Question: Would Hicks have really wasted Burke?

Started by Prez, Nov 18, 2019, 12:40:08 PM

Author
Question: Would Hicks have really wasted Burke? (Read 7,740 times)

Prez

So something that always seem to cause a bit of conflict in me whenever I watch Aliens is the interrogation scene with Burke.

Hudson seems quite keen to grease the rat f**k son of a bitch and I never had a moment's hesitation believing he'd probably do it too but when Hicks states "All right. We waste him. No offense" do you think he would've gone through with it had Ripley not intervened or the power been cut?

Hicks never came across as the type that would kill a person in cold blood regardless of Burke being dog meat (pal!).

Apologies in advance if this was discussed elsewhere.

TheSailingRabbit

You're right, Hicks doesn't come across as the kind of person who'd kill someone in cold blood.

However, this is following roughly two-thirds of his squad getting killed. These were people Hicks had likely served with for years. They were his brothers and sisters. He had a solid reason to be more than upset with Burke for this mission being a f**k-up. It wouldn't be cold blood (in Hicks's mind), but vengeance for his Marines.

Yeah, I think Hicks would've gone through with it. It looked as though he was going to lift Burke up, shove him against the wall, punch him in the jaw, and deliver an execution that could easily be covered up. The place was going to blow to Kingdom Come, so it's not like anyone would be able to find Burke's body and suggest he was murdered.

Also, it would be worse if Burke had been left alone with Vasquez. She wouldn't hesitate to grease him if given the opportunity.

Doctor Ash

Guess he would have tied him up and left alone for the Aliens to deal with!

SM

Yes I think he would've.

Samhain13

Hicks had a really bad day.

Prez

Quote from: Doctor Ash on Nov 18, 2019, 01:46:53 PM

I suspect he'd do that rather than knife him or put a bullet in his head.

Huggs

He would've come close, but he wouldn't have gone through with it.

He'd either fire his gun next to Burkes head or stab the wall, but he would've managed to stop himself. Unless he kicked him out of Operations to fend for himself.

Regardless, Ripley was in charge.

SM

Quote from: Prez on Nov 19, 2019, 12:07:28 AM
Quote from: Doctor Ash on Nov 18, 2019, 01:46:53 PM

I suspect he'd do that rather than knife him or put a bullet in his head.

A bit sadistic for Hicks.

razeak

I think if he was being practical it was the safest course of action.

Valaquen

I think he would've. Cameron obviously didn't want to sully the character so he took it out of Hicks' hands and had an Alien take out Burke quickly thereafter, but it seems like the intent was clear.

Corporal Hicks

It's why I'm glad the whole Newt biting Hicks scene was also removed. It made him look too much of a jerk with the whole rabies comment.

Ronoc

I always thought it was more along the lines of letting Vasquez and Hudson have their way with him

JokersWarPig

Combat/Situational stress plus the fact that Hudson and Vaz would have been on board with it I think he would have. I don't think Goreman would have said anything to stop it, and I don't think it would have been put in any kind of after action report if they'd all lived.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Nov 19, 2019, 03:08:16 PM
Combat/Situational stress plus the fact that Hudson and Vaz would have been on board with it I think he would have. I don't think Goreman would have said anything to stop it, and I don't think it would have been put in any kind of after action report if they'd all lived.

Gorman even puts his gun to Burke's head. I think it's a fair chance anyone other than Ripley would've wasted Burke.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 19, 2019, 08:21:18 AM
I think he would've. Cameron obviously didn't want to sully the character so he took it out of Hicks' hands and had an Alien take out Burke quickly thereafter, but it seems like the intent was clear.
Another reason being the problem of Hicks murdering a man in front of a small girl.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed