Alien 3: A Sore Subject for Michael Biehn & Sigourney Weaver mourns "Hicks"

Started by Voodoo Magic, Aug 02, 2019, 08:16:36 PM

Author
Alien 3: A Sore Subject for Michael Biehn & Sigourney Weaver mourns "Hicks" (Read 31,190 times)

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 14, 2019, 12:20:37 AM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Aug 14, 2019, 12:03:33 AM
What's an after-fart? And do I want to know?

"A small emission of flatus, often harmless and non-noxious. Normally expelled immediately following the recovery period, during which the anus relaxes post-large fart. After-farts are most often bubbly or squeeky in tone, and typically register at or above an 8 on the Flatial Tonus Scale".

. . . I'm very sorry, Hicks.

SM

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 13, 2019, 11:04:23 PM
"Yeah baby" (Grunt) "Say my name" (Fart) "Aw God" (After-fart).."oh my Goooaaaa!" (Chicken beak bursts through chest)

I tried to avoid this thread . . . I really, really tried . . . but I regularly read Huggs's posts . . .

Look up 'follow through' on Urban Dictionary.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Aug 14, 2019, 12:23:13 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Aug 14, 2019, 12:20:37 AM

"A small emission of flatus, often harmless and non-noxious. Normally expelled immediately following the recovery period, during which the anus relaxes post-large fart. After-farts are most often bubbly or squeeky in tone, and typically register at or above an 8 on the Flatial Tonus Scale".

. . . I'm very sorry, Hicks.

You released the Kraken.

There goes your invite to the Rolston interview extravaganza!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Aug 13, 2019, 10:26:58 PM
Four words:

Zero
Gravity
Sex
Scene

You know I was just listening to the audio book of Alien earlier in the week and Parker tells a story in that about zero-G sex. It's been in here all along!!

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 14, 2019, 01:12:09 AM
There goes your invite to the Rolston interview extravaganza!

I'm not that big of a dick.

judge death

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 12, 2019, 02:42:35 PM
I really don't get it, complaining about various aspects of the film's real issues I understand, even if I disagree (pacing, composition, not empathising, editing) but I never seen the deaths of two/three of the most cliché characters in cinema to be one of them.
I think it boils down to people like the idea of ripley and newt and hicks in their eyes would become a family in the sequel and later go and kick aliens asses together as a super family and be immune to getting killed and wasnt wanting the series to remain horror but action movies after Aliens. Most fans of Aliens from my experience just to see more of Ripley and Hicks, more marines and weapons fighting even more xenomorphs and new versions of it, aliens v2. Wasnt there even a script for Alien 3 made with just that and some battle scene with hundreds of powerloaders and alien queens and marines and xenos battling it out? xD
Pretty much that is what I hear most fans wanted and well myself too when I was 10 years old.

Now: Hell no, prefer what Alien 3 did actually and the idea of a super family fighting aliens went out the window.

Valaquen

Quote from: judge death on Aug 14, 2019, 06:17:27 PM
I think it boils down to people like the idea of ripley and newt and hicks in their eyes would become a family in the sequel and later go and kick aliens asses together as a super family and be immune to getting killed and wasnt wanting the series to remain horror but action movies after Aliens.

I see this assumed a lot, but none of the unmade Aliens sequels (alternate scripts, DH comics) portrayed Newt, Hicks and Ripley as an anti-Alien fighting family. Most people say they were mad about how the characters were killed off (during the credits after one of the more infamous ass-pulls in recent film history), not that they died.

judge death

Most fan stories I read on deviantart and other sites have however most stories about Ripley and hicks and newt being a family and later either weyland yutani or xenomorphs stop their happy lifes.
But yeah besides that one with hundreds of power loaders, not too many movie scripts have the family idea, thankfully.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Valaquen on Aug 14, 2019, 06:31:40 PM
Quote from: judge death on Aug 14, 2019, 06:17:27 PM
I think it boils down to people like the idea of ripley and newt and hicks in their eyes would become a family in the sequel and later go and kick aliens asses together as a super family and be immune to getting killed and wasnt wanting the series to remain horror but action movies after Aliens.

I see this assumed a lot, but none of the unmade Aliens sequels (alternate scripts, DH comics) portrayed Newt, Hicks and Ripley as an anti-Alien fighting family. Most people say they were mad about how the characters were killed off (during the credits after one of the more infamous ass-pulls in recent film history), not that they died.

Yep, that's the reason as I see it. And definitely not the whole people just want a dumb Alien Ass Kicking Super Family to diminish any real criticisms angle.

Alien 3's opening alone is tremendously flawed regardless who dies. Killing off characters cold during the opening credits, Hicks, Newt or entirely someone else embodies nothing for the audience except faceless, empty, meaningless, emotionless deaths. Then the viewer is forced to endure the impact of these meaningless deaths as meaningful for a long duration, even though they have built absolutely zero percent of an emotional connection to the audience within this film they're watching. Who are we grieving for? We hope you watched Aliens recently! But hopefully not too many times that you think it was a disservice to them! Such an important event thrown away in opening credit flashes is just jarring and doesn't serve your narrative the best, regardless if there was behind-the-scenes reasons why you had to do it.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: judge death on Aug 14, 2019, 06:39:03 PM
Most fan stories I read on deviantart

Well there's your problem.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 14, 2019, 08:27:09 PM

I put a lot of heart and soul into my fanfiction, but at the end of the day, it's fanfiction, written by a singular person. That singular person, no matter how good, bad, or horrendously ugly their fanfiction is, does not represent the fanbase as a whole.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Aug 14, 2019, 08:40:54 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 14, 2019, 08:27:09 PM

I put a lot of heart and soul into my fanfiction, but at the end of the day, it's fanfiction, written by a singular person. That singular person, no matter how good, bad, or horrendously ugly their fanfiction is, does not represent the fanbase as a whole.

A hell of a lot of it is wish-fulfillment, so of course it's where you'll find the Happy Families stuff for Aliens. I didn't say anything about quality.

Perfect-Organism

I definitely still want to see the core unit of Ripley, Hicks, and Newt together on an adventure as Newt gets old, BUT I never wanted, nor do I want that perfect family image of the three of them settling down somewhere.  I'm much more into the dysfunctional reunion as presented in Aliens Book 1 from Dark Horse Comics circa 1988.  That made sense at least from the family unit perspective.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

People can say what they want, but as someone who lived through the time the comics were being published post newt and hicks, MANY people wanted what judge said.

Those three were going to become the bug killing jedi of the Alien verse.

I didn't have the years of attachment to the characters that people did.  I was 7 when Alien 3 came out and didn't watch either of the sequels until I was ten and the original sometimes later.  This was the VHS era and mass distribution of film wasn't like it is now.  At least where I lived.  Plenty of movies to rent, but not very many to own. 

So despite Aliens being my favorite movie for much of a decade, it still didn't quite kick me in the nuts like it did people who watched Aliens in 86 (I was one year old) and then waited 7 years for those characters to be killed off. 

SM

As long as you don't look too closely at Newt being abandoned by both her 'parents'.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 14, 2019, 11:47:04 PM
People can say what they want, but as someone who lived through the time the comics were being published post newt and hicks, MANY people wanted what judge said.

I didn't have the years of attachment to the characters that people did.  I was when Alien 3 came out and didn't watch the sequels until I was ten and the original sometimes later.

So despite Aliens being my favorite movie for much of a decade, it still didn't quite kick me in the nuts like it did people who watched Aliens in 86 (I was one year old) and then waited 7 years for those characters to be killed off. 

True dis.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 14, 2019, 11:47:04 PM

I didn't have the years of attachment to the characters that people did.  I was when Alien 3 came out and didn't watch the sequels until I was ten and the original sometimes later.

My cojones are still smarting..

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed