How The Predator Will Solidify The Series' Complicated Continuity

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 18, 2016, 06:00:24 AM

Author
How The Predator Will Solidify The Series' Complicated Continuity (Read 41,793 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on May 21, 2016, 12:55:21 AMI saw the Predator films as a two-branched tree time line.

But why? That's simply unnecessary. Predators can perfectly reasonably take place after Predator 2.

Predator_Spirit

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 21, 2016, 10:08:35 AM
Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on May 21, 2016, 12:55:21 AMI saw the Predator films as a two-branched tree time line.

But why? That's simply unnecessary. Predators can perfectly reasonably take place after Predator 2.

You ignore it top. ;D

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 21, 2016, 10:08:35 AM

I'm one the fans that doesn't really like Predators. If you've read any of my posts on some of the other threads, you'll know why. In the interests of keeping on topic, all I will say is for Predators to be a sequel to Predator 2, there should be some correlation between the films and there isn't. Predators borrows nearly everything from the original film and takes nothing from 2, no weaponry or costume design, any mention of OWLF or the events of the film (LA, police and gang wars, Harrigan, etc) but clearly makes reference to the original.

Can it take place after 2? Yes. Considering the fact the film makes absolutely no references to 2 and plenty to the original? 2 branched tree. 

Corporal Hicks

One of the strengths of the Predator series is just how easily it can do that. It could be quite a bit of anthology type series, focusing around just the concept of a Predator. It doesn't follow a continuing storyline throughout the films but that doesn't mean they're not all sequels. Sequels aren't necessarily things that follow the same storyline, they can follow the same themes or concepts. Predators does and would appear to be chronologically after Predator 2.

HuDaFuK

80% of the Bond films make no reference to the preceding films, it doesn't mean they're all part of some multi-branched tree.

overthere

Predators could use a direct sequel. It's not fair to just leave them on that planet like that. And they said they saved the coolest stuff for the sequel which never came.

I wouldn't mind having 2 different sets of sequels. One is Predator and the other is Predators. They'd largely be independent of each other, but could merge into one after a while. Like a huge build up.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: overthere on May 23, 2016, 10:23:46 AM
Predators could use a direct sequel. It's not fair to just leave them on that planet like that. And they said they saved the coolest stuff for the sequel which never came.

I wouldn't mind having 2 different sets of sequels. One is Predator and the other is Predators. They'd largely be independent of each other, but could merge into one after a while. Like a huge build up.
This is true. The ending was an open one. I think this would be fine.
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 23, 2016, 09:58:04 AM
One of the strengths of the Predator series is just how easily it can do that. It could be quite a bit of anthology type series, focusing around just the concept of a Predator. It doesn't follow a continuing storyline throughout the films but that doesn't mean they're not all sequels. Sequels aren't necessarily things that follow the same storyline, they can follow the same themes or concepts. Predators does and would appear to be chronologically after Predator 2.
I would agree. Even Google allows wiggle room: "a published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one."
Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 23, 2016, 10:12:51 AM
80% of the Bond films make no reference to the preceding films, it doesn't mean they're all part of some multi-branched tree.
The Godzilla franchise is similar. With 30 films under its belt, there are 3 major eras of films, Showa, Heisei and Millenium. There's also the American films, Godzilla 98 that is a standalone (due to being a pile) and the new Legendary Godzilla, which is slated for direct sequels. So while there are many films, they do not all fall in a single line with each other. So to use my tree analogy, one tree is Japanese, with 3 branches and a 4th with the new film coming out, all based on the original from 1954 and the American films are basically a bush and a sapling that will grow.
                --->Predators
Predator --->Predator 2             They all build upon the events of the original. Why does the continuity have to be linear HuDa? Honest question.
                --->The Predator

RakaiThwei

I agree with PJ_1990. He seems to get the idea and I have been saying it since PREDATORS-- and while I do understand that people do see it as a definitive third sequel, I do not considering that I take Robert Rodriguez's word as the final one, considering that it was his brain child more than anyone else's of course.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 24, 2016, 04:14:33 AM
I agree with PJ_1990. He seems to get the idea and I have been saying it since PREDATORS-- and while I do understand that people do see it as a definitive third sequel, I do not considering that I take Robert Rodriguez's word as the final one, considering that it was his brain child more than anyone else's of course.

You're just being selective because of your own preferences. What if The Predator comes out, is badass and everyone loves it but it doesn't acknowledge Predator 2 either? I can't even fathom where you begin to think that you can't take the word of the producer that it isn't the third film despite the fact it is the third film in the Predator franchise. It is the third to be made and takes place after Predator 2.

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on May 24, 2016, 02:38:13 AM
They all build upon the events of the original. Why does the continuity have to be linear HuDa? Honest question.

Because they are linear. They all take place one after each other in time.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on May 24, 2016, 02:38:13 AMWhy does the continuity have to be linear HuDa? Honest question.

Because there's absolutely nothing to suggest it isn't. There is literally nothing in Predators to suggest it doesn't happen after the second film, so saying it's some parallel universe or alternate timeline is just needlessly complicated and based on nothing.

Corporal Hicks

Considering Royce is using an AA-12 which I don't think really became widely used until after 2005, I can safely say that Predators takes place after Predator 2.

overthere

I feel like if she knew about Dutch, she should have known about Harrigan too. That Predator was even documented.

HuDaFuK

How exactly she got the report she read on the incident in Val Verde is never made clear. There's no reason to assume she had access to literally all the reports on Predator encounters that have ever been documented over the years.

Johnny Handsome

http://www.heyuguys.com/shane-black-the-predator-details/

For anyone still wondering, Predator 1 + 2 have happened and will be acknowledged, there is no alternate timeline, as some seem to think.

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

Shane said Predators was in the future but it wasn't it was set in Present day just in space. So Predators was 23  years after Predator and 20 years after Predator 2. Not once did Robert or Nimrod say it was in the future. Fox even says its present day.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed