goo

*end spoiler*

Does anyone else agree the scene where they give the briefing to the crew is an corny as the AVP briefing scene?

"AND YET".  "An invitation".  Those two lines, the way they are delivered.... ... so cheesy.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: MrLee on Jun 01, 2012, 11:56:42 PM

*spoiler*

Now I'm confused, why do they have acid for blood then, if they were unintentionally created and not related in any way to the xenomorphs? Are the worms simply inhabitants of lv-223?
Also though if they grow into the hammerpede things in like 2 seconds I'll be pissed.  :D

MrLee

MrLee

Quote from: Ballzanya on Jun 02, 2012, 12:00:34 AM
Quote from: MrLee on Jun 01, 2012, 11:56:42 PM

*spoiler*

Now I'm confused, why do they have acid for blood then, if they were unintentionally created and not related in any way to the xenomorphs? Are the worms simply inhabitants of lv-223?
Also though if they grow into the hammerpede things in like 2 seconds I'll be pissed.  :D
People that havent seen the film and dont want spoilers, just dont read my posts if they have large paragraphs

Its over the course of a few hours. Im sure its the worms, they make a specific point of showing the worms upon entry. And then later showing the worms swimming in the pool of goo.

Ive no idea why they have acid for blood. One of the statues on the wall looks like THE alien... maybe its the same gene pool. Either way it makes no f**king sense. I mean, they make it as if the "proto alien" comes from an infected space jockey. So tell me why the space jockeys on LV-426 have the alien eggs stored as if they engineered them, why they have facehuggers that are all the same. If this one creature came from a mistake, long after the jockeys are gone. Tell me how this ties into the Alien saga. I cant see it.

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

I think the little worms and the Xeno-Snakes are two different things but both inhabitants of the planet.

MrLee

MrLee

Quote from: EEV-2501 on Jun 02, 2012, 12:04:24 AM
I think the little worms and the Xeno-Snakes are two different things but both inhabitants of the planet.

But the snakes are not there originally, they come from out of the goo, which is what makes me think the worms getting covered in it morphed into those. No scene indicates or suggests other ccreatures are there etc. Plus they can facehug and control which suggests a relation to the "DNA weapon Goo" the jockeys had stockpiles of.

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

I think they are just lurking around in the pyramid.

MrLee

MrLee

Quote from: EEV-2501 on Jun 02, 2012, 12:08:23 AM
I think they just lurking around in the pyramid.

Why did the geologists even go back into that room anyway.... *over 9000*

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

Quote from: MrLee on Jun 02, 2012, 12:09:17 AM
Quote from: EEV-2501 on Jun 02, 2012, 12:08:23 AM
I think they just lurking around in the pyramid.

Why did the geologists even go back into that room anyway.... *over 9000*
Cause the screenplay is lame. I don't know.  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed