Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 316,873 times)

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Here's my question... Most big budget movies I saw recently that I didn't like (Cowboys and Aliens, Green Lantern) were dreadfully boring. Was anyone bored by this movie?

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

I wouldn't say I'm positively predispositioned to like the film, I'm just cautiously optimistic. I just read 5 glowing reviews of the film from other UK residents....such a dichotomy.

Valaquen

Valaquen

The film's good ... it is ... but its worst enemy is the editing, which really kicks the legs out from under it. I'll write a review.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Can't wait to read it, Valaquen. Really appreciate your take on the franchise in general. :)

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 01, 2012, 02:43:43 AM
The film's good ... it is ... but its worst enemy is the editing, which really kicks the legs out from under it. I'll write a review.

Hmmmm. That is strange. Almost everyone has said the editing is pretty awful, so I looked up who did the editing, and its the same guy Ridley has used for 15 years. Wonder what happened.  :-\

PROM3TH3US

PROM3TH3US

Editing...Haven't we heard that before?  I'm more anticipated for the Blu-ray sets with the longer DC. 

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Prime113 on Jun 01, 2012, 02:46:37 AM
Hmmmm. That is strange. Almost everyone has said the editing is pretty awful, so I looked up who did the editing, and its the same guy Ridley has used for 15 years. Wonder what happened.  :-\
Film has probably been severely trimmed to get a two hour runtime (ala ALIEN 3) for more showings per day, I'd imagine. That R rating was likely a double-edged sword.

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 01, 2012, 02:41:30 AM
I wouldn't say I'm positively predispositioned to like the film, I'm just cautiously optimistic. I just read 5 glowing reviews of the film from other UK residents....such a dichotomy.

Okay, cautiously optimistic (a good description of my feelings too before tonight). I hope you like it I really do. As for the dichotomy, I don't necessarily find that strange; it would probably be true of most things in life that different people have different feelings about various things. I, for instance, think Charlie Brooker is a comedy genius, and one of my colleague swishes he would curl up and die. A dichotomy, and perfectly understandable.

I hope that a dichotomy in our views of Prometheus will remain after you see it.

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: PROM3TH3US on Jun 01, 2012, 02:50:17 AM
Editing...Haven't we heard that before?  I'm more anticipated for the Blu-ray sets with the longer DC.

If there is a directors cut, that will not fix the overall editing. Yeah, it might help a few scene transition better, but I don't think that's the problem here.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 01, 2012, 02:50:43 AM
Film has probably been severely trimmed to get a two hour runtime (ala ALIEN 3) for more showings per day, I'd imagine. That R rating was likely a double-edged sword.

And now we have to wait for the Blu-ray release for the intented version, if they even give us an extented cut. Double edged sword indeed.

PROM3TH3US

PROM3TH3US

LOL, I was about to write that in my other post but I wasn't sure if he is using the same editor all these years.  Same problem with him sticking with Marc Streitenfeld after dropping Zimmer.  I guessed it's true Ridley is a puppet master and will only work well with the people who will do his bidding without confrontation.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Just came back from this and here are some quick thoughts.

[HERE BE SPOILERS!]

This was a bit hit and miss, in my opinion. I really liked the cast and especially Fassbender delivered a great performance. Rapace and Theron were good as well and I also took a liking to the characters Fifield and Millburn. The opening was my favorite part of the movie and I really liked what they did with the Engineers, even if the movie didn't really answered any of the questions about them the main characters had. Holloway was a total douche and I wasn't the least bit sorry to see him go up in flames. I must admit that I'm very disappointed about the way they killed off Vickers however. It felt like such a waste and I would much rather have seen her survive along with Shaw.

I loved the look of the movie, it was beautifuly shot. The design of both the Engineers and some of the creatures were great. Don't really know what to make of that last shot though, the look of that thing didn't really sit well with me. Looked kinda fake, to be honest. Same goes for old man Weyland, that wasn't very convincing.

It wasn't a bad movie though and I'm looking forward to seeing if the Director's Cut can solve some of it's problems.

Virgil

Virgil

You'll have to excuse this post. It's half past three in the morning and I am shattered.

After a half hour drive home (and some intense thinking) I've decided to remove my initial reaction and start afresh. My gut feeling upon walking out was disappointment. Now I'm tucked up in bed my feelings are shifting slightly. Flawed or not, you have to tip your hat to 20th Century Fox for giving this a summer release. I've been left with existential thoughts I highly doubt any other 'blockbuster' will come to for years.

The first fifteen mintues are some of the best I've ever seen from Ridley. Absolutely jaw dropping. It kills me that I cannot say the same about the ending.

Honestly though, people on this thread have expressed their feeling far better than I could hope.

A word of warning though, those expecting anything close to an Alien film (any of them) will be severely let down.

As for the 3D? This film (personally) is the best I have ever seen it used. You'd be doing yourself a massive injustice by seeing this film in 2D.

Goodnight  :)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Laufey on Jun 01, 2012, 02:56:10 AM
Holloway was a total douche and I wasn't the least bit sorry to see him go up in flames.
:)

<3

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: First Blood on Jun 01, 2012, 02:53:15 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 01, 2012, 02:50:43 AM

And now we have to wait for the Blu-ray release for the intented version, if they even give us an extented cut. Double edged sword indeed.

I thought Ridley and other people at FOX said that there wasn't a whole lot if any cut out...?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed