Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 318,895 times)

bleau

Quote from: Mohawksinspace on May 31, 2012, 12:22:49 AM
ngr01 has debunked thee.

I haven't seen the fricken film and I could answer his question lol
(Curse you spoiler threads!!!!)

A item that ties into the main theme should not be forgotten.

You guys just need to understand he is not at all a die hard fan of the series like we are.  He seems like the casual movie go'er.

BerserkerPred

BerserkerPred

Quote from: bleau on May 31, 2012, 03:03:18 AM
ngr01 has debunked thee.

You guys just need to understand he is not at all a die hard fan of the series like we are.  He seems like the casual movie go'er.

I am a predator fan haven't kept up much of the Alien mythos at all I can't even remember any names of the characters in the original (alien and aliens) aside from Ripley and Dallas (because I live there lol)

oh, and Ash

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

I need to stay away from this website for the next week (impossible!). These reviews have me very intrigued, without even reading the spoilers.

To say I'm excited is an understatement.

TimmyTurnersDad

TimmyTurnersDad

Eva, that review of yours is spectacular! Can't wait to see it in a week or so! ;)

Bayo

now that you are talking about that scene with David and Shaw.
i want understand something
Spoiler
did David had his head completely
removed from its body and still could talk?
[close]

OpenMaw

Quote from: bleau on May 31, 2012, 03:03:18 AM
ngr01 has debunked thee.

The problem with this conclusion is the threads title is "my more detailed review vid of Prometheus" It helps to be able to recall details for a review to be detailed. Yes?  :)

aliennaire

aliennaire

Below is my couple of thoughts on this film:

It arrests your attention straight away from the very first moment and dosen't let up the grip untill the last minute, mostly because of two things: 1) stunning sceneris with breathtaking sights and completely realistical industrial designs, 2) overly intense and fast-changing succession of events. Owing to this both factor you never notice the film lasts for a liitle more than two hours: so absolutely compelling and overwhelming is it! Visually and audibly the sequences of landing/taking off ships are probably the best moments to treasure here! Obviously, it requires the second watching, and probably more than that.

In addition to totally stunning visuals/sounds you have completely believable characters - I mean everybody has their role played perfectly in the frames of what they have been entitled to embody. The problem starts when you try to understand why some character act this and that instead of what human would naturally be doing in the certain circumstances.

Spoiler
For instance I've been hugely puzzled and still don't grasp the thing who was the official leader of their mission? Saying that I mean: who was accountable and in subordination to whom? At one moment you see Vickers bragging of her company's money, at the other episode Holloway orders to go out to investigate the temple. When Fifild freaks out and all of a sudden decides to go back and takes Milburn with him, nobody bothers to get both to work...

On the other hand all characters behave towards each other like they don't give a shit about what happens to your crew member. Janek gets connection re-established with lost Fifild and Milburn and dosen't really show any signs of anxiety or hurry to resque both out of there ASAP.
[close]

Moreover, even praised performance of David and Show seems somewhat superficious to me, not mentioning other one-minute screen-time personages. Seems like hardship, tragedy, loss and terrible things done to main heroine don't affect her neither phyisically, nor mentally.

Spoiler
She is still springy on her legs after surgery and shedding tears at any subject of her belief after finding her gods are naturally malicious beings.
[close]

But I won't blame Scott for this, Lindeloff was eager to take the responsibility, so it's his fault. As well as rushed flow of events, especially to the end of the film, as if they were running of time and ideas how to cut it down seamlessly strictly to 120 minutes.

Spoiler
David, directing Show at the end of the movie, seemed somewhat out of place, at least to me.
[close]

But, probably, my main compliant with this film would about necessity to use Giger original images and connection to Alien series. Why all this, if you have such marvelous opening scene that perfectly works on its own? What was the need to resort to 30-years masterpiece conception, if you could create totally independent Universe and story without teasing all fanbase and cannibalizing Alien's mystery? In this connection I totally agree with the one idea shown here: some thing should have been left unanswered. Really, I wish this film didn't detract from the classic.

Spoiler
To use previously rejected Giger's designs just for the sake of them having been exploited somewhere or for the reason new production designers totally lack imagination to invent/draw something fresh?
[close]

As a conclusion: the film is worth watching at any rate! And I guess those who aren't so much into Alien series will like it more, than hardcore fans.

Prime113

Prime113

Glad to hear you liked it aliennaire!  :)

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: Prime113 on May 31, 2012, 07:37:31 AM
Glad to hear you liked it aliennaire!  :)
Partially, Prime! because it's a candy with it's images and ambience sounds (plus the familiar Alien score, played at one time), but i'm a bit dissapointed with characters and the editing of the end itself.

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

Going to see it again right now. I will post a second and more detailed review after. I hope this second screening will be better.

Eva

Eva

Just in to add a couple of things

I will be watching this for a 2nd time in a couple of weeks, depsite the issues I have with it. After a good nights sleep and a lot of reflection on what I saw, trying to connect dots and all that, those issues largely remain intact. Nothing I can do about that - revisiting it won't change that for now, I suspect. But the very experinece of watching big ideas presented through the lens of a visionary director is something I cherish, despite my reservations about parts of the execution and plot points. The visuals and sound design are just that good.

I forgot to mention the soundtrack - I think it's put to pretty effective use and in some scenes, spectacular use. The Life track plays in the opening flyover of early Earth and it's magnificent. That track and A Planets main riffs are used multiple times - my favorite tracks. But sometimes, I'd wish they had gone for silence instead of a score and a lot of the tracks tht didn't do much for me when listening to them without visuals, didn't quite register with me during the film either.

One note - if I'm not mistaken, I think that rythmic thumping sound in the Engineers track is actually the engineers heartbeat or some biological proces. It plays when David listens to his cryotube and you see his chest moving up and down.

Last - I'll recommend staying away from spoilers, if you haven't dived into it already. There seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding them (some warranted, some seemingly getting a life of its own, like a cancer tumor growing out of control). My point is that you risk becomming jinxed beforehand by having some negative vibe concerning specific details you've read about playing inside your mind, growing and finally becoming adjusted to 'that's just the way it is - period' - before actually watching the freaking film in question! Some details might come across better if you experience them with a fresh mind and watching them unfold in the context of the film you are watching.

Having a spoilerish disussion among a few people who've seen the film and a lot who haven't, isn't an even playing field to start with. You cannot avoid being influenced by what is essentially an opiniated version of what the film is about, and considering you've waited years for this film to materialize, why not give it another week? I'm trying to keep my thoughts as spoilerfree as possible - at least until the US audience has catched up with the film and we can have an even-sided discussion about the film.  :)

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Upon reflection, and despite the issues you have would you say you're a bit fonder of the film then you were initially?

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: Eva on May 31, 2012, 10:04:43 AM
One note - if I'm not mistaken, I think that rythmic thumping sound in the Engineers track is actually the engineers heartbeat or some biological proces. It plays when David listens to his cryotube and you see his chest moving up and down.

Spoiler
I interpreted this scene the same way as you, as if David was scanning the sarcophagous (using his robotic superior senses) and deducted the creature was alive, listening up to the heartbeat. David even seemed to smile because of discovering that fact.
[close]

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on May 31, 2012, 10:25:42 AM
Upon reflection, and despite the issues you have would you say you're a bit fonder of the film then you were initially?

I wouldn't say so, as my hope to start care about characters failed. I'd say I even more sympathized with them on what I saw in trailers. Probably, I just need to re-watch the film again, though...

Eva

Eva

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on May 31, 2012, 10:25:42 AM

I'm a bit fonder of some of the details I was somewhat... indifferent with, indifferent being a somewhat poor choice of word... neutral is perhaps better. The bigger issues I've mentioned - no, not really. The ending could and should have been better scripted and executed.

More focus should have been pointed towards the last engineer as the 'main baddie' and less on the creatures. The film lacks a scene some 2/3s of the way in, with the surviving main characters having some very serious talks about the ramifications of what they've discovered up until that point and what their options are. As it is now, you've got a scene with Shaw and Janek and a scene with Shaw and Weyland doing essentially that, but imo they are only scratching the surface. I feel like there's a couple of scenes missing in this context.  :)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

In your own opinion is there anything about or anyone in this film that you could potentially love? I mean love like we love Parker and Brett, or love like we love the Sulaco? In other words, does this film have its own soul, or is it a hollow spectacle as some of the reviews seem to suggest?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed