Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 318,649 times)

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

For all that have seen the movie and were disappointed by it, do you feel the same way about Prometheus as the SW prequels?  In your opinion, was it that much of a tainting to the original Alien films?

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 01, 2012, 03:20:38 AM
For all that have seen the movie and were disappointed by it, do you feel the same way about Prometheus as the SW prequels?  In your opinion, was it that much of a tainting to the original Alien films?

i am in no way disappointed with Prometheus, its a great film and lives up to the hype in my opinion. It doesnt really step on the toes of alien that much apart from the ending. This is a stand alone film for sure.

Quote from: RoaryUK on Jun 01, 2012, 03:17:29 AM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 01, 2012, 03:10:30 AM
not so much the dialogue but did anyone else think the deaths were cut short of how they were intended to be seen, all of them were over far too quick with little or no reaction, even Holloways death was quick. the pacing was a bit too quick i felt.

I actually really came to like Holloway, and LMGs acting was convincing especially towards the end of his characters life.

Spoiler
The Hammerpede attack on Milburn was definately cut short, and the part where it's supposed to come out of him and get into someone else (Ford I think) has actually been changed, now the creature just goes back into the ooze
[close]

Spoiler
Fifields was too,unbelievably short. Do you feel, like me, that the film held back on the gore and horror level? i really felt like i was watching an 18 cut down to a 15!
[close]

Virgil

Virgil

Not at all. If anything (personally), it just adds to the mystery. In fact, with a few hours to dwell on it, it really adds someting to the whole franchise. I won't divulge further  :)

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Spoiler
The only things that bothered me was the editing of the last 20 minutes in which its obvious things are missing, and the pointless Xeno burster, which didn't look that bad, just totally out of place.  Overall I was satisfied, it's clearly a prequel that's trying to be something grander, but in the end the movies near downfall is that final scene which just didn't need to be there
[close]

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Not at all. I would have no issue with a certain amount of revisionism or ret-conning (or whatever it's called), or even coming up with explanations for things in Alien. I don't see anything in Prometheus tainting Alien at all.

My issue is totally and utterly to do with what I perceive as a bad execution of the story - not of the filming or the performances (Fassbender remains my favourite actor of recent times), but the script. Illogical scenarios, illogical character behaviour and poor dialogue.

In my opinion.

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: RoaryUK on Jun 01, 2012, 03:25:56 AM

Spoiler
The only things that bothered me was the editing of the last 20 minutes in which its obvious things are missing, and the pointless Xeno burster, which didn't look that bad, just totally out of place
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah, that scene did nothing for me at all. It felt like somebody mentioned at the last minute to throw something a little 'Alien' in the film.
[close]

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: ucdom on Jun 01, 2012, 03:26:21 AM

Not at all. I would have no issue with a certain amount of revisionism or ret-conning (or whatever it's called), or even coming up with explanations for things in Alien. I don't see anything in Prometheus tainting Alien at all.

My issue is totally and utterly to do with what I perceive as a bad execution of the story - not of the filming or the performance (Fassbender remains my favourite actor of recent times), but the script. Illogical scenarios, illogical characterer behaviour and poor dialogue.

In my opinion.

Yeah some of the dialogue was corny but nothing that you shake your head at in shame. A lot of people are hating on Logan marshall green but i actually thought he did a pretty good job

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 01, 2012, 03:28:52 AM
Quote from: ucdom on Jun 01, 2012, 03:26:21 AM

My issue is totally and utterly to do with what I perceive as a bad execution of the story - not of the filming or the performance (Fassbender remains my favourite actor of recent times), but the script. Illogical scenarios, illogical characterer behaviour and poor dialogue.

In my opinion.

Yeah some of the dialogue was corny but nothing that you shake your head at in shame. A lot of people are hating on Logan marshall green but i actually thought he did a pretty good job

Yes I liked LMG too!  He's a kind of sweet but cocky guy, who I think does a fine job with what little he has.

However, do we really need to hear Janek telling Fifield not to 'bugger' Milburn while they're lost?
Other lines do make cringe - "My job is to make sure you do yours" Yuk
"I'll collect on the other side"  bleugh
"They mostly come at night. Mostly"  Oh christ... oh hang on

Virgil

Virgil

Spoiler
There's also Janek and Vickers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18TLHhhHZCA#

[close]

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Well, at the risk of bringing down the wrath of some other contributors, I have no idea what the point of Vicker's character was. I think the movie would have worked equally well without her.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Virgil_uk on Jun 01, 2012, 03:38:20 AM
Spoiler
There's also Janek and Vickers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18TLHhhHZCA#

[close]

arrrrgghh yeah, thats was just awkward watch, felt really really forced. like someone said the stories there its just done in a lazy way at some points. And why did Idris not just use his 'StringerBellBaltimore' accent. Its fine in this but meh...

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: ucdom on Jun 01, 2012, 03:40:43 AM
Well, at the risk of bringing down the wrath of some other contributors, I have no idea what the point of Vicker's character was. I think the movie would have worked equally well without her.

Spoiler
Vickers was a torn character in the end, between being a natural leader and getting a job done, who sought to do the right thing when it mattered. Her character was far too underused and she should have lived for me. She was obviously opposed to her fathers motives for the mission but cared a great deal for him too. 
[close]

Divpax

Divpax

Wow.

Back from the 00.10 screening at the Glasgow cineworld and let me just say I am amazed! It had one of the greatest openings of any film I have ever seen, the 3D was absolutely gorgeous and was without a doubt the best I have seen in the format. Visually, the film is pure candy to the eyes, shoot in a truely stunning manor surpassing Alien itself. My biggest compliment however is David, Fassbender simply steals the show. My only real complaint is what happens in the last 30 seconds, the open ending itself was fine but
Spoiler
The proto-alien looks pretty bad, the human like teeth I loved but the whole shape and colour just felt off.
[close]

I did have the misfortune of seeing it with 2 friends whose opinions can be summed up as "was alright, too hyped though." and it was very hard for me not to show my excitement.

Just re-watched ALIEN before writing this and I'm honestly not sure what is the better film. No I'm not giving it a score out of ten my opinion on it should be plenty clear without having to number it.

BerserkerPred

BerserkerPred

Ok, just woke up.

First off, I did see the film, can't understand why that's so fĂșcking hard for you guys to understand...

and I filmed myself in the guest room, a room I have NEVER filmed in before, so idk why you thought i have...

Spoiler

David was dying his hair blonde while watching LoA

Even though I can't remember that many SPECIFIC small details about the film, I remember the dialogue being a bit cheesy at times like when Shaw says something about those "fancy super surgery bay thingys" and Vickers responds with "there were only 12 of them ever made" for some reason that just made me roll my eyes or when she says "he turned the camera off on me" I was like DUUUHHHH those were really the only lines that kinda urked me, most the other lines I was alright with
(loved David's line he gives to the Space Engineer before it gets pissed just wished I could remember it)

Also I was fine with a lot of the "unsolved mysteries" like why the Engineers created Human Life and then exterminate them later....I just hope they address that in the sequel.

ALSO IDK why right as Vickers is killed she seemingly runs INTO/UNDERNEATH the thing that lands on her? I thought that was kinda weird.

And Fifield (whatever his name was) as a mutated person was a bit weird-looking to me I could have done without that.

I will admit that the Weyland twist (him wanting the Engineers' powers/abilities and being Vickers' father) I did not see coming, even though I probably should have.

But in the long run I was still fine with most the stuff I've heard complaints about.
[close]

Kimo

Kimo

Just got back from seeing Prometheus...

First you know when you have a film thats average and another that is awsome? Well  Prometheus fits somewhere between them 2 categories. Its not average but it is also not awsome. I would say some were in the safe zone.

The good and bad
!!!!SPOILERS!!!!
Spoiler
Good:
It looks amazing.

Most of the Actors are great, i would say about 85% of them played there roles pretty well. Michael Fassbender was my favorite.

Inside the pyramid/engineer ship was awsome.

The engineer(s) looked good, i was thinking that a humanoid jockey dude would look pretty silly but i was shocked that he looked pretty dam good.

The ancient astronaut theory i dig. But with this type of film some will hate the idea that us humans came from the jockey race. But i like how Shaw still holds on to her cross and says something on the lines of who was the Jockey's creator. (well something like that)
When Shaw removes that squid looking thing from her belly it was great and tense.
I was glad we did get to see a form of xeno at the end of the film, even if it was just a 10second money shot for the fans.

Bad:
Music felt wrong, it was defo on the other end of the spectrum then what the score from Alien was. However dont get me wrong, the music itself was good it just felt it should of been in a differnt film. I did hear some music/sounds from Alien in Prometheus but it was very short lived. Also i felt the score(s) were sometime over used in parts of the film that would of been more tense if the was no music at all. (watch Alien and Aliens and even JC The Thing and you will know what i mean.)

The actor who plays Ford her accent was annoying. (personal option)

More engineer time would of been nice

WTF was that thing that came from shaw when it attack the jockey? i would not say it was bad, i just do not know what to think of it?

Overall:

I liked it but i am defo going to have to rewatch it afew more times to give my final verdict, but for now it is defo on the positive side. Prometheus was never going to be what Alien was, because the thing that worked for Alien was its mystery and horror. Every one of us on this forum pre Prometheus had our own ideas and theories of what the Jocky was, and why was the Alien created? Prometheus gives us a little taste of this, some of it works well and some of it leaves more questions than answers.

I like the way at the end of the film Shaw and David set sail to the jockeys homeworld, but you are left thinking is that the Derelict ship that somehow ends up on LV426? f**k knows cos Scott leaves all doors open and this is a good thing because it leaves Ripleys story alone, but at the same time making other possibilities for a sequel to a prequel. I just wish Prometheus was more darker like Alien was, but for what it was it was a safe ride. :)

Why typing this just now, i had the perfect thought of how to view Prometheus. It is like being a horny virgin and your hormones are raging to get your leg over. Then you finally get your leg over and done the deed, But it was never as awsome as your imagination wanted it to be, but the dirty deed was overall good. :D

Oh and another thing is that at the end of the film people were clapping... now i live in the UK and up north i never hear people clap infact this was my first time hearing people clap.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed