A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered?

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Jul 03, 2018, 11:31:07 PM

Author
A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered? (Read 49,234 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 07, 2018, 08:17:00 PM
Local, what's your favorite Alien design? Is it the classic, just with the eyes perfectly concealed or do you prefer the Aliens look?

I think I'd prefer Stan Winston's, but with the canopy restored and a little more transparent to show off the sculpted ridges.  Alas, it doesn't exist, but that would be my ideal version.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 07, 2018, 08:50:22 PM
I think I'd prefer Stan Winston's, but with the canopy restored and a little more transparent to show off the sculpted ridges.  Alas, it doesn't exist, but that would be my ideal version.

So, basically what NECA did for their Burke two pack? The Aliens Warrior prototype.

Local Trouble

SM

QuoteHonestly, why go so stupidly convoluted when Biehn is ready to reprise his role as Hicks? 

'Cos Hicks is dead.

The Old One

The Old One

I've always felt that the proportions of Stan Winston's Alien were always a bit, exaggerated, the hands, chest, arms and neck- so it's silouette more than anything would be a strange mix of shapes.
In full view I don't think it works.

I think Alien Isolation and Covenant have two of the best Alien representations personally.

Perfect-Organism

It's all fiction folks.  Dead, not dead, it really doesn't matter.  Bringing back Hicks and Newt and Ripley would continue the Aliens story at its zenith.  That's all I got.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 07, 2018, 09:54:32 PM
It's all fiction folks.  Dead, not dead, it really doesn't matter.  Bringing back Hicks and Newt and Ripley would continue the Aliens story at its zenith.  That's all I got.

Sure, but the time to have done that was between 1987 and 1991.

The ultimate would have been to have Jim Cameron write the script, and have Ridley Scott direct it.

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 07, 2018, 09:44:41 PM
I've always felt that the proportions of Stan Winston's Alien were always a bit, exaggerated, the hands, chest, arms and neck- so it's silouette more than anything would be a strange mix of shapes.
In full view I don't think it works.

I think Alien Isolation and Covenant have two of the best Alien representations personally.

Winston's suit is very context sensitive in a lot of ways. The pain scheme is very dependent on the floods of colored light put on it. The ridges are there to catch contrast, the construction of the stunt suits being as basic as they are only work with fog and back light, basically.

Isolation, definitely.  I still prefer the humanoid legs though. Just because I prefer the Alien to be closer to a human in the physiological department.

Perfect-Organism

Why are you putting a "best before" date on it?  It's not eggs or something.  Look how many years there were between Bladerunner films, and that sequel was awesome!  Commercial success aside, it was one of the best sci-fi films of our generation.  I have no doubt that a good director could still do great things with the trio.

Vermillion

Quote from: SM on Jul 07, 2018, 09:27:18 PM
QuoteHonestly, why go so stupidly convoluted when Biehn is ready to reprise his role as Hicks? 

'Cos Hicks is dead.
''Twas only a dream

The Old One

The Old One

A good director could do more with new characters rather than needlessly returning to dead ones.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 07, 2018, 10:02:29 PM

Isolation, definitely.  I still prefer the humanoid legs though. Just because I prefer the Alien to be closer to a human in the physiological department.

I have mixed feels on the digitigrade legs, the ideal version for me would be humanoid legs that have an extra hidden joint so that the legs can move in the fashion they do in Isolation- but look unnervingly human almost like a broken bone.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 07, 2018, 10:07:19 PM
Why are you putting a "best before" date on it?  It's not eggs or something.  Look how many years there were between Bladerunner films, and that sequel was awesome!  Commercial success aside, it was one of the best sci-fi films of our generation.  I have no doubt that a good director could still do great things with the trio.

Because the apogee you referred to only existed because of the creative team behind Aliens, both in front of the camera and behind it. If you want to maintain the zenith, you'd have to do it when those performers and those people could come back together and actually do it.

Deckard wasn't dead. Blade Runner 2049 didn't have to jump through hoops to explain things or outright ignore details of other entries. It could just pick up the threads and travel down the timeline some years.

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 07, 2018, 10:12:03 PM
I have mixed feels on the digitigrade legs, the ideal version for me would be humanoid legs that have an extra hidden joint so that the legs can move in the fashion they do in Isolation- but look unnervingly human almost like a broken bone.

Ooh, that's a terrifying idea.

I'm not big on a lot of the Prometheus or Covenant creature designs, but the one thing I liked about the deacon and the neomorph was the way their limbs seemed to be double jointed almost. Almost like they could just snap everything around and turn themselves around if they needed to.

Huggs

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 07, 2018, 10:07:19 PM

Blade Runner had something going for it that the Alien movies have not had since the 90's. A good script. You can have all of the best actors, the best Director, and all the time and money in the world, and the movie will still be nothing but crap if the story sucks. Story is everything. It's the foundation of the entire film.

SM

It also had a protagonist who wasn't dead.

Huggs

I personally think the way was lost at Resurrection, not because of the humor or overall style of the film, but because they brought weaver back. Ripley was dead, it was done. Bringing her back felt like fan-service then and it would be even more-so now if N.B.'s film were made. In the alien universe, nobody is or should be safe.

The novels, the prequels, all of it has proven well enough that you don't need dead characters to be brought back to life just to have a good alien story. Let the dead lie.

SM

Ripley wasn't safe.  She died without even being given a chance to fight.

What was cloned was 'not her'.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed