Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 18, 2019, 08:28:03 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood! (Read 113,413 times)

Voodoo Magic

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! Much appreciated!

BlueMarsalis79

Yes very good stuff.

I'd love to see you do some commentating on older videogames Voodoo, I'd love you to be a part of the eventual Concrete Jungle LP for example.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 14, 2021, 03:52:55 PM
Yes very good stuff.

I'd love to see you do some commentating on older videogames Voodoo, I'd love you to be a part of the eventual Concrete Jungle LP for example.

I definitely think a retrospective podcast review might be fun one day! :)

Russ840

Russ840

Great podcast guys.

Really enjoyed the debate.

I am firmly on the side that Hicks and Ridge are on.  Thicker than Blood is No. 2 after the original series, for me.

On the original series. Hicks mentions Monica's water colour art from the original issues that were published. I read those last week and man.... I'm never reading the Trade again. I forgot how superior that colouring is.  There is Ron Cobb quality to the overall look.

I was doing a page by page comparison and it is night and day. The recolour is terrible.  I would love a modern recolour but...... I think a remaster of the original water colours would be better.   

Lost_Hunter

Great podcast guys! Looking forward to the next one. The Predators were going down to easy for me in the story but Doug Wheatley's art never disappoints. He's definitely one of the best to tackle the universe. I also highly recommend his Star Wars Dark Times Run if anyone's interested.

Voodoo keep fighting the good Fight!
We need to demand better Predators!

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 14, 2021, 12:01:07 AM
I disagree with Xenomorphine's view of Maria - yes, she was oftenly cruel towards her synth brother - emotionally as well as physically - but it didn't make her psychotic in my eyes, especially when I remember how I sometimes treated my younger brother (thinking of which fills me wirh shame). Maybe, I'm a psychotic myself - I hope not. And that moment when Maria hugs him - it felt SO good. Kinda makes me wonder: did Xenomorphine had any brothers or sisters growing up ? He was awfully quiet about that.

No, never had any siblings. But when I say psychotic, there were two or three panels where her expressions and violence honestly just struck me as far too over the top. I just feel that if it had been an adult character acting in that same way, many would be aghast at it implying abusive parenting, IMO.

All we can do, when undertaking a review, is to give personal impressions and, clearly, the other three didn't feel the same way as me. :laugh:

QuoteAlso, what's that "Real robot wouldn't do that and that and that" ? i mean, really ? Can't suspend your disbelief a bit more ? In a AvP story ? Geez

In a superhero-type thing, sure! 'Alien' and 'Predator' were always rooted in a more realistic precedent, though (at least, when they started). So, I keep that standard in mind for stories which are set within those continuities.

It's why many dislike 'Resurrection': It's regarded as superficial/cartoonish in comparison to the three films which came before it. It still has entertainment value and some nice dramatic moments, but that cartoonish/unrealistic vibe still needs to be acknowledged and won't be for everybody. For many, that ruins the whole film. Others don't mind, but would still prefer it wasn't there, given the choice. For a minority, it even contributes to what they love about it.

Admittedly, this is always going to be a personal bias thing for me, because AI was something I studied in college and my interest in it has kept with me. :) Aircraft mechanics/pilots feel the same about films with warplanes in them!

Quote from: Lost_Hunter on Feb 15, 2021, 06:15:34 PM

Make Predators Great, Again! :laugh:

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

You mustn't be keen on the way Ridley's view on synthetics has taken centre stage then with Ash and David, and the more robotic type has taken a back seat.

Kradan

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 15, 2021, 07:21:32 PM
You mustn't be keen on the way Ridley's view on synthetics has taken centre stage then with Ash and David, and the more robotic type has taken a back seat.

Haven't you listened to podcast review of Covenant they did back in 2017 ?  Still my favourite episode, btw

BlueMarsalis79

I did, I remember a considerable back and forth but not the actual specifics.

Kradan

Kradan

Well, that was the first time I've discovered Xenomorphine is a member of "What real robot should do " cult

I was flipping through the comic again and there's a moment that genuinely makes me chuckle and kinda adds up to Xenomorphine's theory that Maria is a psychopat: right after confessing that she loves her brother the very next thing Maria says is that they need to find something sharp to cut off Predator's hand. With a happy smile on her face  :D

XenoHunter99

I enjoyed the discussion. Great job everyone! I like how the left side and right side of the screen became like tag teams. Glad to see Hicks enjoyed his holiday swag.  ;D The artwork I've seen from the comics looks quite good. I haven't read it yet. I probably will at some point.

I don't recall the Covenant review podcast. I might have listened already, but that was a while ago. I'll have to look it up.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 15, 2021, 07:03:23 PM
Quote from: Lost_Hunter on Feb 15, 2021, 06:15:34 PM

Make Predators Great, Again! :laugh:

:laugh:

Lost_Hunter

I'll start making the hats, let's try and distance ourselves from the red. Hahaha

Kradan

I'll have that "distance ourselves from the red" reported to.my leaders ASAP

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 15, 2021, 07:21:32 PM

David 8? No.

Walter 1? Yes!

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 15, 2021, 08:41:20 PM
I was flipping through the comic again and there's a moment that genuinely makes me chuckle and kinda adds up to Xenomorphine's theory that Maria is a psychopat: right after confessing that she loves her brother the very next thing Maria says is that they need to find something sharp to cut off Predator's hand. With a happy smile on her face :D

Yeeeeeeeah...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed