The Tomorrow War - sci fi flim with Chris Pratt

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Nov 11, 2019, 09:08:31 PM

Author
The Tomorrow War - sci fi flim with Chris Pratt (Read 1,997 times)

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Rankles75 on Jul 12, 2021, 04:20:04 AM
Saw it a couple of days ago. Fun popcorn flick with some impressive creature design. I've seen rumours of them doing a sequel, although I'm not sure how that would work.

The Sequel is in the SPOILER at the end.

SiL

... there's a spoiler button to hide stuff like that.

It's the yellow and black symbol :-[

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: SiL on Jul 12, 2021, 05:28:03 AM
... there's a spoiler button to hide stuff like that.

It's the yellow and black symbol :-[

Thanks. I have used a spoiler button on other boards, but couldn't find it here.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Saw it last night. Regardless of how derivative it is, the execution undermines that with an entertaining blockbuster. Aliens are great, and personally, I haven't seen such a cool design since A Quiet Place, and I think I like this a little more. So yes, it was definitely intended (and even developed) to be seen on the big screen.

One thing that wasn't clear to me though was the whole...

Spoiler
time travel thing.  :-\

I mean ... don't you think that a paradox was created by killing aliens in the past / present?

After all, the time travel that allowed Chris Prat's character to bring the toxin into the present to kill aliens could not have happened if the threat is annihilated in the past / present in the first place.

I'm not an expert and I could be wrong, but the only way this makes any sense is that Chris Pratt's character and his friends created an alternate universe where they stopped the invasion, Chris saved his daughter and also his own life (the car accident), but there must still be the original sad universe where all those bad things happened, even humanity's loss of the war.
[close]

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 12, 2021, 05:22:47 AM
Saw it a couple of days ago. Fun popcorn flick with some impressive creature design. I've seen rumours of them doing a sequel, although I'm not sure how that would work.

While part ll may end up being somewhat derivative and predictable, I liked the final mysteries that they bring...

Spoiler
All this about monsters being biological weapons created by a still unknown civilization sent in the year 946, in addition to the possibility that the Earth was not even the target. Although the latter was pure speculation of the characters, which may or may not be correct. And yes, the sequel was reported earlier in the month.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1413197351389474824
[close]

City Hunter Yautja

Ah the pitfalls of time traveling and continuities. That is why I've respected The Alien and Predator franchises for not using time travel.

To use time travel component effectively you have to write tightly and build your story methodically and meticulously. Most don't seem able to.

bb-15

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 13, 2021, 05:24:56 PM
Saw it last night. Regardless of how derivative it is, the execution undermines that with an entertaining blockbuster. Aliens are great, and personally, I haven't seen such a cool design since A Quiet Place, and I think I like this a little more. So yes, it was definitely intended (and even developed) to be seen on the big screen.

One thing that wasn't clear to me though was the whole...

Spoiler
time travel thing.  :-\

I mean ... don't you think that a paradox was created by killing aliens in the past / present?

After all, the time travel that allowed Chris Prat's character to bring the toxin into the present to kill aliens could not have happened if the threat is annihilated in the past / present in the first place.

I'm not an expert and I could be wrong, but the only way this makes any sense is that Chris Pratt's character and his friends created an alternate universe where they stopped the invasion, Chris saved his daughter and also his own life (the car accident), but there must still be the original sad universe where all those bad things happened, even humanity's loss of the war.
[close]

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 12, 2021, 05:22:47 AM

While part ll may end up being somewhat derivative and predictable, I liked the final mysteries that they bring...

Spoiler
All this about monsters being biological weapons created by a still unknown civilization sent in the year 946, in addition to the possibility that the Earth was not even the target. Although the latter was pure speculation of the characters, which may or may not be correct. And yes, the sequel was reported earlier in the month.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1413197351389474824
[close]

I enjoyed the movie. Creature design, CGI, pace, all good. Pratt is adequate as an action film actor. The rest of the cast is fine.
The script can be a bit clunky but I rate Tomorrow War 7/10. I'm willing to see it again.

* Is it derivative? Yes. From these movies for instance.

Spoiler
Starship Troopers, The Thing, Alien, Prometheus, etc.
[close]

Did that bother me? No. With so much science fiction being done in the last 50 years, almost every SF production today is derivative in some way.

* Time travel in recent big budget films/TV series; Putting Tenet aside, recent big superhero productions don't go into details about time travel.
For instance at the end of Marvel's Infinity War, Steve Rogers appears as an old man who has been married & has lived a quiet life. That requires a multiple timeline/universe to work. Is that explained? No. This alternate old Steve Rogers just is.

DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Marvel's Loki and The Tomorrow War work in similar ways. Time travel ideas are thrown out to serve the story and the viewer is expected to just accept it.
That's OK for me.

;)

City Hunter Yautja

Regarding the sequel rumors: MAJOR SPOILER BELOW

Spoiler
the ending with the ship and who brought the White Spikes to earth is the set up for the sequel: a la Engineers. It honestly had major Alien and Prometheus vibes on that ship in the ice.

[close]

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 24, 2021, 03:00:54 AM
Regarding the sequel rumors: MAJOR SPOILER BELOW

Spoiler
the ending with the ship and who brought the White Spikes to earth is the set up for the sequel: a la Engineers. It honestly had major Alien and Prometheus vibes on that ship in the ice.

[close]

Terrible idea, I know, but I was thinking the other day about  ;D
Spoiler
an Alien reboot, where Aliens infest Earth, and in the end it is discovered that they are biological weapons sent by Engineers / Space Jockeys. Then the sequels of this hypothetical reboot would be focused on exploring this civilization.  :laugh:
[close]

Quote from: bb-15 on Jul 24, 2021, 12:58:32 AM
I enjoyed the movie. Creature design, CGI, pace, all good. Pratt is adequate as an action film actor. The rest of the cast is fine.
The script can be a bit clunky but I rate Tomorrow War 7/10. I'm willing to see it again.

* Is it derivative? Yes. From these movies for instance.

Spoiler
Starship Troopers, The Thing, Alien, Prometheus, etc.
[close]

I'm glad you brought that second movie cos...

Spoiler

I thought similarly about The Thing: a biological weapon sent by a civilization to Earth in the ancient past to kill us. 🤔
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed