Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 318,335 times)

Eva

Eva

There are definatly things I love about it right now. The character of David and Fassbenders performance. That one grows on me and will continue to grow. I'm questioning and rumbling over how much he's aware of some of the choices he makes, some of his actions in the film - aware from a morally standpoint. Early, it's suggested that he, as an android, have no burdening morals (instant throwback to Ashs last words, describing the xenomorph and the reasons he admired it), but something in Davids response seems to suggest otherwise.

I love the intro sequence as well, early Earth, David walking around on the Prometheus in solitude, very 2001ish. I love how the engineer designs are realized, visuals, sound design, the unsettling sensation when inside the temple and juggernaut.

The film definatly has it's own voice - it's not an Alien ripoff and the ending sends the plot in an entirely different direction than towards 'linking up' with Alien. Hollow spectacle to me is something like Transformers, with absolutely no big ideas, no (human) characters you give a shit about but wanna make you press fast forward whenever they are on screen and then 90% of explosions, CGI and more explosions.

This is not in any way the embodiment of Prometheus - not to me anyway. The big ideas are there, controversial ideas, a couple of great characters and a director that actually cares. I'd much prefer a film wrestling with this, although flawed and not executed as well as you would like, to a film that has no creative ambitions whatsoever, no matter how succesfully it achieves its endgoal to essentially channel a big amount of nothing.  :)

PS: gotta go now or my boss will kill me

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Eva on May 31, 2012, 11:18:32 AM
There are definatly things I love about it right now. The character of David and Fassbenders performance. That one grows on me and will continue to grow. I'm questioning and rumbling over how much he's aware of some of the choices he makes, some of his actions in the film - aware from a morally standpoint. Early, it's suggested that he, as an android, have no burdening morals (instant throwback to Ashs last words, describing the xenomorph and the reasons he admired it), but something in Davids response seems to suggest otherwise.

I love the intro sequence as well, early Earth, David walking around on the Prometheus in solitude, very 2001ish. I love how the engineer designs are realized, visuals, sound design, the unsettling sensation when inside the temple and juggernaut.

The film definatly has it's own voice - it's not an Alien ripoff and the ending sends the plot in an entirely different direction than towards 'linking up' with Alien. Hollow spectacle to me is something like Transformers, with absolutely no big ideas, no (human) characters you give a shit about but wanna make you press fast forward whenener they are on scream and then 90% of explosions, CGI and more explosions.

This is not in any way the embodiment of Prometheus - not to me anyway. The big ideas are there, controversial ideas, a couple of great characters and a director that actually cares. I'd much prefer a film wrestling with this, although flawed and not executed as well as you would like, to a film that has no creative ambitions whatsoever, no matter how succesfully it achieves its endgoal to essentially channel a big amount of nothing.  :)
Everything you just wrote adds to my theory that in about 10 years, everybody will be able to line this (and it's inevitable sequels) up on their shelf alongside Blade Runner and Alien without it slanting unevenly to one side. Cheers me up.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Finally saw it. Like all critiques, they should be set in context and reflect an opinion as opposed to an emperical fact (IMHO). Therefore I'll keep it short and sweet...

IMO - Prometheus is the best Alien movie since Aliens... It is not as good as Alien, in terms of originality and genuine shock value... it's not as exciting/exhilarating/fun as Aliens. However, it blows every other xeno related movie out of the water. Prometheus is certainly the most beautiful looking Alien movie to date and its production values great. Pure Ridley... and his best movie for a few years.

I feel that my reaction was buffered/tempered somewhat by the earlier review of NGR01... as I was expecting something to be disappointed in (although it does indeed have its flaws... be in no doubt). Check expectations... Prometheus is not the second coming... it's not the perfect xeno movie we have in our heads. However, it's a really good sci/fi movie (which will appeal to a mass audience)...  and it is a really good Alien movie. 8/10

stroggificated

stroggificated

I read the reviews and i've got nothing more to say than

Quote from: NGR01 on May 30, 2012, 02:21:36 PM
Celticant,
Giger did shit on the movie :)
He was let go after a fight with production designer Arthur Max.
The creatures and sets are not his work but inspired by.

Unbelievable. Giger should never bother with these movie people again.  >:(

zuzuki

zuzuki

Quote from: Eva on May 31, 2012, 10:45:16 AM

More focus should have been pointed towards the last engineer as the 'main baddie' and less on the creatures. The film lacks a scene some 2/3s of the way in, with the surviving main characters having some very serious talks about the ramifications of what they've discovered up until that point and what their options are. As it is now, you've got a scene with Shaw and Janek and a scene with Shaw and Weyland doing essentially that, but imo they are only scratching the surface. I feel like there's a couple of scenes missing in this context.  :)
If a sequel is comig and they will go to the Engineer home planet, then i guess they saved the more complex human-engineers fight for hat one. If they would have let only the engineer be the big bad guy at the end of this one, then in the sequel it would look kinda like a recycling. This of course if a sequel is coming and i think it will. They clearely devised and thought about the space jockey culture with the mural and the altar, big giant head, they just didn't showed us what it means, pushed it back probably for the follow up. As in, that will be the center plot of the sequel along with the answers of why did they created us and why they want us dead.

Thanks for you review Eva. Clear headed opinions are difficult to find

Edit.

Ridley said in an interview that a few years ago he couldn't have made some scene at the end of the movie because of the tehnology available. So do you know what that scene is, what is so special about it?

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Zuzuki...wrap your text in spoilers.

NGR01

Quote from: bleau on May 31, 2012, 03:03:18 AM
Quote from: Mohawksinspace on May 31, 2012, 12:22:49 AM
ngr01 has debunked thee.

I haven't seen the fricken film and I could answer his question lol
(Curse you spoiler threads!!!!)

A item that ties into the main theme should not be forgotten.

You guys just need to understand he is not at all a die hard fan of the series like we are.  He seems like the casual movie go'er.

You don't have to be a fanboy to remember this kind of stuff.
My wife doesnt care for this movies and yet she could tell you what happens.
He just went thru all my poqt and quoted me.
Also i find it quite funny that he shows us a sunny south of France since it has been raining like hell and the state declared natural catastrophy there LOL

Here is something i have not adressed at all answer this and you're scott free ;)
I know you have not seen the movie but it's fun to pay nonetheless ;)

What is the bet between Ravel & Chance?
Again it's an important character devellopment device it pops in almost 3 times especially in one of the main moment of the movie so no way you can't rememeber.

Qwertify

Quote from: NGR01 on May 31, 2012, 01:08:30 PM
ngr01 has debunked thee.

You guys just need to understand he is not at all a die hard fan of the series like we are.  He seems like the casual movie go'er.

Also i find it quite funny that he shows us a sunny south of France since it has been raining like hell and the state declared natural catastrophy there LOL

Here is something i have not adressed at all answer this and you're scott free ;)

Again it's an important character devellopment device it pops in almost 3 times especially in one of the main moment of the movie so no way you can't rememeber.

I haven't even seen it and I know what it is.

They bet whether Janek will get it on with Vickers. That and whether she is a robot or not - you know Janek will find out that is. Also - whether the Aliens will be hostile or not. I guess there were!

NGR01

NGR01

Definitly agree with Eva you express perfectly what really annoyed me in the movie and what i loved. Glad to see that someone who saw the movie agrees with some of the stuff that annoyed me and that i'm not nitpicking ;)
That opening was trully magnificiant with LIFE playing ( but i said it before).
Agreed also on the fact that they should have focused on the Engineer and forget or even don't have the other creatures.
It has probably the most frustating rushed climax ever but i think there has been major stuff cut
Spoiler
like an actual brawl between Shaw and the Engineer wich would explain the missing shots like Shaw and her axe, her getting thrown against the chandelier and why the Engineer was burned in the trailer
[close]
I said to a friend that despite its flaws PROMETHEUS is by no way a bad movie,  i'll take it over any Battleshit or Transformerde we've been given these last years in term of scifi.
It's an apetizer and i don't get why because there was the means to make a main course. It's there!
I don't agree with the fact that some say "yeah but all will be answered in a sequel" i don't need that those questions answered since most of them have their answers if you pay attention, but why not answer them properly and then open doors to a sequel (wich is what the movie does in its last minutes) but it must also be self suficient, ALIEN does that (and many others). To write a movie already with the sequel in mind without even being sure that there will be a sequel is madness to me.
Like i said what scares me if if the movie is not a hit, Scott will probably not do the sequel himself, but fox will still do it with some new Paul Anderson/strause hack self proclamed ultimate PROMETHEUS fan...

mastermoon

mastermoon

Quote from: NGR01 on May 31, 2012, 01:41:27 PM
Definitly agree with Eva you express perfectly what really annoyed me in the movie and what i loved.
Glad to see that someone who saw the movie agrees with some of the stuff that annoyed me and that i'm not nitpicking ;)
That opening was trully magnificiant with LIFE playing ( but i said it before).
Agreed also on the fact that they should have focused on the Engineer and forget or even don't have the other creatures.
It has probably the most frustating rushed climax ever but i think there has been major stuff cut
Spoiler
like an actual brawl between Shaw and the Engineer wich would explain the missing shots like Shaw and her axe, her getting thrown against the chandelier and why the Engineer was burned in the trailer
[close]
I said to a friend that despite its flaws PROMETHEUS is by no way a bad movie,  i'll take it over any Battleshit or Transformerde we've been given these last years in term of scifi.
It's an apetizer

All we need now is the extended version on DVD and Blue-Ray ;).

Cvalda

Cvalda

After Eva's reviews and thoughts, my fan rage has definitely subsided a bit. I guess it really was too much to hope for an excellent addition to the series, but I suppose a solid one isn't too bad. I just want to see this goddamn thing so I can write my own review and get it over and done with :laugh:

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 31, 2012, 10:57:38 AM
In your own opinion is there anything about or anyone in this film that you could potentially love? I mean love like we love Parker and Brett, or love like we love the Sulaco? In other words, does this film have its own soul, or is it a hollow spectacle as some of the reviews seem to suggest?
To get adhered to someone/thing, I beleive, it should take time and several screenings, but as of now, strangely, I feel attached only to the creature, seen at the waterfall (opening sequences). The shot looks magnificent, falling water sounds powerful, and the creature is undescribably glorious...

Spoiler
His blackened eyes, roaring and what he did to himself (willingly or being coerced by those in the alien ship-saucer, who left him there) makes my cringe and feel bad for him... In my opinion this sole episode is more relevant to the film's name Prometheus and directly connected to T.E. Lowrence's phrase "The trick is don't think, it hurts", than all next 120 minuts of the film. But actually seeing all that process of his decaying alive hurts. And now knowing that his death originated the life on the Earth, I just can't help to not like this blue giant.
[close]

MemphisRains

MemphisRains

Very good but not awesome movie. Noomie, Charlize, Michael, Edris- was great in their perfomanses. Plot has
Spoiler
some questions and reserve on future (It's not a complete story)
[close]
which is not good. Movie has strong direction by Ridley and great design) I'll give it 8 out 10

Plokoon111

Plokoon111

I could see myself liking Elizabeth and the captain.

BerserkerPred

Quote from: NGR01 on May 31, 2012, 01:08:30 PM
ngr01 has debunked thee.

Did you miss the part in my video where I CLEARLY said its been really rainy here? I literally happened to record it right when the sun came out got like only a few minutes THEN it preceded to rain and hail as I was making my review

Also, I did not read any of your posts and honestly im a bit flattered that you think I could make a whole fake movie review of reading a few online spoilers  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed