AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 679,156 times)

SM

SM

Only if they can pull it off.

P-Rock

P-Rock

AVP has a lot of flaws, but it's a perfectly entertaining popcorn flick and at least Anderson knows how to shoot an action scene. The Strause brothers are two fanboys who just wanted to put in as many references to the Alien and Predator movies and stomach churning moments as possible, without caring about good acting, a decent story or even if we can see the damn movie. Also, Chet looks ridiculous. AVP has Lance Henriksen and a Queen.

Cellien

Cellien

Wow.  I watched AvP-R the first time since it hit Blu-Ray. 

What an absolute piece of trash this film is.  We have all these characters we follow, all with extremely dull development; none of which show any reason why we should be following them.  They could have quite literally picked any person at random in the town and it would have made zero difference. 

Everything xeno related, including the PredAlien, looks like a rubbery/foam creature from Power Rangers with lots of Vaseline applied to show up in the god awful dark color grading that makes any and everything hard to see.  I have watched this on different HDTVs and projectors, and it's a showcase of how not to grade a movie; with blacks that get so crushed there is no discernible difference between the background and dark area on the creature.

The "build up" to the nuke felt like someone was trying to tell a joke, forgot all the lines, but delivers the punch line anyways. 

AvP is, by orders of magnitude, a much better, yet still flawed, film.

Scorpio

Scorpio

I have a bit of nostalgia for AVPR.

RexXeno

RexXeno

I personally enjoyed AvP more then AvPR while I do agree they're both bad movies, I can't help but have a soft spot for the first AvP it's a guilty pleasure for me, while I wish A LOT of things could've been handled in both films (characters, plot, CGI, consistency with both species) I do feel that objectively the first one wasn't as good as my opinion likes to say, but also objectively it's better then AvPR.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I agree

AvP, while flawed, is lightyears ahead of AvPR.

I was barely able to sit through AvPR the second time. I doubt ill ever watch it a third time.

Wweyland

Wweyland

I have nostalgia for both but I think the first one is much better.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I was doing an alien/predator franchise movie marathon recently, I got up to AVPR but found that I couldn't finish it, managed to endure it up to the hospital hive scene then turned it off. I will have to get myself drunk I think before considering finishing it. I still got Prometheus and Covenant to do as well, at least they will be easier to deal with.

Lionhart

Lionhart

Story - AVP

Predator design - AVPR

lost dragon

lost dragon

Picked up AVP on UMD disc for the PSP a few days ago and this was my 1st repeat viewing in years.

I came away thinking it actually wasn't as bad as i remembered :-))

Nice set pieces, Lance H. is always a joy to watch, matey boy from Son's Of Anarchy was in there etc..

However i still really struggle with the slow-motion stuff and loathe the 10 minute gestation period for  the Aliens...

The last aspect really kills it for myself.

TheLoneRanger

TheLoneRanger

AvP:R for Wolf and Wolf alone

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Wolf wasn't exactly a good Predator, fans may like him because he was only bearable thing in a very bad movie but he was not competent, he was supposed to be a veteran, yet he acts like a newbie. Getting tantrums when wounded (being wounded should have been expected on a mission like this) causing blackouts and releasing the Xenomorphs from their hive, losing his weapon to humans, skinning a human for no reason (which would brought unwanted attention)

Wolf may look cool, have some cool toys but he was incompetent.

Huntsman

Huntsman

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 10, 2018, 04:22:05 AM
I agree

AvP, while flawed, is lightyears ahead of AvPR.

I was barely able to sit through AvPR the second time. I doubt ill ever watch it a third time.
Agree completely. AvP has a cooler setting (haha) and a better concept. The Aliens are depicted as serious threats and the action is better. The extended edition also makes the film better, even if in a small way. I actually don't mind the film to be honest. But Requiem? Yuck.

ChanceVance

ChanceVance

Requiem is a horrible film, you think about how hard it is to get projects green-lit in Hollywood and come to the realization this was one that got through. Human characters are cardboard cut-outs, who are these people and why should I care? They're somehow stupider than the disgraceful representation of Xenomorphs put to screen. It's a complete abomination. 

You know what though I absolutely love it. Two stoners get their heads blown off, I'm laughing my own off watching it. Wolf is one of my fave Preds of the series. As stated he's actually pretty incompetent in many areas but in some parts at least he gets shit done. I love seeing him solo fighting Xenos, that's a Predator in peak fighting form to me.   

I think the concept is actually brilliant if executed correctly. I mean take that pizza guy for instance saying he couldn't do anything when they attacked. Imagine the implications behind that. You're at work, probably just having a chat with friends/co-workers and then this creature of nightmares comes and ends it all in the blink of an eye.

Like shit that is a terrifying thought and moments like that could make you feel the human weight of the story. That lies in a reality with bigger budgets and much, much, did I say much better story writing and acting.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

AVP is better in every way. It's actually a well structured and original story with great set design, great mix of practical and cgi effects and great cinematography. It may not be perfect but you can tell Anderson actually gave a shit about what he was doing. It never got convoluted like Prometheus and covenant and it never became mind-numbingly stupid like AVPR and The Predator.

Oh and for everyone who says Wolf was the saving grace of AVPR: you do realize the aliens were turned into 4-foot-tall pussies, right? Praising wolf is like praising a boxer who's fight was rigged for him to win.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed