J.W. Rinzler's The Making of Aliens

Started by felix, Sep 16, 2019, 05:18:33 AM

Author
J.W. Rinzler's The Making of Aliens (Read 56,183 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 31, 2020, 06:22:23 PMOn my shelf I have T1 and T2 books. No T3 and Salvation. Making of 300. No 300 Rise of the Empire book. Thor Ragnarok both the Art and Making Of Books. No Thor or Thor: The Dark World Books. It's why we are getting David Cronenberg's The Fly book but probably will never see a book on its sequel. There's often just not enough market for the perceived lesser movies unfortunately.

Sure.

But I've got mates who own even more films than me and not a making-of book in sight.

Most of the time I imagine you have to be really invested in the movie/series to buy books like this.

Darwinsgirl

And.....you have to be a "reader".

If you look at comics today vs comics from years ago the panels were full of word balloons. Not so today.

Movies come with deleted scenes,makings of and commentaries.

And I agree you have to be "really invested" to purchase a printed book such as this.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Yes, really invested, in the movie, but not necessarily the fandom itself. An example for me is Mad Max: Fury road. That film was so good to me I picked up the art book, I acquired all the prequel comics post release and the trade, but you won't find me in Mad Max communities or seeking out content on "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" because it wasnt the same joyous experience for me as Fury Road. A hardcore Mad Max fan would, but not me. I'm just into really good movies, I'm into moviemaking and learning how a great movie got made.  :)

Kradan

Kradan

I guess, someone who already purchased Making of Alien/Aliens books would happily pay once more for a third one

SiL

SiL

They could reasonably base projected sales on how well the other two did, and compare with how Alien-3 related merchandise does compared to the other films.

I still feel their resistance wasn't purely financially motivated though.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Sep 01, 2020, 11:10:11 AM
I still feel their resistance wasn't purely financially motivated though.

Voodoo Magic

Here's another good example even here. On the Predator: The Archive thread, a few people got excited over the upcoming Fly book:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=64093.0

I'm betting there's a good chance Fly II would not elicit the same responses at the same frequency, i.e. less sales, regardless if it may have an interesting backstory. That is what I think Alien3 and Alien Resurrection is partially up against.

Nightmare Asylum

My copy of this is arriving today.

Though I, ashamedly, have not yet broken into my copy of last year's The Making of Alien yet soooo... it might be a little bit of time before I give this one a go. :D

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 01, 2020, 11:16:49 AM
I'm betting there's a good chance Fly II would not elicit the same responses at the same frequency, i.e. less sales, regardless if it may have an interesting backstory. That is what I think Alien3 and Alien Resurrection is partially up against.

You'll have to forgive me if this is talking out of my ass, but Alien 3 is notorious for its production troubles, making it "more" than just a poorly received film.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 01, 2020, 03:06:53 PM
Though I, ashamedly, have not yet broken into my copy of last year's The Making of Alien yet soooo... it might be a little bit of time before I give this one a go. :D

Ha. I'm still slowly working my way through. I can beast through the novels and comics quite easily, but these ones take me longer to digest.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 01, 2020, 04:10:44 PM

You'll have to forgive me if this is talking out of my ass, but Alien 3 is notorious for its production troubles, making it "more" than just a poorly received film.

Haha. Thanks a lot. All I can envision now is this!  :laugh:

Since I'm so close to these franchises, I try my best (sometimes unsuccessfully) to remove myself from the equation. I try to think of films I'm not a fan of... recent stuff like Ant-Man or Solo, films that I do not like and had production troubles including director resignations / firings, and would I be interested in investing money and time in such a book to read about the woes. At least personally, I lean to not when I'm not a fan of the movie.

Then again, we're assuming this Alien3 book would even get into the nitty-gritty of the infighting. If David Fincher himself wrote it, then all bets are off!  ;D

BlueMarsalis79

With Alien and Aliens being highly successful lighting in a bottle stories. In terms of a BTS story though AlienĀ³ takes the cake, nothing comes close to it's infamous production troubles, except perhaps Dune.

Russ840

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Sep 01, 2020, 04:54:35 PM
With Alien and Aliens being highly successful lighting in a bottle stories. In terms of a BTS story though AlienĀ³ takes the cake, nothing comes close to it's infamous production troubles, except perhaps Dune.

The Predator ?

Elmazalman

Here's another good example even here. On the Predator: The Archive thread, a few people got excited over the upcoming Fly book:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=64093.0

You know, if the PREDATOR book only covered the first two Kevin Peter Hall films, I'd be interested.

Looking forward to The Fly book. About time. There's enough gruesome imagery in the film to make the book really special - nice 'n' juicy.

Prez

Prez

Was visiting a second hand book store yesterday and saw Rinzler's Making of Star Wars for sale for $50. Was tempted but watching the bank balance right now.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Prez on Sep 02, 2020, 01:33:19 AM
Was visiting a second hand book store yesterday and saw Rinzler's Making of Star Wars for sale for $50. Was tempted but watching the bank balance right now.
Was it the expanded version with the storyboards at the end of the book?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed